Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Higgys 80 restor/project

Had a couple of hours today, removed rear antiroll bar and clamps and the spare wheel mechanism and its support plate, Oh and the shocks, It just makes it so much easier to work the more things you take off. and I can get them in the workshop clean 'em' up and paint ... The 3rd row seats wont be going back in nor the belts and mechanisms, so they will be up for grabs There in good condition, but just caked in mud.. No rips as I can see.. collection only if anyone wants them... (Not Leather)

Last edited:
I’ve drilled out 2 lockers from my T5 camper, was a bit of a pita, but just took lots of small steps up in side then used a small Stilson to remove the remaining stud, but you could weld a nut on once the wheel is off

Cheers

My missus doesn't like me that much. Shes just glad im out the house:thumbup:
You’re clearly not buying her the right sort of shoes…:)

Looking forward to seeing this one when it’s finished. You’re making all the right noises this time. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just a quick update of progress and a few pics... I was rather surprised at the performance involved getting the front Discs off!!!!!! I had to get the remains of the brake plate anyway but I thought what a Faf! if you just wanted to change 'Yer'front discs.. Anyway gave me a chance to inspect shafts , Bearings etc.. And all is good. Front springs are all good.. But the front shocks ended up in the Bin. Prop shafts removed and UJs are all good.. so some fresh paint and bang em back on.. The paint im using is Brantho Korrux. Sea salt total Immersion paint for steel work on Boats.. so all the parts and Chassis are going to get plenty of that.. Blue and light grey are the only colours iv got... could have been worse I also found some Orange.. pic No 7 is all that's left of the front brake plates... Thanks ... More soon

DSCF9554.JPG DSCF9555.JPG DSCF9556.JPG DSCF9558.JPG DSCF9559.JPG DSCF9560.JPG DSCF9561.JPG

Good work there happening man! In your own time is the best way to tackle a restoration job. It's more of a challenge to restore than just buy a running example. I like your style,it will happen!:thumbup:

I did wonder when I did my brake conversion why bother with the backing plates. I ran my defender for 10 years with no backing plates and that was fine. I took them off due to getting a lot of small stones stuck between the disc and the plate. I don't get this with the 80 so left then on.

What you thinking of doing?

I did wonder when I did my brake conversion why bother with the backing plates. I ran my defender for 10 years with no backing plates and that was fine. I took them off due to getting a lot of small stones stuck between the disc and the plate. I don't get this with the 80 so left then on.

What you thinking of doing?
The rears are repairable.. But obviously not the fronts.. so il try and source some second hand.. Did think about not replacing them but isn't it a MOT failure ?. iv had trucks fail before because they were shagged.. So don't know.. Id like to get some if I can..

Last edited:
The rears are repairable.. But obviously not the fronts.. so il try and source some second hand.. Did think about not replacing them but isn't it a MOT failure. iv had trucks fail before because the were shagged.. So don't know.. Id like to get some if I can..

Luck of the draw I guess, they were non existent on the Black Collie and I never replaced them with no adverse effects, the silver Collie they are like new.
Will look tomorrow at the ones on the spares trucks Higgy and get a photo of the wheels for you.

Luck of the draw I guess, they were non existent on the Black Collie and I never replaced them with no adverse effects, the silver Collie they are like new.
Will look tomorrow at the ones on the spares trucks Higgy and get a photo of the wheels for you.
Cheers Andy.. Its not a big job to make some up.. The fronts have a vented mouth at the front.. But surely a plate with some kind of lip on it would suffice. No MOT test centre would know the difference if they were Toyota or not.... Anyway that's a worse case scenario

The plates on the front of the 60 were the same higgy and i darent look at the back yet!
Btw, did you get that wheel off? Sorry if i missed it

The plates on the front of the 60 were the same higgy and i darent look at the back yet!
Btw, did you get that wheel off? Sorry if i missed it
No The wheel is still stubbornly on.. Iv got plenty to do so im just ignoring it for now... Anyway im running out of bottle jacks and axle stands so its doing a good job propping one corner up:thumbup:

No The wheel is still stubbornly on.. Iv got plenty to do so im just ignoring it for now... Anyway im running out of bottle jacks and axle stands so its doing a good job propping one corner up:thumbup:
It looks a right bugger that wheel nut. Hopefully you can weld a nut to it or something

i know what you mean about "just changing the discs" higgy.
good stuff. looks like your getting amongst it, as we say round here..

Mines got no front backing plates, makes absolutely no difference. "They stop sh1t getting behind the discs" but then they more often keep all crud behind the discs! Unless you get some mega cheap I wouldn't bother to be honest

the front backing plates are not too bad new cost wise.
the rears will give you a heart attack if your tickers a bit weak..

Back