Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High Gain/Power WiFi Receiver/Antenna

SteveS

So I'm thinking it would be a good thing to have a really sensitive WiFi antenna/amplifier so I can piggy-back on free wifi in hotels etc without sitting in the lobby - particularly useful in far flung places and to keep the roaming charges down. Does anyone have any experience/ideas about what units to use and their set-up.

Basic requirements are:
USB/Ethernet connection into laptop
Can be set-up as a Access Point/Bridge/Router so that other devices in the vehicle like my iPhone can also piggyback on free wifi
External antenna potentially
Plug n play
Standard IEEE standards etc
Omni-directional aerial - don't really want to be pointing a dish around the place - bit obvious

Any one got thoughts on this type of set-up and can recommend a configuration???

Thx

Looking at your spec list, your requirements seem to conflict with each other. Of the top of my head, I can't think of any consumer oriented kit that is going to do what you want without needing a bit of work - so plug and play goes out of the window. Also, most high gain external aerials are directional, so that you can make the most of their capabilities.

I'd be looking for a router with external aerials and either built in repeater capability or the ability to run dd-wrt firmware. Ideally dual band, so you can backhaul on 2.4Ghz and have your local network on 5Ghz (assuming your kit supports it) rather than expecting one freq. to do both.

Also expect it not to work half the time - the last consumer range extender I tried (from a reputable brand) was flummoxed by a 15yo double glazed patio door, located 25ft away.

I saw elsewhere that somebody was using an Ubiquiti Nanostation 2 - the article below gives some explanation in a domestic environment - I need 12v power input of course and possibly a different antenna set up - but is this the type of equipment to look out for?

Doodle - good thought on the local Wi-Fi network being a 5GHz set-up - I had originally thought wired to router rather than wireless for the local connections - but local wireless will be much easier to use around camp and device connectivity generally. The iPhones would have struggled :)

http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/how-extend-wifi-coverage-using-ubiquiti-nanostation

In that setup they're connecting to the router/modem over Ethernet, thereby eliminating the most variable bit of your needs - picking up their WLAN.

Also worth checking the local regulations to see what their limits on broadcast power are.

At the Overland Show last year there was a young couple in a motorhome selling systems such as this, I kept the leaflet for ages but finally threw it out after Christmas, will see if there is a list of traders online somewhere.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I eventually got round to talking with the guys @ motorhomewifi and bought one of their Omni-directional active antennas, a mounting pole and the internal 12v router. Probably could have shopped around to save a few quid on the individual parts but decided to go for the 'bundle'. Delivery expected in the next few days. Very helpful outfit.

Unfortunately external antenna only available in motorhome white......think I'll spray it black once the warranty is up

Back