Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High lift jack - sorry this a really basic question

Citizen Brown

Country Flag
england
My 80 came with no jack (and no spare for that matter). Any recommendations for make and/ or supplier of a decent high lift jack?

Thanks in advance

I'd only buy High Lift. Matt Savage used to sell them at decent prices. But they're all pretty much of a muchness. BUT in many cases a HL is utterly useless on a std car. Better with a bottle jack (Get one from Karl whilst you are there) If you have sliders and winch bumpers etc then fine. But they're not much good otherwise. You also have to carry the damn thing and they are a real pain.

I'd recommend having both HL & bottle.

The HL is a pain to use, and decent dedicated HL jacking points are essential, lots of damage and real danger without.

There are circumstances when a HL is almost your only means of rescue, I consider it essential recovery kit for offroad.

Be Warned! They are dangerous beasts at the best of times, get yourself a good baseplate and jack point adapters or make your own, but don't use it without. Mind your fingers, thumbs, chin, arms, legs and face! All are at risk when using it! Practice with it in your driveway first!

just my personal advice, of course. :icon-biggrin:

Seconded - witnessed an inexperienced user get a broken nose from the handling ratcheting unexpectedly - not pretty. I tend to use a 2 tonne hydraulic jack for general use, high light for recover work only.

I sold my HiLift after seeing a demonstration at an Overland show where they held a melon on a stick between the handle and jack body and then let the handle ratchet which completely pulped the melon,:icon-surprised: now if that had been someones head :think: it doesn't bear thinking about.

But I don't think this was a question about recovery guys. It was a question about not having a jack in the car CB had just acquired. If the car was already off road prepared it would have been a different answer - sliders, winch bumpers etc. I didn't want CB to rush out buy a HL get a flat and then ask 'Where the hell do I jack up?' Get a bottle jack from Karl - as he is there today and a spare wheel as well, then you can look at toys and tools.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris - sorry - yes - fair point (though I still prefer hydraulic over bottle, personal choice).

On my very first trip out in Great White I had a full blow out of one of my new tyres at 60 mph. It nearly threw me into the barrier. Can't really believe I still held it. Genuinely I thought I had lost a wheel. I stopped in one of those big Vee drains on a dual carriageway. Whipped out the high lift and ...... There was no room to work the damn handle! So close to the barrier that I couldn't get a single click on it. Out with the OEM jack.

So I carry both too. Generally the HL doesn't get used for tyre changing. It's for 'other' jobs.

Yep agree with whats been said, they are b**tard things to use. Would go for a bottle jack every time to change wheel and use the HLJ for "other" duties. Had to use mine to change a wheel as I'd left my bottle jack out after checking it worked. not clever on a fully loaded vehicle. Oh and CJ is right, you've got to carry darn thing somewhere too.

They could not be a more awkward shape or size really. I have tried stripping them down putting them together back to front, but they simply the moat awkward shaped thing ever invented. That being said, I am very pleased with my new rear carrier mount for mine. It's not in the way, I can get to it and it may even serve another purpose in due course. They are also incredibly heavy.

Love my Hi-Lift :icon-biggrin:

You can use it for lifting

P6110036.jpg

P6110037.jpg

Pulling

P5160034.jpg

P5160037.jpg

P5160036.jpg

Lifting

P5100003.jpg

P5100001.jpg

Winching

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

You want go wrong with the standard Toyota jack either

P1010396.jpg

P1010397.jpg

P1010398.jpg

P1010399.jpg

P1010400.jpg

P1010401.jpg

But don't buy one of these :eusa-naughty:

P4230050.jpg

P4230049.jpg

P4230048.jpg

Cause they do this!!!!

P5010007.jpg

P5010009.jpg

I think my ears are still damaged from when that went bang!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How did the air jack fail, did a seam give way or was it punctured? because it doesn't look as though you had anything protecting it above or below. I have one of these jacks (never actually needed to be used yet) and I carry two squares of old carpet to go under and over.

Last edited:
Mine did the same. What a bang!. It was Draper too. A fraction of the cost of a professional one. Wonder why.

No one is doubting the usefulness of the HL type jack. But I'll say it again - that wasn't the point of this thread. They are as much use as tits on a bull if you have no jacking point and you want to change a tyre in Tesco car park on a Saturday lunchtime. Not on a stock 80 series.

The standard jack works on a standard car. Now how is that possible? Oh that's right. Because it does. Stick it under the axle and you'll be off the ground in no time. All you'll need is a spare wheel and tyre :icon-rolleyes:

The standard jack for a standard LC works fine, and as Chris says, up it goes in no time, BUT, I have always had concerns over the small contact area at the top, located in the correctly shown picture on the jack under the axle. You could weld a piece of curved flat bar (sounds like a contradiction) across the top of a short piece of pipe to drop over top of standard jack to help position, or you could, - dare I say it on here, get a standard disco jack, it has `wings on top` to emulate the round of the axle. to stop sliding off.
Probably the one decent thing LR made !!

John

And I hate bottle jacks, especially the long travel ones like the yota one, they are just as unstable as a high lift because of the small surface and 'pin point' top.

A decent trolley jack is a wonderful investment, even if they cost a few quid origionally. So much easier to use and so much safer.

Yogi - you're worrying me - we're agreeing on too many subjects!!!

John I have made exactly that. I have made a few actually. Piece of pipe, say 2" long welded to a piece of channel. Yep, makes everything much safer. Came about when I bought a Sorento. Had several flats as the tyres were made out of paper. The jack had nowhere at all to sit and one time the car simply slid off. So I made a cup thing. Worked well.

Chris, - "cup thing", that was the description I was looking for. good idea with the channel. The good thing about this type of mod is it`s removable so allowing jack to be stowed in proper place.

Yogi, I`m with you on trolley jacks every time, but not so easy to transport or stow 24/7.

John

Wow- i didn't expect my simple question to generate such an interesting debate. Thanks all for input, especially SAE 70's photo gallery.

I have a decent bottle jack so i will just add a Hilift - just for smashing melons or is it Smashing Pumpkins (see what i did there!)

Supprised you didn't mention this yesterday Jed. Nice to meet you by the way.

I have bottle jacks/high lift/trolley etc etc but by far for changing a tyre when on (roads) is the standard Toyota jack. It has its own little cubby place that tucks away nicely and as Chris says it does the job just fine :icon-biggrin:

Back