Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Highland bash

Neil Stone

Just wondering if club members would be interested in having a Highland bash.
A few of us have been having this discussion ( http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/45228-Highland-Cruisers ) and I'd like to know if there is any interest.
Suggestions so far are Applecross (West Highlands) and Durness (Far North West Highlands).
I live in Durness and I'm fairly confident I could arrange for us to get access to Eriboll Estates' 4x4 test track. Created for the Discovery 3 test program.
Fantastic beaches, campsite, mountains plenty of places to wild camp and loads of potential for off road. Plus I'd be happy to sort out some of the arrangements.
Applecross is gorgeous too, but not an area I know very well.

If the majority are coming from the south it could be a good tour and you could do both.

So the questions are:
1, Would you be interested in a Highland Fling?
2, Fixed base or tour?
3, Any thoughts, comments, suggestions you care to add?

Cheers guys
Neil

Choices, choices.

Yes, I'm intrested. Either venue is fine - Applecross would be more 'tame' I guess (but stunning scenery anyway) so I'd go with the other option. I think either a tour or fixed base would be fun - Lincomb is always a fixed base, so maybe this should be a 'tour'?

Either way, it swould be nice to do one up here for once :icon-biggrin::pray:

I could be interested in a Highland Fling if there was something to do if you don't want to go mud plugging e.g. nice spot to camp / talk rubbish / watch others trashing their cruisers :p Driving tracks on an estate in nice surroundings would be fine, don't think I'd want to go all that way just to camp on a P&P site though.

When I can get my other 80 (the off-roading one) back on the road I would be interested, is there any date envisaged for this do? either venue would be OK.

I might be up for this depending on the date. :icon-biggrin:

I would be keen depending on dates and family plans. I would be up for more of a tour, overlanding type adventure rather than hard core 4x4 laning but then i can always meet you at theother end so im relaxed and will go with the majority vote.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would be up for more of a tour, overlanding type adventure rather than hard core 4x4 laning.
:thumbup:That sort of trip would be more to my liking too.

I am interested - date dependent - in a tour type trip and driving tracks on an estate in nice scenery etc. Not keen on travelling all that way for a p&p bash.

Sounds interesting do you have a time of year in mind for the tour.
Martin

I am interested - date dependent - in a tour type trip and driving tracks on an estate in nice scenery etc. Not keen on travelling all that way for a p&p bash.

Sounds interesting do you have a time of year in mind for the tour.
Martin

I'd suggest the best time of year is either May or September (in theory pre or post midgey !!! ).
Why not a tour with several stop off points with 'local' guys sorting out some highlights for target spots.

I could certainly sort out something up here. Beach BBQ's, challenging off road sections, check out www.durness.org for a guide to the area.

Anyone else volunteer some suggestions.

Sounds like a great plan. I am sure there are trails near eriboll, the highland 4x4 club use, maybe same tracks
there are nice estate tracks too. However you would need landowners permission.
And the scottish greenlane club (which is landrovers only) - AndrewT asked about toyotas joining and they said no.
Not so keen on road tour as much since i have driven these road many times. And would rather take our turbo subaru for that type of thing
Defintely out of midge season as they can make camping hell and most rooftents dont have mesh fine enough to stop them.

Sounds like a great plan. I am sure there are trails near eriboll, the highland 4x4 club use, maybe same tracks
there are nice estate tracks too. However you would need landowners permission.
And the scottish greenlane club (which is landrovers only) - AndrewT asked about toyotas joining and they said no.
Not so keen on road tour as much since i have driven these road many times. And would rather take our turbo subaru for that type of thing
Defintely out of midge season as they can make camping hell and most rooftents dont have mesh fine enough to stop them.
Yeah just as you say, the Highland 4x4 club do use Eriboll estate and there are some really nice tracks running from hope through to Kinbrace/Merkland on the Lairg road. But I think doing something in partnership with the Highland 4x4 club would bring in some useful contacts and knowledge of a wider area.

So what other Scottish base 'local heroes' are willing to organise something for their area.?????

Back