Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

spewkybruiser

Country Flag
australia
Hi all, new to the land cruiser club, old to to the land cruiser gang.

I have had my 1984 HJ47 troop carrier for just over 10 years now. For the past 9 years I've serviced myself, and 5 years ago had the engine reconditioned. Just this year I've started taking my old boy to a mechanic as I have little training in this area and have, for the most part, winged it all the way.
My current issue is really puzzling me, and no mechanic or auto electrician I have spoken to can seem to figure out what's going on. These are my two main issues:

1) no click from starter solenoid, no gauges on dash work, everything is unresponsive when I turn key from off to acc and on. means when I crank, the car won't stay on (this happens half the time, other half of the time everything works fine, filter light comes on as well as other other gauges on dash working, and car cranks and starts and drives)

2) car shuts off completely (whilst driving!) if/when I use either indicator, hazards, or put my car in reverse.... what the..??

The car shutting off when going into reverse started happening a few months ago. The car shutting off when using indicators started happening a couple of weeks ago (I had just had new glow plugs installed along with a new battery). The car not engaging when I turn the key started happening a couple of days ago.

Are these all connected? Is it my starter solenoid? The ignition switch? Clutch pedal switch? But what would be causing the car to stall in reverse?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Casper

It sounds to me (completely inept with electrics) like your ignition switch as every circuit you mention goes through that switch for its feed although I don't understand the stalling in reverse bit, unless the fault is killing it.
The ignition switch IMO is the most logical place to start the search.

Regards,

+1 on the ignition switch.
or else a bad connection coming from that switch.
also check the fusible link on the battery terminal.
look if there isn't a loose wire touching the body or frame now and then.

I'm curious to know if you ever got this sorted, and what the solution turned out to be. My first guess would be a bad ground/short that is dropping the voltage so much that the EDIC motor shuts the fuel off, or possibly a bad column ignition switch. I am currently sorting out electrical issues with my HJ 47.

I'm curious to know if you ever got this sorted, and what the solution turned out to be. My first guess would be a bad ground/short that is dropping the voltage so much that the EDIC motor shuts the fuel off, or possibly a bad column ignition switch. I am currently sorting out electrical issues with my HJ 47.
I had this with my 60, the edic kept shutting off, subsequently found out it was due to the wiring on the voltage reg melting.

214FE3AF-2C59-4725-B0CB-925BF96E44AD.jpeg C5208BBC-1A64-4F63-9622-47D7CB2556B2.jpeg

Also if your EDIC circuit is working correctly... then if your oil pressure sender has become faulty then the EDIC circuit will detect low oil pressure and shut down the engine as it was designed to do. Just a thought!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It sounds to me (completely inept with electrics) like your ignition switch as every circuit you mention goes through that switch for its feed although I don't understand the stalling in reverse bit, unless the fault is killing it.
The ignition switch IMO is the most logical place to start the search.

Regards,
Hello I have a Fj 70 and for some reason my truck just started turning off when I switched my lights on then got worse no dash lights but my dome light works and lights come on, radio but the minute I turn the key to start everything goes dead it has a new battery was running fine, any ideas and how would I check the ignition switch out is there a way of testing it thanks
Mike

Hi all, new to the land cruiser club, old to to the land cruiser gang.

I have had my 1984 HJ47 troop carrier for just over 10 years now. For the past 9 years I've serviced myself, and 5 years ago had the engine reconditioned. Just this year I've started taking my old boy to a mechanic as I have little training in this area and have, for the most part, winged it all the way.
My current issue is really puzzling me, and no mechanic or auto electrician I have spoken to can seem to figure out what's going on. These are my two main issues:

1) no click from starter solenoid, no gauges on dash work, everything is unresponsive when I turn key from off to acc and on. means when I crank, the car won't stay on (this happens half the time, other half of the time everything works fine, filter light comes on as well as other other gauges on dash working, and car cranks and starts and drives)

2) car shuts off completely (whilst driving!) if/when I use either indicator, hazards, or put my car in reverse.... what the..??

The car shutting off when going into reverse started happening a few months ago. The car shutting off when using indicators started happening a couple of weeks ago (I had just had new glow plugs installed along with a new battery). The car not engaging when I turn the key started happening a couple of days ago.

Are these all connected? Is it my starter solenoid? The ignition switch? Clutch pedal switch? But what would be causing the car to stall in reverse?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Casper
Hi did you ever find out what the problem was, my fj70 doing the same thing you described hopefully you got working thanks

Mike

Back