Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ60 4.0 diesel into my BJ40 ?

katsarata

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

Can someone with superior knowledge than I please give some advise on swapping a 4.0 HJ + 5 speed into my BJ41.

Are the mounts the same.
Will I have to modify the transmission tunnel ?
ETC
ETC
Any and all advise appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Cant help you with the conversion Bob but it cant be hard as many have done it. You loose the transmission hand brake though and have to rig something up or change the rear axle to cable handbrake.
Roger on here will have far more knowledge than most on the subject.

Hi Bob,

I have a 2H and 5 speed in my BJ40, although I personally didn't do the conversion, however I should be able to help...

Firstly it will fit but as Andy says the handbrake has to change. I have 60 series axles in mine - they are 70mm wider but you get discs on the front and a handbrake on the rear wheels. I am more than happy to photograph any parts or areas that will make the job easier for you.

I think that the transmission tunnel is slightly modified - just at the rear - it's hard to tell as mine tunnel is fibreglass but both sticks appear to be in the same position. The gearbox mounting also looks the same and the supporting cross member is in its original position.

I have 60 series power steering with modified track rods. My engine mounts are 60 series but sit, as far as I can see, on the original mounts.

The biggest problems you face - IMO - is that a 41 is 12 volt and the starter on the 2H is 24v and it's a big old diesel to turn over. [ or is it the 42 that's 12 volt? ... Memory fade!!] When it's in the engine bay there's not a lot of room left particularly if you need to upgrade to 24 v and therefore 2 batteries. I think, but I'm 100% sure that there maybe a reduction starter available but there may also be alternatives in Oz as nearly all Mr T's products were 12 volt there. Chris at F'n'B (supporter on here) may well be able to advise. But just for minute assume that the 41 is 24volt you would still have the problem of where to accommodate the batteries... logically they could stay in their original positions but you'd have to modify the air cleaner mounting/position or go for a K&N set up, which may make the 2H breath better but I don't think you'd be able to use the 60 series power steering set up so may have to consider modifying the existing steering- maybe electric assist from a Corolla. One bit you will loose is the fan shroud or at best it will be extensively modded - I don't have one but use the 40 series rad and it keeps the engine cool enough.

Glad to help so if you want photos, etc, just ask.

Regards,

Hi Bob and welcom I have fj45 and fj40 with hj60 running gear in them I am in Wrexham if you would like to come and have a look at me 40s if it help you from Tony good look with it.

If you do go the 24volt route, I have access to a 24volt instrument cluster that someone I know has spare.

Hi Bob,

I have a 2H and 5 speed in my BJ40, although I personally didn't do the conversion, however I should be able to help...

Firstly it will fit but as Andy says the handbrake has to change. I have 60 series axles in mine - they are 70mm wider but you get discs on the front and a handbrake on the rear wheels. I am more than happy to photograph any parts or areas that will make the job easier for you.

I think that the transmission tunnel is slightly modified - just at the rear - it's hard to tell as mine tunnel is fibreglass but both sticks appear to be in the same position. The gearbox mounting also looks the same and the supporting cross member is in its original position.

I have 60 series power steering with modified track rods. My engine mounts are 60 series but sit, as far as I can see, on the original mounts.

The biggest problems you face - IMO - is that a 41 is 12 volt and the starter on the 2H is 24v and it's a big old diesel to turn over. [ or is it the 42 that's 12 volt? ... Memory fade!!] When it's in the engine bay there's not a lot of room left particularly if you need to upgrade to 24 v and therefore 2 batteries. I think, but I'm 100% sure that there maybe a reduction starter available but there may also be alternatives in Oz as nearly all Mr T's products were 12 volt there. Chris at F'n'B (supporter on here) may well be able to advise. But just for minute assume that the 41 is 24volt you would still have the problem of where to accommodate the batteries... logically they could stay in their original positions but you'd have to modify the air cleaner mounting/position or go for a K&N set up, which may make the 2H breath better but I don't think you'd be able to use the 60 series power steering set up so may have to consider modifying the existing steering- maybe electric assist from a Corolla. One bit you will loose is the fan shroud or at best it will be extensively modded - I don't have one but use the 40 series rad and it keeps the engine cool enough.

Glad to help so if you want photos, etc, just ask.

Regards,

Hi Rodger
Thanks for the post
The 41 is 24v and I have discs and power steering already. Are the benefits over the b engine worth the strife ? or am I changing something for the sake of it.
Will I have to mod engine mounts and props?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cant help you with the conversion Bob but it cant be hard as many have done it. You loose the transmission hand brake though and have to rig something up or change the rear axle to cable handbrake.
Roger on here will have far more knowledge than most on the subject.

Hi Andy

Sounds like it might be a goer.
Already have a rear axle hand brake.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Is it worth the strife????

Over the years I've driven 40s with the standard B series engines but I really enjoy the extra grunt the 6 pot 2H gives. It's not as torquey as a 2F but I get 30mpg rather than 15-17. The engine rarely has to work hard and when 4-wheeling the downhills are amazing - feet off everything on tickover.
For me - no contest.

One thing worth noting... some of the ancillary 2H bits changed around '85 and some of the early bits are getting harder to find. Get the vin number of the 60 - it will help when tracking bits.

I think my rear prop may have been shortened but if it was it was done very professionally (and balanced).

I still like any 40 series but I am not a purist but then again how many 40s are as they left the factory? I like the look of a well filled engine bay.

We are visiting the UK from mid July for a month and if it helps we could meet and you can crawl over/under/in and out of the truck but, obviously, I have no idea what part you are in.

Regards,

Hi Bob,

Is it worth the strife????

Over the years I've driven 40s with the standard B series engines but I really enjoy the extra grunt the 6 pot 2H gives. It's not as torquey as a 2F but I get 30mpg rather than 15-17. The engine rarely has to work hard and when 4-wheeling the downhills are amazing - feet off everything on tickover.
For me - no contest.

One thing worth noting... some of the ancillary 2H bits changed around '85 and some of the early bits are getting harder to find. Get the vin number of the 60 - it will help when tracking bits.

I think my rear prop may have been shortened but if it was it was done very professionally (and balanced).

I still like any 40 series but I am not a purist but then again how many 40s are as they left the factory? I like the look of a well filled engine bay.

We are visiting the UK from mid July for a month and if it helps we could meet and you can crawl over/under/in and out of the truck but, obviously, I have no idea what part you are in.

Regards,

Thats done it
Going for the HJ donor, car is an 88 with 120.000 miles are there any other parts I should consider swapping bearing in mind I have discs and PS already . If you need any bits of it let me know.
Unfortunately not here in July will be at my house in Greece www.villalithia.co.uk but if you make another trip I am in Hampshire.

As you are away in July, I can take any photos that may help. If you are back in August I will be in Burham on Sea on August 15th, of it helps, we could meet mid point.
One very useful piece I have is the rev counter from the 60. I mounted mine under the dash because I didn't want to cut my dash but it is driven from the flywheel. I removed the original exhaust header and replaced it with 6-pipe header set. It makes the engine breath a lot better but if you are going for a turbo then it's not relevant.
I've been thinking and reading a bit about supercharging as an option purely because it gives more power low down but I am still a long way from doing anything about it.
Any bits that I may need, you are going to be using, other than the steering box, although mine is LHD and I can't get my head round whether that makes any difference. Mine has leaked for ages so it's either another one or a rebuild kit.
Your '88 is low mileage - always a bonus!!

Regards,

As you are away in July, I can take any photos that may help. If you are back in August I will be in Burham on Sea on August 15th, of it helps, we could meet mid point.
One very useful piece I have is the rev counter from the 60. I mounted mine under the dash because I didn't want to cut my dash but it is driven from the flywheel. I removed the original exhaust header and replaced it with 6-pipe header set. It makes the engine breath a lot better but if you are going for a turbo then it's not relevant.
I've been thinking and reading a bit about supercharging as an option purely because it gives more power low down but I am still a long way from doing anything about it.
Any bits that I may need, you are going to be using, other than the steering box, although mine is LHD and I can't get my head round whether that makes any difference. Mine has leaked for ages so it's either another one or a rebuild kit.
Your '88 is low mileage - always a bonus!!

Regards,
Hi Rodger

Got a mate in Bude will see if I can combine with a trip to see him. Any photos you have would be a bonus.

Many thanks
Bob

Bude sounds good. I'll pm my uk mobile number to you.

And I'll get some photos done, obviously so that you have something to view when enjoying the sun in Greece!

Cheers

Bude sounds good. I'll pm my uk mobile number to you.

And I'll get some photos done, obviously so that you have something to view when enjoying the sun in Greece!

Cheers

Thanks Rodger
Where are you then ?

We live in the mountains in southern Spain, in Ugijar. It is situated at the eastern end of the Alparras valley.
Ugijar was a city under the Moors but lost that status when they were ejected in 1492. However in 1993 King Juan Carlos visited the town and reinstated it as a city. It is believed to be the smallest city in Spain.

Your villa looks fabulous in a great setting and with superb views. I see where you get your forum name from.

We live in the mountains in southern Spain, in Ugijar. It is situated at the eastern end of the Alparras valley.
Ugijar was a city under the Moors but lost that status when they were ejected in 1492. However in 1993 King Juan Carlos visited the town and reinstated it as a city. It is believed to be the smallest city in Spain.

Your villa looks fabulous in a great setting and with superb views. I see where you get your forum name from.

We built it in 1999 and lived there full time for a while, planning on driving the 40 there in 2017 hence a more modern power plant with a bit more oomph for the toll roads.

Hi Bob,
I took some photos today which are below. But first I noticed a couple of things that may help:
The gearbox mount cross member is the original and has not been moved or adjusted. So I think they used that as the point from which they adjusted as necessary. The engine mounts have been moved very slightly and are beefed up. I am seeing the chap who did all they work in July so can ask the relevant questions and also any you might have.
20160610_142127.jpg

Not a great deal of room to spare -front to back
20160610_142138.jpg
Maybe you'll have to mount both batteries on one side.
20160610_142153.jpg

otherwise you may struggle with the air filter but mine has the intake to the rear to the snorkel. I measured whether the air filter could go on the other side - not with out a longer feed hose and the mounts being moved, but it may work out ok on a RHD.
20160610_142219.jpg

60 series engine mount
20160610_142245a.jpg

But not stock underneath. The shiny tube at the bottom of the photo is welded to both chassis rails but bear in mind this was a race truck so the extra stiffening may have been more to do with that.
20160610_142333.jpg

RH engine mount, with a similar mod.
20160610_142446.jpg
T/box sits, as it should, above the shield.
20160610_142632.jpg
I have the lower plate but have not worked out a way of fitting it yet but that more down to the suspension mods however I also have a shroud but to fit it major surgery would be required. This is a 40 series radiator and I do not get cooling problems although we did on our trip down here but flushing, cleaning between the fins and a new viscous unit appear to have solved them.
20160610_142649.jpg

Gives you an idea of the gap between the fan and rad and the power steering res attaches to the rad mount.
20160610_143423.jpg

The hoses are 60 series but with a bit of cut and shut applied.

I hope that these photos (forgive the quality - done from phone but if necessary I can get the proper camera out) help and if you want more detail, better quality or there's something I've not covered... just ask.

Regards,

Back