Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HJ60 Oil eating and leaking..

Hi Tom,

'RG-KO' could that be RG-KQ - if so it was designated for Oz and is 12 volt.

It was built in June 1982, 2H with a 4 speed manual. The other numbers specify interior, colour, etc..

The 10.5 glow plugs are correct but to double check your light bulbs should be 12 volt - take the cover off the interior light and check the info printed on the bulb.

Regards,

Rodger

Yes it could be RG - KQ

Interesting as it is now a 5 speed Manual. Is it possible it could have started as 5 speed?

I will check the bulbs.
Thanks

The original g/box was an H41 - 4speed. The 5 speed - H55F - was not introduced until '83 so quite possible that it has been updated somewhere along the line.

Regards,
Rodger

Hi all,

Little update. I had a great time getting her stuck in North Wales over New Year...

There were many reason for getting stuck, the worst of which was definitely my driving - but I did think I would be a lot better off if I could lock the differentials. Has anyone had any experience trying to convert to lockable diffs?

I finally got to a great mechanics who noticed the Oil Sump (or Oil Pan) was wrotten which is causing much of my leak.

Does anyone know where to get a hold of a replacement? I found this https://cruiserworld.eu/parts/60-series/engines-engine-parts?prod_id=178727 But it is for Petrol not deisel and its expensive.

I am off next weekend back to Wales with http://www.4x4adventuretours.co.uk/uk-tours.html

Looking forward to getting stuck in the mud.. Have my own tow rope now... And some All Terrain tyres which will help.

Best,
Tom

Tom, there’s a 60 near me that's really a parts only vehicle. There could be a deal to be done if you wanted it and had the room.

Your oil being low to start with when you refilled it then high could be the return from the top end being restricted. 10.5 litres of oil in the top probably mostly stayed there then filtered its way down into the sump. I think you need to have the rocker cover off and check a few things as Rodger has suggested.

Oil too high can definitely be a problem, if it gets sucked into the air intake you can have a runaway.

Tom, there’s a 60 near me that's really a parts only vehicle. There could be a deal to be done if you wanted it and had the room.

Your oil being low to start with when you refilled it then high could be the return from the top end being restricted. 10.5 litres of oil in the top probably mostly stayed there then filtered its way down into the sump. I think you need to have the rocker cover off and check a few things as Rodger has suggested.

Oil too high can definitely be a problem, if it gets sucked into the air intake you can have a runaway.

There you go Tom.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Tom and welcome have fun with it I might have. A oil sump if you have not got one it's got a dent in it P M my if you r interested in it I have one or 2 bits for HJ60.

Hi all,

Fantastic weekend off-roading! Lots of things discovered about the truck. Finally got the compression done

Comparison limits are 300-400 psi
We measured
1. 310
2. 310
3. 300
4. 360
5. 340
6. 300

The chap who did the work said it was up to me to rebuild or not. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Fantastic weekend off-roading! Lots of things discovered about the truck. Finally got the compression done

Comparison limits are 300-400 psi
We measured
1. 310
2. 310
3. 300
4. 360
5. 340
6. 300

The chap who did the work said it was up to me to rebuild or not. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

If it goes well and sounds well I'd leave well alone. I've had a few 60's and only had to go into one engine. This may be interesting for you.
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/its-been-some-time.148762/

My sister said it was nice meeting you.

Back