Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hope this works......

I will believe its working when I stop coming across this behavior on my daily commute. People still keep using their mobile phones even though it is against the law since 2003. Today I almost had a head on collision with someone cycling the wrong way down a narrow one way street using a mobile phone without a helmet. And no this was not a local teenager but someone who clearly works in an office environment.

The mobile phone one fair enough, actually cyclist in general can be a menace!! Especially when they pay no road tax!

But whats wrong with no helmet????
That's personal choice is it not??

But whats wrong with no helmet????
That's personal choice is it not??
Yes, but who's insurance premium goes up when a cyclist claims for head injuries as a result of an accident? We all know the cyclist is never at fault...

Anyway, back on subject. This new law is great in theory but as the police are unable to enforce a similar law regarding the use of mobile phones behind the wheel 10 years after it was introduced I fail to see how it will make a difference.

Last edited:
Ok......
Use of a helmet when using a mobile phone may be advisory, BUT is not compulsory.

Should a cyclist contrive to cycle into your vehicle (or a pedestrian decide to step out in front of you and collide with your vehicle) is irrelevant to the amount of 'road tax' they pay as the tax is based on the CO2 emissions of the road user, each road user pays the relevant amount for their CO2 emissions. In Europe the motorised road user is assumed to be at fault in the event of an accident or collision, it is a 'default' position of the law unless proven otherwise. Maybe because the car user is 'remote and secure' within their 'armoured' vehicle where as the other road users are just soft and slightly malleable human beings with no crumple zones.
There seems to be a greater appreciation of the vulnerability of cyclists and pedestrians and ergo a much more understanding interaction between road users and a lot more respect all round.
Insurance goes up when some unscrupulous numbty claims for whiplash after a minor 'fender bender'.
My response may seem a bit over the top but I am a wee bit pissed:obscene-drinkingdr:
I am a pedestrian, a cyclist, a car driver, bus driver, a lorry driver and an emergency responder (blue light trained) and I fundamentally believe that the motorist has far too much power. cities are ruined, strangled by motor use.
as to the cyclist never being at fault......well accidents do happen http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-22397918 but rarely have I seen a manslaughter charge for the killing of a cyclist, infact i would say that by far, the motorist gets off relatively easy for the accidental killing of pedestrians or cyclists.

Back on topic.... tail gaters are my pet hate ! I received a 3 point penalty and £60 fine for averaging 58mph on an empty motorway, caught by a "SAFETY CAMERA", yet this safety camera is unable to capture unsafe driving such as tail gating or erratic driving behaviour. More traffic cops please.
Yes, but who's insurance premium goes up when a cyclist claims for head injuries as a result of an accident? We all know the cyclist is never at fault...

Anyway, back on subject. This new law is great in theory but as the police are unable to enforce a similar law regarding the use of mobile phones behind the wheel 10 years after it was introduced I fail to see how it will make a difference.

Last edited:
I can't say that I really understand why they are pushing up the seatbelt fine. Personally I can't see who is being put at risk from driving a car without wearing a seatbelt other than the driver?????

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's always been my argument too.

I'm one of these crazy people that believe in FREE WILL. If I want to take risks I will, if I don't I'll exercise my CHOICE not too.

Drives me mad that other people I do not know feel the need to tell me how I should live my life.

Rant over!!

That's always been my argument too.

I'm one of these crazy people that believe in FREE WILL. If I want to take risks I will, if I don't I'll exercise my CHOICE not too.

Drives me mad that other people I do not know feel the need to tell me how I should live my life.

Rant over!!

We're currently living the dream!:lol: The way things are going,it wont be long before we have to have the correct training/licence/whatever to be able to exercise any FREE WILL whatsoever,even down to deciding what to have for breakfast,and only after we've paid the relevent 'free will tax' to do so:(:icon-surprised::x

Last edited:
Cyclists should have helmets welded onto their heads. We all pay extra income tax because they don't.

Mobile phoning whilst driving still happens because the fines are not high enough. So fines should be increased by £25 per week until it stops.

Frank

Aye Frank and pedestrians should wear armour too....infact anyone who ventures outside are bloody liability to us all and only ever cost us money.

"The idea is to target offenders without the need for lengthy court procedures." nothing to do with raking in more cash then?

I can't say that I really understand why they are pushing up the seatbelt fine. Personally I can't see who is being put at risk from driving a car without wearing a seatbelt other than the driver?????

4 people in the car, one in the car didn't have a seatbelt on (only person without a seatbelt), relatively minor accident, rear passenger thrown into the back of the driver, both driver and rear passenger killed.

As driver you are responsible for yourself and any children in the vehicle (even if they're not your children). Anyone not classed as a child, not wearing a seatbelt, can receive an independent fine

3 people killed in Dianas' car with no belts on. The bodyguard had a belt on and survived even though he was in the passenger seat which took most of the impact.

Frank

Back