Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Horn [this isn't another horn pin post]

Ben Freeman

Country Flag
united_states
So I'm brand new to Cruisers - just got my first ['88 FJ62] last week.

The horn isn't working and I'm at a dead end as far as knowing what to do next. Here's what I've done so far:

• Haz/Horn fuse is good. Hazards are working fine, fuse isn't blown.

• I removed the steering wheel cover [see pic] and cleaned contacts under the two tabs on either side of the wheel.

• I checked that the wiring was connected/in good shape at both horns behind the front grill.

I've read a number of threads about replacing worn horn pins but - from what I can tell - mine doesn't use a pin but rather two metal "tabs" [not sure what the actual part is called] that make contact, completing the circuit, when the steering wheel is depressed.

I've also read a post or two about horn relays, but I'm unsure if my '88 FJ62 has one and where it's located.

Should I check that next? Am I way off in my diagnosis?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

IMG_7023.JPG IMG_7024.JPG

Hi Ben, you need to troubleshoot it properly. Do you get volts at the horn when you press the button on the steering? Can you disconnect the horn and run a wire from battery positive to the contact on the horn and make it work as a test just touch a wire from the terminal to the battery +. If you bridge out the contacts on the steering wheel with a piece of wire do you get a click from somewhere? Do you get 12 volts at the horn? If you don't have a multimeter invest in one. Not the cheapest one but you don't need to splash out too much. Then check for volts across the steering wheel horn contacts both on the wheel and on the connector behind. Remove and check across your fuses with the multimeter set to ohms. They should all be zero ohms.

Report your findings.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Hi Ben, you need to troubleshoot it properly. Do you get volts at the horn when you press the button on the steering? Can you disconnect the horn and run a wire from battery positive to the contact on the horn and make it work as a test just touch a wire from the terminal to the battery +. If you bridge out the contacts on the steering wheel with a piece of wire do you get a click from somewhere? Do you get 12 volts at the horn? If you don't have a multimeter invest in one. Not the cheapest one but you don't need to splash out too much. Then check for volts across the steering wheel horn contacts not in the wheel andvon the connector behind. Remove and check across your fuses with the multimeter set to ohms. They should all be zero ohms.

Report your findings.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice! I'll dig out my multimeter, give those things a try, and report back.

Ok, here's the update:

Turns out it was the horn pin [as I said, I'm new to this vehicle]. I was comparing my steering wheel to pictures of other [similar] but not identical 62's and looking in the wrong place for the pin.

Anyway, I ended up putting a blob of solder on the end of the pin, as a temporary fix, until I can get a new one ordered and now it's honking nice and loud!

Back