Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Housing for relay

fridayman

Garage
I am looking at IP65 boxes/cases/housings for my 200A cyrix relay and 300A shunt, but was wondering whether either might get hot and need a ventilated housing? Or if a dust/moisture sealed (IP65) housing is preferable?

I was wondering if the relay/shunt combo may interfere with my radio if they are mounted to the bulkhead (close to the radio)? These boxes might cut down interference.

Does that epoxy set hard? The relay looks like it has moving parts... I would like to use a rubber mounting for the box though, to reduce vibration in the relay (not sure if this is really a problem or not).

The epoxy sets hard, you pretty much write off ever seeing inside the box again. Be very sure it's what you want to do. It has its places.

There should not be any interference to the radio as it would be DC so no RFI. You might hear the occasional click as the relay toggles but that would be all.

No harm with the metal box though.

[I've move the thread to the electrical section]

Mine's inside. Looked at trying to seal it and have it outside and it all seemed too much trouble. Fits perfectly in the cavity in the wheel arch by the back door. Handy for wiring to as well. Wouldn't want to get those electronic bits wet. You also get a really satisfying 'chunk' when it clicks in. No need for a light on the dash. Plenty of air around it. Dry, protected and still visible though the grille.

Chris

If it comes to it, a good elec wholesaler will have IP65/67 small metal boxes that will act as heatsink too. You'll need to be careful at cable entry points though so ensure you get good cable glands to miantain IP rating. Chris's option is as good as any given it's location.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Mine's inside. Looked at trying to seal it and have it outside and it all seemed too much trouble. Fits perfectly in the cavity in the wheel arch by the back door. Handy for wiring to as well. Wouldn't want to get those electronic bits wet. You also get a really satisfying 'chunk' when it clicks in. No need for a light on the dash. Plenty of air around it. Dry, protected and still visible though the grille.

Chris

Sounds like an ideal solution. Do you have a pic of this? I'm trying to imagine how this would work (the wiring) if I am housing my leisure battery in the engine bay..?

Ahh, well if the battery is on the front then no point going to the back with the relay.

Most put the LB in the back so that makes sense from the relay point of view. Ultimately I shall slave the rear winch off the LB too which is why I ran it with 50mm cable through a 400 amp relay.

IMGP4169.jpg

Chris

Back