Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How hard can it be to fab one of these up

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Really like the look of these wheel mount braai stands from front runner

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/be/front-runner-spare-tire-mount-braai-bbq-grate.html

but the price is eye watering for what it is. I accept that it is adjustable, and has a stainless steel cooking grate, but if you just wanted one to put over a fire and hold your cast iron frying pan or dutch oven surely you could weld up a basic frame out of steel for a lot less??

Just wondered if anyone has made something similar? (read has a design I can 'borrow' to take to a fabricator)

Laser cut well made fit and finish with functionality is what you pay for. Probably made something similar and yet always comes down to what you made vs cost in doing so. A lot of the time there's not much in it to worthy the price difference unless you enjoy the process of making something or simple not accessible where you are in the world.

Just my 5 cents lol Nick

yeah I get the quality of the finish and all that and its a totally fair point. I think what you are paying for is a system that can fit any wheel - which a custom faded design wouldn't need, and the stainless steel cooking grates that you can cook directly on - which probably won't be so useful after its had the exhaust from my non-turbo truck at altitude blowing all sorts of weird and wonderful hydro-carbons onto it, not to mention the dust, dirt and shit from the roads, plus the burnt on crap from the last bbq.

I figured it wouldn't be much more than £20 of 10mm steel, bent to size and welded in a spider web type design, but then i'm not a fabricator so maybe it isn't that easy.

ok just did a bit of googling and it seems steel bar is more expensive than I had thought. £20 per meter. You'd need at least 3m prob more to fit BF AT's so that's £60-£80 before the fabricating starts.

Looks like it isn't such a bad price.

maybe i'll delete the thread...

Its has a lot of value this thread Nick because its always a case of make or buy debate. I being in Cyprus tend to make things more or even repair as parts / costs are higher without the ease of buying quickly or easily.

Last year I looked into making a roof rack as front runner buying and importing was well over £1000. Making one would cost half that and not the same fit and finish so just bought rails in the end. What did work out was making my rear draws much cheaper then buying new. Horses for course always tbh.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Generally I find making us more expensive than buying unless there’s numbers involved. As you say you’d struggle to have that made for the money. It’s been on here before and I think one or two members have them but for me as you say, once it’s been on the back and seen all the road grime etc plus the look of it after it’s had a fire under it and a load of burned on grease on top puts me off a tad.
The OzPig (around twice the price) seems a much more versatile well thought out piece of kit. Takes up a bit of room though.

if you make it yourself it can work out cheaper. paying someone else, rarely..
a lot of time goes into making a quality well designed product. the initial idea, the prototype, the failures..
at least your paying for a physical product you can get enjoyment out of.
£90 for a solicitors letter on the other hand..

I like to make my own things but i bought the front runner fold down table, wasn't cheap but the quality of it was worth it.
I made the frame to mount it to the spare wheel carrier though.

The project I am working on is in the hundreds of thousands a month for legal at the moment. I am shocked what the costs are

I have one. I do use it. It's not worth the money by any stretch. It's a very special kind of stainless steel. The type that rusts. It also has very special properties that allow food to stick to it like s*** sticks to an army blanket.
£40 item at the most.

Back