Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How To Fix Rear Door Clunk

fridayman

Garage
I recently noticed that a clunk coming from the back was becoming louder and more frequent. Turns out it is the rear door hinges (as I think others on the site have also found). Rather than replace the door hinges, I was going to drill out the hinges and fit slightly thicker hinge pins to cure this, but thought I would try something a lot simpler first.

With the rear door open, loosen the three bolts that hold the bottom hinge onto the body. Getting in there with a ratchet is difficult as you can see here:

IMG_0052.jpg

But using an extension solved the problem:

IMG_0055.jpg

Don't take the bolts right out. Just undo them until there is about 5-10mm of gap between the hinge and body.

IMG_0053.jpg

The top hinge is enough to make sure the door isn't going anywhere. While the door is open it may rest against the body with the hinges loose, but this isn't a problem. Then take one bolt right out and slide a washer (I used two washers that are about 1mm thick each, per bolt) in behind the hinge and replace the bolt. Do this for all 3 bolts. Then you will need someone to help. I had my wife nip up each bolt while I held the end of the door up. Finally I tightend each bolt another half turn, and job done. The door closes without catching at the bottom any more, and the clunk is completely gone.

Thanks for this, I need to do the same on LB. I've ignored it for far to long now :roll:

Thanks for posting. Pretty simply fix. My door closes with quite a clunk so I will try this at some point.

Back