Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to grease the slipping prop shaft joint?

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
I'd like to check the slipping joints on my prop shafts are both correctly lubricated & just wondered if there was a best method before I squirt to much or not enough grease into the nipple :) I have read in the past that it is strongly advised not to put to much in as it will limit the travel thus causing damage :!: So how does one know when enough is enough :?: Number of pumps :?: Grease oooozzing out :?:

Little and often is best.

Where you have just been exercising the joints judging by the pics, you should see evidence of grease on the exposed part of the joint. If it is dry/rusty might be worth dropping the end of the shaft off and clean it it up and regrease, just remember to fit back on with the same timing/alignment.

I have undone one of the flanges, removed the grease nipple and then compressed the slip-joint.

Loads of old, black grease expelled from the grease nipple hole :thumbup:

Then re-attach the prop shaft (which extends the joint), insert the grease nipple and give it a couple of shots occasionally.

If the slip joint is packed tight you can get a 'knock' as the suspension moves.

Bob.

I did the same as Bob. I went for a spin over rough ground without the nipple in. That shifted it!
The only real way to be sure of this is to get the old grease out so you have a reference point. Whilst I did do it this way, I later had to take the slip joint apart. I cleaned it fully and put it back together. The splines really only need a smear on them. Easy to do before you slide it back in. Then top up with a couple of pumps.

Chris

Grease that is oozing out of something isn't contributing.
So little and often is my creed as well.

Good quality grease goes a long way as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back