Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hunting and outdoors

Someone call me?

Love the whole hunting, shooting and fishing thing. Coupled with some camping and woodcraft, perfect. Nice to do it in SA I'd imagine. I'd like to go somewhere where you don't get some bobble-hat pop up every 5 mins saying 'Ooh you can't do that..'

Why is that whats on offer

Nothing on offer, just curious to see if there are enough people versed in the topic to have some meaninglessly interesting useful small talk......... I spend months in the bush every year, if I did not like it I wouldn't do it!

On top of that, a good rifle lasts far longer than a good car, especially in the bush!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Always interested in chatter. Problem is on an open forum, it's not to everyone's taste or way of thinking.

If you are interested please do read and feel free to comment. If this sort of thing offends you then don't read the thread and keep you opinions to yourself!

In relation to shooting, most of mine is deer stalking though I do shoot clays and enjoy it and some fox control. I shoot corvids when asked but have no interest in rough shooting. Don't really like pheasant that much. Love bunny though. Used to shoot handguns every week.

Outdoor stuff, been camping since I was a nipper. Any excuse and I'm out in a tent. Basically I am preparing for the zombie poxylips. I like a bit of fishing too, sea fishing so I can eat what I catch. Would love to try fly fishing.

I'd like to go on the ancient weaponry and tool making course. Flint knapping and making a bow etc would be great. Whilst not wantiing to be in atrue life or deth situation, I would like the chance to do some proper survival stuff. You know, a bit of mild peril where you've no fag lighter and the pot noodles have nearly run out.

Not really related, but it does go BANG! Picked up my new (used) .357 Magnum on Friday & had a 'play' at the range yesterday - can pop off .38 special wad cutters all day, and let about 50 go, - but only managed 12 x 357's and I had enough! Managed to get every shot 'on' target, but not all of them scored! Just 25m. Was happy with the out come, have a bit of rear sight adjusting to do, but very happy over all - just need lots of practice :) - ps bought this one........
SAM_1559.JPG
Its a French made Manurhin MR88.

As for camping, trying to get away somewhere warmer with the gang, but cant due to the W word (work!)

Hunting in general in Froggy land consists of half cut guys, standing at the side of the road in the rain on a Sunday, dressed in Dayglo, waiting for a deer or pig to run across/in front of them then they all let rip.....(dogs are put in one side of the forest and hopefully chase stuff towards the guns....) not my idea of fun! Stalking is the way to go, or out with a dog shooting bunnies :)

Last edited:
I enjoy going to friends Farms in SA and doing some shooting. Not dont to much hunting only got a Blesse buck Since then we have only gone in summer so dont really what to go in that heat.
Trying to talk my wife into going in June so i can get a zebra for the skin.

You can nearly do what you want out there chris we did have the next door farm owner come over when we let off around 500 rounds he thought they were being raided. it was all sorts of calibers so must have sounded really good.

stu

Tidy piece. Of course it's related. I used to like my 357. I had two. One was a snubby 2 1/2 " Looked nice, might have n=been useful at close quarters but get a group at 25m Ha ha ha. Nope.

my father in law has the 357 nice but old school for me. i also shot last time a 357 wincester underlever rifle which i couldnt hit anything with.

Always interested in chatter. Problem is on an open forum, it's not to everyone's taste or way of thinking.
If this sort of thing offends you then don't read the thread and keep you opinions to yourself!

I do know about that.

Fact is, I've spent years of my life doing wildlife conservation where it belongs, on the ground. Checking animal populations, sensitizing communities, turning poachers into rangers, patrolling, looking for species deemed extinct but hiding very far beyond nowhere, collecting traps and snares, tracking herds and checking how many calves they had, dealing with problem animals (the kind that had killed people and the type that exterminate crops), providing a revenue from wild animals for local villages so that they got a vested interest in conserving them, getting rained on, roasted by the sun, de-fattened by the long walks, eaten by mozzies at night and tsetse flies in the day.

Well, I'll tell you one secret: in all these years, I never met ONE SINGLE so-called animal-lover out there. Never. Met tons of them radical bunny-huggers who could not tell the difference between the trunk and the tail of an elephant, and wouldn't guess what the N on a compass stands for, but were ready to hang me high and short for saying that hunting is necessary to conservation - all of them in town, or behind a computer far away.

So if anyone is offended, or thinks it's not a good idea, but would sincerely like to conserve animals and know about REAL wildlife conservation, he or she can PM me, I'll explain them a few basics, and invite them to come over and see for themselves what it's all about.

OK, sorry about the rant...

Froggy, I had never seen a Manurhin revolver, did not even know about them in .357. Do they make them in 3" barrel? (that one is 5" if I'm not mistaken)

tis a 6", apparently used by the French 'special Police' ooeer misses! until they went semi-auto just a few years ago.
They still make revolvers, but for special order. They used to make all barrel lengths, but only a few now.
http://www.chapuis-armes.com/26-manurhin
I was reading that there was a tie up with Ruger (hence the R in MR)
Its all new to me, having just got back into shooting after a very long time!

If we stopped eating eggs, there'd be no chickens
If we stopped drinking milk, there'd be no cows.

yadda yadda.

I can't see farmers doing all that work just so that people can look at lambs running around on a sunny day. People are usually offended / outraged because they think they're supposed to be. Normally just before they go for lunch. Ohh I couldn't eat a wabbit they're so cute. But cows stink so it's fine to kill them.

That being said and as avid shooter as I am, I have absolutely no desire to shoot an elephant, hippo, baboon and such like. OK if a village had a major issue with something gone ape as it were, or it was sick, sure. I'd pull the trigger on it. Eland, Impala, Kudu, yep sign me up. OK why the duplicity? Not really sure. But just as I'd like to drive a Bugatti but not an Audi A8, I'd like to shoot antelope but not a tiger. My choice.

Used to shoot feral goat up in Dumfries. Now that was good shooting. Get just as much fun out of shooting clays though. I like that. Pistol was great. I'd love to get on something belt fed and just keep my finger on the trigger til my money ran out. I don't think I'd get bored with that. I'd like to go to Knob Creek. Google it.

I'm not religeous, nor particularly spiritual, but I always give a nod to anything I shoot (not clays obviously) and a quick kill is very important to me. I don't do chancy stuff.

I have been surprised a number of times by hunters (dogs and guns) who refuse to finish an animal when their weapon isn't available . I'm not suggesting anyone here would be the same but for me anyway there is a huge divide between pulling a trigger and breaking a neck with bare hands or cutting a throat with a knife .

And there are laws Shayne. You have to understand these. You can shoot an animal and unfortunately not kill it, but then to go and strangle it or break its neck is in some cases against the law. I don't make these ridiculous laws but there have been cases brought against people who have even been asked by the Police to dispatch something. I am governed by the Firearms Act and the Deer Act as well as a host of other wildlife protection regs and Acts. Get it wrong and you can be in big trouble. They don't actually seem to balance dispatching something with the suffering it endures whilst lying there with people standing over it trying to decide what they can do without being prosecuted. Cruelty, knife laws, firearms in public places etc. This is why vets get called out so often. Not to fix the creature but to lawfully dispatch it.

Yes i accept that i was talking more from a personal or emotional point of view and thinking of a particular event that still to this day baffles me . The most vicious guy i have ever known clipped a ducks head with his car . He stopped because his girlfriend went mental but to my astonishment he absolutely refused to get out and kill it (it was obviously well beyond repair though still walking) . This guy is a butcher not by trade but by nature , the less said about his regard for animals the better but suffice to say i've seen him inflict atrocious damage on people and it is something of wonder he has never actually killed anyone . I got out and sent the poor bugger to duck heaven and experienced once again the sickening feeling that goes with it .

I'm outraged!!! Seeing this thread has really upset me...... It reminded me I have some nice steaks in the fridge but we ate out!!! Have to wait till Wednesday now :icon-biggrin:

Like to go camping and generally get out and about away from it all. My father taught me all sorts of stuff when I was younger.

Apart from paintball last time i shot anything was bunnies with an air rifle, was taught how to prep them for dinner too.

Back