Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I fricking want this LC so bad

The V8 4.5L single turbo diesel versions as VDJ79 in single cab landed in Oz in 2007, and as Stan noted the dual cab versions in 2012.
The Troopy version, VDJ78, and the VDJ76 4 door wagon with the same 4.5L V8 TD also came out in 2007 in Oz.
Yes they have 'cart' springs as mentioned, but worse they widened the front chassis section to fit the V8 diesel in and subsequently the front diff as well. But they left the rear diff the same narrow size as earlier models, so the front track is now wider than the rear track by 100mm.
Can make them rather dangerous on rutted sandy tracks and the like as the rear tyres start swinging up and down the high inside track marks.

But the V8 sound makes it all worthwhile. :icon-cool:

I will get one one day! :icon-twisted:

The biggest issue with them is the rear axle width but most people get around this by running wheels with 50mm more negative off set on the rear than the front and they then carry two spares, one for the front and one for the rear.

In Europe you could of course just run wheel spacers, but down here their not legal for road use.

A better solution is to fit some of the kit manufactured by multidrive. :icon-biggrin:

http://www.trutracker.com.au/

Last edited:
The V8 4.5L single turbo diesel versions as VDJ79 in single cab landed in Oz in 2007, and as Stan noted the dual cab versions in 2012.
The Troopy version, VDJ78, and the VDJ76 4 door wagon with the same 4.5L V8 TD also came out in 2007 in Oz.
Yes they have 'cart' springs as mentioned, but worse they widened the front chassis section to fit the V8 diesel in and subsequently the front diff as well. But they left the rear diff the same narrow size as earlier models, so the front track is now wider than the rear track by 100mm.
Can make them rather dangerous on rutted sandy tracks and the like as the rear tyres start swinging up and down the high inside track marks.

But the V8 sound makes it all worthwhile. :icon-cool:

I will get one one day! :icon-twisted:

The biggest issue with them is the rear axle width but most people get around this by running wheels with 25mm more negative off set on the rear than the front and they then carry two spares, one for the front and one for the rear.

In Europe you could of course just run wheel spacers, but down here their not legal for road use.

A better solution is to fit some of the kit manufactured by multidrive. :icon-biggrin:

http://www.trutracker.com.au/

I think the chap that owns the LC in the video i posted has negative 50 on the rear wheels he made a point of mentioning it in so other videos

I did not find the wheel tracking much of a problem on my 4 day trip to Wales, but what I did find was that the rear shock mounts drag in the ground when in a deep rut

I did not find the wheel tracking much of a problem on my 4 day trip to Wales, but what I did find was that the rear shock mounts drag in the ground when in a deep rut

Isn't that a common problem on most 4x4's though David? I know it is on my 80, there's no offset adjustment (or any other mod) that I can think of that would improve that scenario, without a major axle design change.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There is a lucky man in the UK who has a right hand drive VDJ79, he may even be a member on here I don't know

Its all to do with build dates and engines.
the double cab came out in oz in 2012 so only has the v8
in the middle east, ie the imports from germany like mine its only the 1hz or v6 petrol in them all, single/double(79) station wagon(76)
in SA its the 1hz, v6 petrol or the v8 diesel available in them all
the hdj turbo was only in aussie single cabs and troopies till 2006 i believe
Why only LHD? SA is a RHD country.

There's not type approval for new 70 series in the UK. You don't need type approval if the vehicle is more than 10 years old, or LHD.

That said I don't understand how the LHDs are OK in Germany, unless they have a different type approval set up.

There's not type approval for new 70 series in the UK. You don't need type approval if the vehicle is more than 10 years old, or LHD.

That said I don't understand how the LHDs are OK in Germany, unless they have a different type approval set up.
And I guess finding a lower mileage vehicle older than ten years old, will be like hens teeth.

They all have to go through IVA here. You can have RHD but it has to be over 6 months old, But the new ones dont meet euro 6 as far as i am aware.
The LHD 1hz was made euro 5 compliant by the Germans. There is no euro 6 solution for the 1hz only the v6 petrol (grj). I believe the v8 diesel is euro 4 so you can import it at the relevant age for euro 4, i think this upto 2010.
I can source 2007 v8 79 single cab/78 troopy/76 staion wagon without the need for IVA.

They all have to go through IVA here. You can have RHD but it has to be over 6 months old, But the new ones dont meet euro 6 as far as i am aware.
The LHD 1hz was made euro 5 compliant by the Germans. There is no euro 6 solution for the 1hz only the v6 petrol (grj). I believe the v8 diesel is euro 4 so you can import it at the relevant age for euro 4, i think this upto 2010.
I can source 2007 v8 79 single cab/78 troopy/76 staion wagon without the need for IVA.
If you take my 100 and find me a RHD, with the relevant Euro compliance, I am in.

Andrew St Pierre White has moved to Western Australia and has bought a 79 double cab as his next expedition project...

Big market for these cars here in East Africa too, mainly 1hz. Unfortunately Toyota Tanzania dont manufacture them here so most people get the V8 79series pickup imported from either SA or Aus.

I've read many things regarding that engine but i personally dont think its a reliable engine for a 3rd world country. I have never seen a 79 series pickup in England, i wonder why?

Back