Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

i KNOW NOTHING about CB radio so

Looks pretty good from what I know about CB Shayne. If it fits and the reviews are good then it's probably ideal. Beyond that I know not. Go for it, mate it to a decent antenna and off you go. :)

I can see it now, yes it looks OK to me as well, one thing to keep an eye on is the channel change buttons on the top of the mike. I had a mike like that and was forever accidently pressing a top button by mistake and changing the channel then wondering no-one was talking to me.

Thanks for pointing that out Chas i decided against this one for that same reason
cobra_75_2.jpg
Loose leads/wires are a pet hate of mine so given the CB will only get occasional use i decided a removable mike is the way to go .

Would i be right in thinking i could change the mike later should it prove to be an annoyance ?

I can see it now, yes it looks OK to me as well, one thing to keep an eye on is the channel change buttons on the top of the mike. I had a mike like that and was forever accidently pressing a top button by mistake and changing the channel then wondering no-one was talking to me.

Huh, that was my excuse for ignoring you Chas....

I've been rumbled :doh:

I expect the buttons could be disconnected if they proved a nuisance Shayne. They probably won't be a problem.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just had a quick mess about with a multimeter and i can find no continuity from the wheel carrier to the door at all :wtf:

To run an earth wire from my tow socket to the carrier is the only idea i can come up with ?

You could scrape the paint off under the offending joints, or run a strap across. I've got a short strap somewhere with big 'oles in the ends. Why do you need it earthed anyway Shayne? Mag mounts are isolated from Earth if it's your antenna you're thinking of?

I don't know what i'm doing Rich google images just shows a few adding a ground wire . I was about to bin the antenna when i realized the lead on my meter wasn't fully in which is why it wasn't giving me any joy .

So if i go and put the antenna back on now i guess i will have continuity from that to the far end of the coax .

Antenna bolt 001.JPG

So as long as this rather rusty looking bolt has a good clean connection with the wheel carrier and i have continuity from the antenna whip to the coax at the radio i should be good yeah ?

Continuity from the bracket to the rear door latch is good so it must be ground along with the car body as i expected . I am trying to work out why last years CB got fried and its looking like either i used the swr meter wrong or it was fried before i got it .

Continuity from the bracket to the rear door latch is good so it must be ground along with the car body as i expected . I am trying to work out why last years CB got fried and its looking like either i used the swr meter wrong or it was fried before i got it .
Or if the aerial wasn't grounded that could have bu**ered the CB if you transmitted.

I made the bracket , welded it to the carrier and bolted the antenna on when it was still bare metal then painted over it all so i have to assume if the bracket is grounded now it was grounded then . The handset was left on the passenger side floor while i fitted the CB while standing at the drivers door .

I have never seen any numbers or anything at all on the display it lights up and the speaker crackles that's as good as it ever got .

I made the bracket , welded it to the carrier and bolted the antenna on when it was still bare metal then painted over it all so i have to assume if the bracket is grounded now it was grounded then . The handset was left on the passenger side floor while i fitted the CB while standing at the drivers door .

I have never seen any numbers or anything at all on the display it lights up and the speaker crackles that's as good as it ever got .
Well that should certainly have been grounded, I mentioned it because once when I was out laning my aerial got knocked of and not realising that, I was still trying to call the others, I now have a new CB and a fried one.

Couple of things...

Those mikes with the buttons on should have a button lock doofah, my quadband had a slider type lock, some have a button, check the padlock icon on the one in the pic, that'll stop accidental channel change.

For grounding you really do need a good earth, clean it all up spick n span then smear copperslip on it before fitting, it'll help prevent corrosion effecting the good ground over time, and it'll help provide a really good connection.

Couple of things...

Those mikes with the buttons on should have a button lock doofah, my quadband had a slider type lock, some have a button, check the padlock icon on the one in the pic, that'll stop accidental channel change.
I just happen to have the mike I had problems with beside me, there are three buttons on the top UP, DN and UK/EU but nothing to lock them out.
What I did was to use a small strip of rubber draught excluder stuck over the buttons leaving a slot in the middle to expose the buttons which helped reduce the possibility of accidently pressing them.

think "should" was the operative word there Chas :icon-biggrin:

if the rig has channel change buttons, I'd be tempted to disconect the bottons on the mic, if not, I guess draft excluder is a good bodge!

They're not "all the same" some work on different frequencies, but that one states 27 megs so should be good to go with any CB

Shayne, if you want to leave fitting or at least testing till you get to my place, you can use my meter.

After all, you bought it !!!

Back