Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

i KNOW NOTHING about CB radio so

Yep, it's a rubber tip, and it's lasted very well in the forests.

Do you need a photo...?

Not a good pic, but gives an idea...

image.jpeg

I would have thought it's only a safety feature to stop you poking your eye out. Maybe you could make a rubber top out of a grommet but I don't see the need TBH.

Last edited:
I had a rubber/plastic tip on mine but long gone now, I don't know why they are there they can't serve any purpose for transmitting.

Thanks Clive no photo necessary Chas has answered the question i was asking myself . How did you get on with your CB problems in the end , mines going in the bin and i am dubious about replacing it with the same again .

Thanks Clive no photo necessary Chas has answered the question i was asking myself . How did you get on with your CB problems in the end , mines going in the bin and i am dubious about replacing it with the same again .

Have you had anyone to confirm it's fried Shayne?

Mine seems to be working OK mate, thanks.

Trouble is here, I can't talk to anyone anyway, not until you guys come :lol:

Channel 20 seems to be the most used, and when I open it I get traffic.

I seem to remember not receiving you Clive but I think you could hear me OK, I would make sure you are getting a good contact on the aerial base on the bull bar, could be a reason you were not transmitting well.

Its brand new never used and dead which bugs me because throughout the whole fitting process which was done while leaning through the drivers door the mike was left in the passenger footwell untouched ?

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To avoid threadjacking Stockesy i will answer you here Chas , my father in law went with his humour , pride and dignity intact i found him on the floor at home the day we usually go for a few pints and play pool . The ambulance arrived 4 hours later ! and the tough old bugger fought for the best part of a week in and out of delirium yet still managing to entertain whatever audience he could find . He was tired and it was time to go that's all . He was a rare man and am glad to have known him .

Really sorry to hear about Helen's Dad. Thoughts with you both. Found my Mum on the floor of her flat two weeks ago next Monday. Thought we would be calling the undertakers but got the Ambulance to her and into Worthing Hospital where they have got her well again with a huge amount of kindness and care that really is a revelation.

Not nice finding a relative like that.

Keep hold of your CB, I'll have a look at it next time we meet up if you like.

Really sorry to hear about Helen's Dad. Thoughts with you both. Found my Mum on the floor of her flat two weeks ago next Monday. Thought we would be calling the undertakers but got the Ambulance to her and into Worthing Hospital where they have got her well again with a huge amount of kindness and care that really is a revelation.

Not nice finding a relative like that.

We too are sorry for your loss Shayne/ Helen. It doesn't matter how much you may or may not see these things coming, it's after they're gone that you really start to appreciate who and what people close to you were really all about.

My mum is 93 in May and I'm preparing myself for her not knowing me at all this next visit. She lives with my Brother since my sister Fran died, and occasionally she refers to him as her "firstborn" but he says there's always a question in her voice, as though she's not convinced. She often admits to being 'tired', meaning tired of 'it' not being sleepy.

It's no fun getting old, I don't recommend it...

I seem to remember not receiving you Clive but I think you could hear me OK, I would make sure you are getting a good contact on the aerial base on the bull bar, could be a reason you were not transmitting well.

As I say Chas, I don't really have any means to test it properly. I'm now in touch with a guy here that sells and installs CBs, so I'm going to pay him a visit. I think between us we can test transmit and receive and then if there are problems, he can assist me in sorting it out.

I'e had the mast of and cleaned up the connection, but there were no signs of rust. We'll see how it goes.:thumbup:

Sorry if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs here, not read the whole thread.

The EU uses different frequencies to UK CB channels, most EU compatible rigs will have a way of altering the settings, usually by holding in the press to talk button on the mic while powering on will enter the menu, then scrolling thu until you hit the right one denoted by an extra letter on the channel number, I could find a list/standard distructions if it'll help.

earthing the rig chassis can screw things up too, the aierial provides the earth, so two different potentials can throw it out.

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs here, not read the whole thread.

The EU uses different frequencies to UK CB channels, most EU compatible rigs will have a way of altering the settings, usually by holding in the press to talk button on the mic while powering on will enter the menu, then scrolling thu until you hit the right one denoted by an extra letter on the channel number, I could find a list/standard distructions if it'll help.

earthing the rig chassis can screw things up too, the aierial provides the earth, so two different potentials can throw it out.

I have no idea of these systems matey, so all info is useful and new to me, many thanks for your comments.

Although I installed the unit myself, I would like what I've done to be verified by someone who knows.

Thanks again :thumbup:

If this doesn't relate to yor rig Clive, post the make/model I'll see what I can find

Frequency Bands Table
The transceiver includes an advanced multi-standard programmable circuit, which allows to program

different frequency bands, specifications and operating modes, in conformity with the regulations in the country where
the product is used. 9 programmable frequency bands are available, as per the below table :
Attention !
This radio has been factory pre-programmed on the
CE
frequency band
(CEPT 40CH FM 4W)
, since this
standard is currently accepted in all the European countries. Please refer to the information table at page

PD
FREQUENCY BAND
ID CODE
COUNTRY
SPECIFICATIONS
(Channels, Operating Modes, TX Power)
E1 ITALY/SPAIN
40CH AM / FM 4W
I2 ITALY
36CH AM / FM 4W
dE GERMANY
80CH FM 4W - 12CH AM 1W
d2 GERMANY
40CH FM 4W - 12CH AM 1W
EU EUROPE/FRANCE
40CH FM 4W - 40CH AM 1W
CE CEPT
40CH FM 4W
UUK
40CH FM 4W UK FREQUENCIES
40CH FM 4W CEPT FREQUENCIES
PL POLAND
POLAND
40CH AM / FM 4W POLISH FREQUENCIES
40CH AM 1W / FM 4W POLISH FREQUENCIES

Frequency band selection / programming
- 11 -
Frequency Band Selection / Programming
This two-way CB radio has to be programmed and exclusively used on a frequency band allowed in the country where
the product is used. When radio is switched ON, the current programmed frequency band code will be displayed
(blinking) for about 3 seconds. To program a different frequency band, proceed as follows :
1) Turn OFF the radio.
2) Press and keep pressed the UP key (6), then turn ON the radio using the OFF/VOL knob (10).
3) The current frequency band code (B) will blink on the LCD display (5).
4) Now select the new desired frequency band code by pressing the Up (6) or Down keys (7).
5) Wait for about 5 seconds to confirm and store the new selected frequency band code.
UK/CE CHANNELS SELECTION (FREQUENCY BAND "U")
The "U" band (UK/CE band) includes both UK and CE channels, this band is for use in the UK. All channels can be
scrolled using the Up (6) or Down (7) keys. If a UK channel is selected, the display (5) will show the channel number
(B) and the indication "U". If a CEPT channel is selected the display (5) will show the channel number (B) and the
indication "C"

They're usually pretty easy to set up, make sure the aerial has a good earth connection, clean the underside of the mounting hole and apply a bit of copperslip to water proof and help make a good connection, make sure the aerial lead plugs are good/centre pin soldered (specially on the PL259 big plug rig end - the constant screwing up/unscrewing can twist the plug and break the centre wire) and open circuit between the centre wire and outer braid of the 50ohm coax cable (not TV/Sat cable), best to take power for the rig directly from the battery.
Once it's installed you need an SWR meter (standing wave ratio) to check the aerial is matched correctly for the frequency, there's a couple of diff types of meter, one with two meters and a knob, one with one meter and a switch and a knob. key the mic in the middle of the band (ch 20) and adjust the knob until the meter is on the set point on the rhs of the meter with switch set to FORWARD/FWD then switch the switch to REFLECT/REF and read off the ratio, you want anything under 1:1.5 for best opperation really. (on the two meter type just read off the other meter) If it's over 1.5 you need to adjust the length of the aerial slightly, there should be some sort of adjustment, either a screw in section with a locknut, or an allen key locking the whip to it's base, suggest adjusting length by 1-2mm, then re-doing the SWR procedure, if the SWR comes down, happy days you're adjusting the right way, if it goes up adjust it the other way until you get lowest SWR reading.

edit: forgot to mention the SWR meter goes between the rig and aerial lead, you'll need a patch lead with a PL259 plug on each end, the female plugs on the SWR meter should be marked TRANSMITTER & ANTENNA as it only works one way!

If the SWR is way out don't key the mic for more than a couple of seconds, it can blow the rig, it usually indicates a bad earth or bad cable/connection or wrong aerial, or really badly set aerial, they're usually pretty close as it's a set length. On some vehicles it can get a bit technical as to where the aerial is mounted (LR can be a pain) as the earth connection is providing the ground plain for the aerial (middle of metal roof would be best for best ground plain, but not best for laining!) I managed to get 1:1.2 on my 80 with the aerials mounted on the bull bars so it should be doable assuming good earth between bullbar/chassis.

HTH

Last edited:
Everything had been set up as you have kindly advised. The unit has an earth (black) and a live (red), direct from the battery.

The SWR meter showed everything as should be.

My unit has 40 preset channels and it's an Albreicht, but I don't have a model or serial number.

Thats all I know I'm afraid, all the data you've provided is double-Dutch to me. It has an on/off / volume knob and the channel selectors are up and down buttons on the top of the mic.

But as I said, I don't know whether it's working till I get an accomplice close by to trial it.

After a browse, I think this is it... and I'm in Romania...

Last edited:
Romania is on standard EU frequencies 26.965MHz - 27.405MHz @ 4watts FM or 1watt AM E.i.r.p. (effective isotropic radiated power, depends on the gain of your antenna it'll be set by the rig once set to EU) you can use either modulation. This is different to UK frequencies, UK chaps visiting your country should change their settings to EU, likewise if you visit the UK you'd have to change to UK frequencies on FM only to be a) legal and b) be able to hear each other.

Here's the user manual - you can download it in pdf or just read it on screen

Channel 9 is reserved for emergency calls, so it is forbidden for general use.
Channel 14 AM is used by CB 100mw walkie talkies.
On channel 22, which is used by romanian truck drivers, you can get useful traffic and any other road information etc.

Range will be pretty much line of sight only. I'm guessing most people will be on FM with the higher power, next time your on a major road (or sat on the top of a mountain with major roads visible) stick it on 22 and switch between FM/AM put a shout out until you hear someone!

If the SWR came in OK I'd say chances are high everything is working correctly, just not many CBers near you!

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks a lot, that's great!

All I knew of that was the channel 22 bit, didn't know about channel 9 or 14 though, especially good to know about channel 9.

Thanks for the manual too, I have the paper one somewhere, but you know how it is....

Cheers Pumpy! :thumbup:

This one fits in the hole on my dash spot on .

So with my CB knowledge exhausted in the above sentence would any experts like to tell me if its good bad or ugly ?

This one fits in the hole on my dash spot on .

So with my CB knowledge exhausted in the above sentence would any experts like to tell me if its good bad or ugly ?
Should there have been a picture or a link there Shayne?

Back