Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

i KNOW NOTHING about CB radio so

Steady now Shayne, it has to be done right or else you won't get the SWR right and it won't work properly. RG58 co-ax is what you need not TV. It has to be 50 ohm and TV is 75 ohm and not for transmitting. Try Moonraker, I had some bits from them recently and got the wrong plugs, they rang me to check and changed the order for the right ones. www.moonraker.eu. You could ask them to send next day, I seem to remember they were pretty quick.

Last edited:
I did resist the temptation Starcruiser and happily i have been awarded another 2 days preparation time as i had it today was the 12th and ferry is on Friday :icon-smile: so i've left a message for Jim to call me asap and i'm reasonably confident all will be well assuming tapping into my headlight level adjust for a live feed won't fry the little Japanese gremlin hiding in my black box .

And here's some pics for Clive , you get a little key to detach the antenna leaving whats left in the bottom pic so i'm thinking if you welded a little shield on your bumper to protect that bit i imagine you would have to be very unlucky to break it .

antenna%20mount%20001_zps1qjw7vuh.jpg

antenna%20mount%20002_zpsq6gm8kdg.jpg

, you get a little key to detach the antenna leaving whats left in the bottom pic so i'm thinking if you welded a little shield on your bumper to protect that bit i imagine you would have to be very unlucky to break it .

antenna%20mount%20002_zpsq6gm8kdg.jpg
On mine the whole swivel bit unscrews leaving just the dome part.

Wasted a whole day fitting it and the antenna cable turns out to be 3ft too short :icon-rolleyes: no idea what to do about it because its to late to order anything so unless they sell it in tesco :confusion-shrug:

Wasn't a complete waste of time though because now i know what i'm doing we should have yours installed in about 15 minutes Clive .

Sorry Shayne, haven't visited the forum for a few days, so apologies for not responding... :icon-rolleyes:

The answer is yes, yes and err yes I think so.

I can't do anything in 15 minutes these days, (except what you're thinking:lol: ) so it all sounds good to me Shayne, thanks a lot! :thumbup:

Hey, those pics look really smart, it will be a bit out of place screwed onto the front of my truck Shayne :lol:

Great stuff, can't wait now guys... :dance::dance:

Any change to your ETA fella's ?

I'm still on target to be at the house from Tuesday evening (18th Aug) so if any of you are going to arrive earlier, you'll have to wait :lol:

Seriously, if there is anyone coming earlier, just drive in and pitch up till we come. I think you all have my telephone number, yes? PM me if not....

I just measured your cable will 4m be long enough from your antenna to where you want to fit the radio ?

Has me wondering about mine which i didn't measure before i started , my whole truck is only 4300mm long :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just measured your cable will 4m be long enough from your antenna to where you want to fit the radio ?

Has me wondering about mine which i didn't measure before i started , my whole truck is only 4300mm long :?

4m should be plenty Shayne, probably end up coiling one end. It will go from the front bar mount, through the grille, run along the front slam, down the inner wing and through the bulkhead where there's already a few cables going through, coming out by my right leg.

I'd like to mount it on the side of the front part of the centre console, it's plastic, so we'll need an earth run, but we'll be fine with that.

Does the mic have a cradle mount? That's probably going to be the hardest choice, where to stick that. :icon-rolleyes:

Way ahead of you Clive we have 5 plastic self adhesive cradles each because a pack of 10 cost 2 quid more than than 2 individuals :wtf: and because i expect to regret drilling a hole then deciding after using the cb a bit that i should have put it here/there or somewhere else . I ordered 2m extension cable x2 as well to be safe though i don't expect you will need it .

Way ahead of you Clive we have 5 plastic self adhesive cradles each because a pack of 10 cost 2 quid more than than 2 individuals :wtf: and because i expect to regret drilling a hole then deciding after using the cb a bit that i should have put it here/there or somewhere else . I ordered 2m extension cable x2 as well to be safe though i don't expect you will need it .

Brill Shayne, looks like all bases covered. :thumbup:

4m should be plenty Shayne, probably end up coiling one end.

Don't coil the cable for the antenna, cb's (radios) don't like that, if the cable is too long route it the long way and lose it under the dash or in the engine bay if you are mounting it on the front of your vehicle.

Don't coil the cable for the antenna, cb's (radios) don't like that, if the cable is too long route it the long way and lose it under the dash or in the engine bay if you are mounting it on the front of your vehicle.

Good to know Julian, thanks mate.

We're the blind leading the blind on this one, methinks :lol:

I give up on this "don't transmit without checking swr" "to use swr fit antenna select channel 20 and transmit" i can't fit the antenna and the swr meter to the radio ( by the way its a RADIO not a transponding tranducing hyperbaric syntax equation of transexual technology , a radio nothing more , because the radio has only one connection point ? Can't turn to channel 20 because the screen lights up but shows nothing so sod it .

You put the SWR meter in line Shayne. Put it where you've extended the cable. It will show 'ant' on one connection so connect that to the antenna and connect the other connection to the 'radio'. If the SWR is wrong, you may as well bin the whole lot as you will damage the transmitter side of the 'radio'.

Last edited:
first thing i tried Starcruiser but nothing does anything and i can't select a channel because the screen doesn't show anything . Had i not drilled holes for it i would rip it out and drive over it .

Fret not Shayne, I'm sure we will figure it out when we meet up. What time do you anticipate arriving in Dover?

If the plan had gone to plan i would have left about now and get some sleep before the ferry but might end up driving overnight .

Just one of those days Clive i can't wait to get away from the house .

@Clive

Does your cb antenna have a tip/cap mate ? thinking i've lost mine in a hospital multistory carpark ?

Back