Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I want to upgrade but....

I wouldn’t swap my 3 litre D4D Hilux for Colorado I used to drive
ITs been just as good off-roading, better for overlanders trips. Noticeably more powerful and quieter to drive. I have also fitted a steinbauer chip which increased power and torque even more. 0-60 about 10secs now.

I found our 2005 , 120 series more than smooth enough.
Quite enough power to pull or 4 wheel caravan round Europe several times.
Caravan probably totaled up to just over 2100kg.
Plus a loaded 120, of say 2200kg.
Our 120 was special though, ex VOSA, well looked after, it was as sweet as a nut, and almost on 280,000 miles.
However, compared to my wife's 3.0 Liter V6 Touareg, the 120now seems woefully underpowered.
3.0 liter V6 Touareg, 265 BHP, 510 Tq.
Really quite massive compared to the 120 series 165 bhp, and around 400 TQ.

If I was in the market, I would be looking for a late (2005 onwards) Amazon, but oh so expensive, bordering on insane.

Agreed it was the first i found and i imagine cheaper than a 150 at 60k miles so a fair example . IMO the new FJ don't picture well so i had no interest until i actually seen one on the street and thought wow i'd like to test drive that .

This caught my eye last night.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202009103571734
1606165178443.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't know they all became collectively known as the D4D ?
They should have made a D6D ......that's where it all went wrong .... The equivalent Discovery is 265 hp .... if Landrover managed to do reliability Toyota would be stuffed as the Disco knocks spots off the 120 and 150 both in power and ride/handling/ towing ability ....sad to say ;-(

Just dont get a discovery sport with the Jaguar engine shoved in the wrong way!

Just read all your replies. Thanks for all. Certainly makes me think about keeping the Collie. Its just so reliable, never fails to start and feels right to drive(had it since November 2005). Only rust is drivers rear wheel arch starting to blister. Higgy, its just clocked 269K miles and still pulls well. Also been looking at 120 Cruisers but they all seem to be LC5 or £550 road tax band. Decisions, decisions
Karl I work with an ex jag/Land Rover tech who has warned of such vehicles " unless I have extremely deep pockets and a spare car to use while its in the workshop"

Interesting - we have a 4.2 80 series and a 2015 3.0 Hilux - the latter is faster, more torque and better fuel economy. The 80 sounds nicer (more like a truck) but dynamically the 3.0 is so much better. Can't comment on the Collie, never had one., just commenting for context. Good luck Steve!
:)

Its always an interesting Topic, MOT testers either turn a blind eye or never even notice that it has a bull bar. I suppose the main headache would be Insurance, IF you clobbered someone/something etc etc...... I welded an old A bar straight to my Bumper.. Took it for its MOT a while ago I dont think the tester even noticed it.. As far as the Law goes im sure it has something to do with the age of the vehicle/ Construction and use/ etc etc.... Be Interesting to find out, Do Insurance companies class it as a Modification.... Dont Know.......

Best to tell insurance company if you have even changed the babys smelly nappy or you will be holding on to that for a long time Driving down the road and you change gear tell the insurance company they would really love to not pay you for your trouble

Its always an interesting Topic, MOT testers either turn a blind eye or never even notice that it has a bull bar. I suppose the main headache would be Insurance, IF you clobbered someone/something etc etc...... I welded an old A bar straight to my Bumper.. Took it for its MOT a while ago I dont think the tester even noticed it.. As far as the Law goes im sure it has something to do with the age of the vehicle/ Construction and use/ etc etc.... Be Interesting to find out, Do Insurance companies class it as a Modification.... Dont Know.......
There seems to be a lot of "don't know" around this area and as has been pointed out the insurance company will actively look for a reason not to pay even if it's not your fault .
I "think" I can fit a winch bumper and winch to the 80 because it will be for work and it was built in 86.....but I'm fitting the winch and bar in 2020 .....

You can fit a winch bumper to anything so long as it has a winch because the law allows for a "utility bumper" , insurers should be made aware of all modifications . They have some listed for me that i haven't actually got yet .

Winch bumpers are ok i guess, With the winch hidden away etc, I guess its the difference between having the Bull/ Roo bars that some Insurance companies could frown upon, Im not sure but in Australia or Africa do they come as Factory fitted, Because they have a genuine probability that they could hit a Bull/ Kangaroo etc. Where as in the UK The possibility is Slim..... Unless we changed the name to Cat/ Dog/ Pub Wall etc etc. Im sure most folk know that bull bars in the UK are mainly aesthetic, Which is fine by me..

What about vehicles sold with a bull bar / solid bumpers ? If it's on the invoice, does it still need a winch to justify ?

Winch bumpers are ok i guess, With the winch hidden away etc, I guess its the difference between having the Bull/ Roo bars that some Insurance companies could frown upon, Im not sure but in Australia or Africa do they come as Factory fitted, Because they have a genuine probability that they could hit a Bull/ Kangaroo etc. Where as in the UK The possibility is Slim..... Unless we changed the name to Cat/ Dog/ Pub Wall etc etc. Im sure most folk know that bull bars in the UK are mainly aesthetic, Which is fine by me..
In our area deer bar would be very appropriate ..... 240 car v deer incidents in the last 18 months and several fatalities of car drivers....
Deer tend to jump straight into the road landing about where the white line is then bound up and over the hedge or bank , that puts them about car windscreen height on either carriageway.... or just high enough to tend to roll up the front and along the bonnet of a 4x4 .
I often get involved in bambi V vehicle incidents .... even the low speed ones do incredible damage to cars and 99% result in deer being humanely killed at the road side .

I remember one xmas day the missus nearly wrote off our ford fusion when we hit a Deer, Heed lamps smashed, Grill, Radiator, And windscreen, Poor thing still alive at the side of the road, So i slit its throat with my new Opinel Hunting Knife the missus got me for Xmas.... Then as by Magic a guy pulled up in Pick up who was the local Butcher, So we loaded it up and nothing went to waste,,,, Arrived at the Inlaws covered in Deer blood/ Shit...... Love my new Knife

We never have a shortage of Bambi ....problem is Bambi isn't my favourite meat
Bloke I used to race Motorcross with comes from a family of butchers ..... 1 Bambi used to get me a supply of steak or lamb ....most RTA victims are hit on the rear end so often not much good.
Opinel Hunting knife ? obviously you love it and I have many Opinel folding knives..... I'm looking at getting a Mora Pathfinder as a utility knife ...any thoughts ? I like my other Mora knives so it seems a good choice

Back