Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Iceland 2015

Geothermal pools and vents at Hveravellir hut and camping spot. 2-3 hrs drive from nearest Tarmac and fantastic hot pool to sit in, have a beer and admire the remote views of plains, glaciers and mountains

https://youtu.be/CcWe1oWOavQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like a great trip :)

That a spot-tracker on your dash?

Ive been checking underneath the truck, at least one rubber bung is missing where cables have been put through access hole, will need some duck tape before I attempt a river crossing like that.....

Thanks Wobbly

Yes it's a SPOT, I also use it when sea kayaking and ski mountaineering.

Here is its track log from trip
9e9decfad16c1d4279bccfa2c17c9d52.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes I enjoyed your blog, read it last year. Will read again now I know the places :)

No we didn't try the 980 it was already about 6pm when we passed that road, so we were keen to get to camp and crack open cold ones ;). I remember seeing a car stuck in sand at side of road near hat turnoff

Great report Andy. Definitely somewhere i'd like to visit.

How did you find the caranex? Is it more up to standing the wind than the foxwing? Doest it appear to be well made and would you say it's hard wearing?

Great report Andy. Definitely somewhere i'd like to visit.

How did you find the caranex? Is it more up to standing the wind than the foxwing? Doest it appear to be well made and would you say it's hard wearing?

We were glad we had the caranex, with stove on inside it was cozy and still ventilated.
It can survive in stronger winds, which would have destroyed a foxwing. But it still has its limits of course. I think we had 40mph winds. 60 mph would have been too much.
Putting it up in the wind requires 2 people.

Overall it's well made, but I wonder how hard wearing it would be with lots of use in windy weather. The material isn't as thick as the foxwing material for example. But all the corners and guy attachment points have double thickness for strength.
The supplied guys at back slipped, so I replaced with oztent ones.
First few times it took me 15mins to put up.
But I got it down to 10mins
We are glad we got it, as it allowed us to cook and get out of the freezing wind. I would use it again, when weather vile and too much for a foxwing.

Others used tarps as shelter in the wind on the trip, but they were not so warm.

Had some issues with it in wind
1) the wind pushes the rear end down a lot when really blowy , but we put a table there to support the fabric. The rear end of car had to face into wind, otherwise the tent would balloon and take off with wind coming down sides of tent if front of car faced into wind.

2) the vertical and horizontal roof brace supporting poles have plastic stirrups, that clip onto each other. A couple of these got weakend and bent with strong gusts. I am going to see about getting these replaced or even get metal ones. I used electrician tape to stop the poles popping off

3) after trip I noticed scuffing on plastic rear wheel arches on the hilux, this was from the plastic guy rope attachments chafing on car in wind. These guys are used to attach the front of tent sides to rear door jamb. So in future I would wrap something around these.

4) when we had heavy rain some did get in at front, channeling down side of vehicle and fabric, but by tweaking the various flaps we reduced it.

What an envyable trip this has been, great photos Andy and a wonderful place.

Just love this 80...
1b29b20eb12bae687f2b9659f8a4db5e.jpg

198f7526600bc97e6032085a83a08a6e.jpg

Fantastic write-up thanks for all the posts. Still got the vids to watch... :thumbup:

Thanks Clive.
The day before when we saw that mountain rescue 80 there were two blonde Icelandic girls driving it, we joked about have a breakdown and calling for rescue :)

why no pictures of them Andy Disapointed to say the least!!!

We were glad we had the caranex, with stove on inside it was cozy and still ventilated.
It can survive in stronger winds, which would have destroyed a foxwing. But it still has its limits of course. I think we had 40mph winds. 60 mph would have been too much.
Putting it up in the wind requires 2 people.

Overall it's well made, but I wonder how hard wearing it would be with lots of use in windy weather. The material isn't as thick as the foxwing material for example. But all the corners and guy attachment points have double thickness for strength.
The supplied guys at back slipped, so I replaced with oztent ones.
First few times it took me 15mins to put up.
But I got it down to 10mins
We are glad we got it, as it allowed us to cook and get out of the freezing wind. I would use it again, when weather vile and too much for a foxwing.

Others used tarps as shelter in the wind on the trip, but they were not so warm.

Had some issues with it in wind
1) the wind pushes the rear end down a lot when really blowy , but we put a table there to support the fabric. The rear end of car had to face into wind, otherwise the tent would balloon and take off with wind coming down sides of tent if front of car faced into wind.

2) the vertical and horizontal roof brace supporting poles have plastic stirrups, that clip onto each other. A couple of these got weakend and bent with strong gusts. I am going to see about getting these replaced or even get metal ones. I used electrician tape to stop the poles popping off

3) after trip I noticed scuffing on plastic rear wheel arches on the hilux, this was from the plastic guy rope attachments chafing on car in wind. These guys are used to attach the front of tent sides to rear door jamb. So in future I would wrap something around these.

4) when we had heavy rain some did get in at front, channeling down side of vehicle and fabric, but by tweaking the various flaps we reduced it.

Thanks Andy. I am heading to the Alps - north of Nice - in September. The weather already looks unsettled in the area and was considering whether to get a Caranex in case of rain and strong winds.

why no pictures of them Andy Disapointed to say the least!!!

I think we were enjoying the view too much to take photos hhaahhaa

Reinhard - the wind isn't usually so bad in the Alps, as more shelter options than the open treeless plains in highlands in Iceland.
The space inside the caranex is snug, compared to under a foxwing. But ok for a few nights when weather is bad.
I also looked into various car-porch dome tent options too, maybe they would do better in strong wind, I am not sure. But most seemed to be for sale in USA...

Some people in our group had a Caranex attached to their 110 and repored the same problems as Andy in strong winds and rain, also broke some of the plastic fittings and tore the ground fixing point......as they had both a Oztent (at home) and a Caranex they were a good source of relative information about these two solutions. They were not happy with the Caranex. The Oztenters in our group did struggle with very high winds in exposed locations but less so.

Personally I wished I'd brought along our Tentipi and stove but didn't fancy kipping on the rough lava ground....we RTT'd and when it was lashing down/60mph+ we slept on the flat payload in our 100 - all snug and cosy

a few more pics to add to Andy's report

Attachments

• _MG_4122.JPG
    _MG_4122.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 121
  • _MG_4138.JPG
    _MG_4138.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • _MG_4115 9x16.jpg
    _MG_4115 9x16.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 119
  • _MG_4090.JPG
    _MG_4090.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 145
  • _MG_4297.JPG
    _MG_4297.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 135
Thinking of getting a tentpi and stove myself for camping in the colder months, how is it in strong winds ? Would it have survived the 60 mph wind ?

Nice photos to add to the collection, is the waterfall Heligfoss ?

Back