Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ideas for the most economical & cheap estate or van

spackrackman

If fuel is going over the 1.50 mark it's time to buy a work run about. My fuel costs are about 80 a week. I get approximately 25-27 mpg

I am sure there are people out there with far higher costs but what I want to know is

What vehicle offers the highest mpg(atleast 35) and the lowest purchase cost. 1k limit but £500 would be better. Needs to have similar floor area load space compared to the LC. Happily loose the back seats to achieve this. Estate would be better but a small van would work. Any ideas?
1.9 peugoet?
1.9 Audi

Age is no limit. If someone can suggest a tax exempt car that can have a desiel engine fitted then I could get good milage in style.

Etc etc..
Suggestions?

Or something that can have cooking oil hammered through it successfully. This appeals the most as it means I get to fiddle and modify and learn the ups and downs without breaking my 80

VW Caddy 1.9SDi will return 50mpg and is fairly sizey, you can get crew cab versions too.

Edit: Seat Inca is basically the same thing and will probably be a little cheaper to insure ;)

MK3 Golf TDi estate, my sister bought a good one for £440. You can get 45-50mpg easily. Reliable unitl about 180k miles...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pug (pre Hdi) or VW non turbo. Both can be got cheap and very good MPG and nothing to go wrong.

Paul

X2 on the Mondeo. Even a MkII for that price.
Great car. Drives well. Spacious.

The wifes Skoda superb does around 50mpg on a run and 40-45mpg combined. Its a 54 plate 130. The octavia should bring back much the same. The smaller models would be better still :thumbup:

Ecoman said:
The wifes Skoda superb does around 50mpg on a run and 40-45mpg combined. Its a 54 plate 130. The octavia should bring back much the same. The smaller models would be better still :thumbup:

I think this fails Its a 54 plate 130. on that it's not cheap.
I have a feeling the OP wants to spend some thing less than what a Octavia 54 plate is going for.

I think the OP is looking to spend no more than £1000 at most, and really prefer some thing around £500.
Hence a cheap Mk 1 Mondeo, with the 1800cc lump.
It's not going to win any speed or beauty trails, but it can run on some very cheap crappy restraunt oil, once filtered and mixed 25% with diesel.
75% oil, 25% diesel.

Graham

Graham

Gents you have got the brain ticking over. Going to start looking though fleabay for any local vehicles, however I did watch a film with an old Russian style motorcycle and side car last night so lets hope I get to the car first.

Graham said:
Ecoman said:

I have a feeling the OP wants to spend some thing less than what a Octavia 54 plate is going for.

I think the OP is looking to spend no more than £1000 at most, and really prefer some thing around £500.
It's not going to win any speed or beauty trails, but it can run on some very cheap crappy restraunt oil, once filtered and mixed 25% with diesel.
75% oil, 25% diesel.

Graham

Graham
I never said go for the 54 plate I just mentioned thats what the missus' car is. ;)

I have a neighbour with an older, square style octavia estate (The one that isn't fitted with the commonrail diesel engine) He runs it on 95% WVO that has been crudely filtered and 5% petrol. He has done thousands of miles and its never let him down. He paid £750 for it and it has 120K on the clock. Its now got closer to 200K and still makes me hungry when he drives past the house :lol:

Ecoman said:
Graham said:
Ecoman said:

75% oil, 25% diesel.

Graham

Graham
I never said go for the 54 plate I just mentioned thats what the missus' car is. ;)

I have a neighbour with an older, square style octavia estate (The one that isn't fitted with the commonrail diesel engine) He runs it on 95% WVO that has been crudely filtered and 5% petrol. He has done thousands of miles and its never let him down. He paid £750 for it and it has 120K on the clock. Its now got closer to 200K and still makes me hungry when he drives past the house :lol:
Oh, My mis reading again.

Graham

spackrackman said:
I did watch a film with an old Russian style motorcycle and side car last night so lets hope I get to the car first.
Nah, come on Jonnie, we want to see you with the bike & sidecar ensemble!!! :lol:

This is it!

Attachments

• mobileimage.jpg
    mobileimage.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 127
Ok was wondering how this app was going to post an image and obviously it can't. Well the LC has hung up it's wheels and the new motor is £48 to fill up and gets me 450 miles. I must admit driving a small car again is different but certainly has it's advantages and i am no longer bitter about having to go places as it's not costing me an arm and a leg.

Any of the VAG cars with the old 90 or 110 Tdi, bombproof engines, cheap parts from GSF (you'll be needing em)

I just bought a mint 1998 1.9 Tdi Seat Cordobra in Banana yellow for £600 notes, does 60mpg easy enough & it even managed 71mpg eco driving it on a 200 mile trip the other day. All mods cons too, great little car.

Bosh, 600 quid also. A little drastic

corsa.jpg

Yep the 1.9's are great. Trying to find an Audi quattro estate with the 1.9 tdi for my wife so we can get rid of the cherokee. Not easy to track one down or they have done over 250k

Get one of those other classics out of the barn dude - so what is that blah de blah de blah thing anyway??

Oh, the moments passed...

Back to classics - whatchyah got stuffed in the barn Jonnie??? :cool:

now that would be telling! When I sort out some sort of summer BBQ/Camp then all will be revealed

Back