Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What would you go for right now--2008 4.5L or 2008 4.7L (same purchase price, same mileage)

aeonking

Country Flag
denmark
In my country both of these are for sale on the used market and are priced the same. The market fuel costs are about the same per liter, but of course the 4.5L gets better mileage so the operating fuel cost is lower for the diesel engine.

So then the decision comes down to the maintenance cost and total life of the engine.
The two I am looking at each have about 300.000 KM on them and no rust.

So all else equal, what would you go for if you want to maximize the lifetime of the engine?
It's a fairly even split of city driving and highway driving plus offroading/mudding/hill climbing on a few holiday/hiking trips each year.
What would you go for if you want to have the lowest operating cost over the next 10 years driving 15.000km per year (given what I said above about market fuel costs)?

Traditionally the diesel would be the choice ...... certainly on the older 6 cylinder 1HD FT engine .
However I'm going to break with tradition and say the 4.7 Petrol ....
Reasoning is the modern diesels have so many sensors and emission systems on them they are beginning to be the weaker engine over time ....
In the UK I also fear in 10 years time a diesel engine won't be allowed within 10 miles of a town or city..... not for any sound environmental reason .... just because the anti diesel brigade seem to have the ear of government....

Back