Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ignition timing - 3F-E Efi

Cobus Alberts

Country Flag
south_africa
DSC_0562.JPG
Hi everybody,
I do have this old FJ75 Cruiser Pick Up 'workhorse' that we still use on Drilling and Earthmoving contracts in South Africa and Botswana. The original 3F Carb. Engine was replaced (Broken Crankshaft) with a 3F - E Efi Engine. Unfortunately the original ECU unit and wiring were not available and a Dicktator Management system in conjunction with a 3- coil-pack (Waste twin spark) was fitted instead. The engine's compression on all cylinders is still on average 875 Kpa and oil-pressure's good. Fuel and Ignition 'mapping' is a serious headache and due to that the engine grossly under-perform especially on the open road. Needless to say, the Carb engine outperforms this engine as it is at the moment by far. I am convinced that the ignition and fuel timing settings at 2750 rpm (120km/hr in 5th Gear) are totally wrong. Unfortunately there are not many of these engines around in South Africa and guys doing Dyno tuning have no experience neither settings/specifications available. All that they have to work on is the 7 deg markings on the Fly-wheel at idling speed. Can somebody please assist with timing settings (degree readings on the timing marks) at say every 1000 rpms from 1000 up to 4000 rpms just to give the guys doing the tuning ideas where to set the ECU map-timing at high revs? I will highly appreciate some help with this. Kind regards. C

Welcome along Cobus, nice truck. I doubt you will find much experience of this engine in the UK as its a bit of a rare thing. They might have got it in the US maybe.

Hi cobus

As Andy said they are not very popular here.

Have you tried the LCCSA they are very helpful and can put you in touch with local companies to look at it for you.

Try this mate, might be of some helphttp://useasydocs.com/theory/spktable.htm

Back