Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'm back - it lives!!

Chris said:
Pedal seems hard now with engine off but as soon as it runing I get that creep to the floor with the pedal.

may sound daft but is that not normal on a diesel? My 120 does it and IIRC, my Audi (diesel) did the same.
120's brakes are not brilliant (waiting for bits from Mr Rubie) but Audi's were.

Not to this extent Crispin. Would be rather unnerving at Lincomb facing a big drop with your pedal just heading for the floor. The brakes don't actually stop the car very well either but I think this is linings wearing in.

Really scratching my head on this one. Truth is I don't know how a vacuum booster works. I shall read up on it tomorrow though. As far as the MC is concerned it's simplicity itself. Push the end in and it pushes fluid to the brakes. Doesn't matter what pushes it. Its a piston in a tube. So why doe you get creep? I little is normal yes, but whole pedal in 3 to 4 seconds? I'll see how a new day looks on it.

Chris

Chris, I am not sure that your latest brake symptoms are that abnormal - there are lots of reports from various sources about 80 brakes taking a while to settle in when new pads/fluid/discs have been fitted and it can take a couple of hundred miles before the pedal goes properly hard. Obviously we can't tell whether your symptoms are worse than typical behaviour but it doesn't sound like you have another problem lurking. Maybe keep driving it for a while and see if it improves?

Gone for MOT. Back soon.

C

IT ONLY WENT AND FNURKIN PASSED!!!!

But with an advisory. It needs new number plates! Now that is ironic. Commented on front pads being a bit low, but everything else mechanically sound. Brakes are coming in a bit now, they aren't going to put me through the screen just yet, but they're better. I'll have new pads all round anyway. Now I do have an ABS light fault, but it behaved for the test. Cough. So I'll get onto that next.

But man it drives well. Yes, sorry to say better than GW. I took it 'up to speed' on the bypass and it just flew. Quiet, smooth, perfectly planted. The engine howls when you floor it. Takes off like a scalded guinea pig.

Better get some tax on it then.

Lincomb - we're coming. Guys thanks for all the help, encouragement, advice and general jabber.

It lives!

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Proper job!!! Now it just needs lots and lots of driving, fancy a bit of that Chris?

Enjoy.

From this to this:-
Chris said:
IT ONLY WENT AND FNURKIN PASSED!!!!
in just over a month :thumbup:

You couldn't get any further from each end of the emotion scale.... well done Chris and all the guys that have helped and motivated you :clap: :clap:

And I'm sure a huge thanks must be in order for 'Mrs Chris' for what I can imagine has been a trying time for her too :D :thumbup:

Awsome news :thumbup: :D :clap: Looking forward to Lincomb :)

Brilliant news - well chuffed for you and all the hard work.

"But man it drives well. Yes, sorry to say better than GW. I took it 'up to speed' on the bypass and it just flew. Quiet, smooth, perfectly planted. The engine howls when you floor it. Takes off like a scalded guinea pig."

are you sure its a straight-6 under the and not a V8 or V10 diesel ?

Bonus news - cured that intermittent ABS fault to. Did the diagnostics and it said front drivers abs sensor. Pulled it (I have spares!) and it had a huge blob of CV grease on it. Wiped clean, other side too, replaced. Guess what, not only does it work, but the brakes are twice as good.

Rockin' and rollin'

Of to spend money on road tax now.

Chris

wow - that was quick - realtime updates too

I tried to read those ABS fault codes on colorado once, but gave up couldnt figure the sequence of flashes out - where they started and stopped. a reset sorted it anyway.

And it's now taxed. Here we go....

Chris

Well done Chris, you have been right through teh mincer with the GW and now this one.

Well done on ye lad !

Graham

Back