Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Import headlights

nivapilot

Country Flag
england
Hi All
My 91 import HDJ81, has the inboard pair of the headlight setup as fog lights.
Has anyone? or does anyone know? if I can put a pair of headlight bulbs in them to use as main beams, dip/main beams, or are the reflectors not good enough for headlights?

The wiring for another pair of dip/main bulbs is already in the loom at the right position.

Just wondered, or am I better off putting a pair of driving lamps on with main beam?

Many thanks
Alan

I just took the yellow bits off and have them as white fogs/auxillary lighting. The pattern is such that they won't be much use as driving lights as such and the whole headlight unit adjusts with the same screw (I think).

I went with a pair of KC driving lights on the bumper which improves things no end.

IMG_0680.jpg

The UK spec wiring loom is all there as far as I know, just pull the yellow parts & I think you are good to go with new bulbs as the beam pattern is caused the bulb type....

Mmmm, think taking out the yellow bit then buggers up the bulb holder, seem to remember looking at mine many moons ago, sure there's more info on this if you do a search.

If the UK wiring is all there maybe it's worth considering a set of UK lights from someone like Karl?

I just unscrewed the bulb holder, then I replaced it once I'd taken out the yellow glass, they work fine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The connectors for the headlight bulb are there.
I'll look later and see what bulb it takes.
Cheers

Oddly my UK 80 came with yellow secondary lamps. Not sure they are actually fog lights. I just removed the yellow glass dome from the bulb holder. Dead easy then stuck a standard bulb in. I think some naughty person swapped the motorised UK units with import ones as all the motor wiring is there hanging in the front valance. The lamp was a very odd one that I couldn't find anywhere (someone subsequently did) so I used an H1 / H7 or something which fitted in the same holder. If there is no wiring, I would just slave a live from the main beam to a relay and connect the power cable to the battery for max effect.

Chris

Back