Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inaugural Christmas ELCO Night Special stage road rally

Julian

OK Crispin and I are putting together a bit of fun for Christmas :D
We are going to run a Night Road Rally on the Plain on December 11th, now for people how haven't done one of these before it is mostly about Nav and maintaining an average speed over a distance.
We are going to include a bit of treasure hunt with clues to guide you to the final location where we will have a bit of a get together

Format

You will be given a series of GPS waypoints, giving a route, this route will be of a known distance and the aim of the event is to arrive at the finish at an exact time, the closest to the target time wins.

Each car will be set off at 5minute intervals against the clock

You can use GPS but mapping products are not to be used

At Each waypoint you will find the clue to lead you to the final waypoint

First car will depart at 6.30pm

Night vision goggles are banned :o

Well, I'm up for it :D Should be a bit of fun for the evening...

I'm keen provided I can get my GPS functioning properly :mrgreen: and I'm available that day/night :teasing-whipblue:

I'm out i'm afraid :sick:

Same night as our Christmas do that i've already paid for :x

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ecky Thump said:
I'm out i'm afraid :sick:

Same night as our Christmas do that i've already paid for :x

That's a shame Les, I had my money on you winning :clap:

We need some more info about what gps maps would be usefull, do you need memory maps?

Rob, to clarify we don't want people to use any electronic maps, that would make it to easy!
We will give you all a number of waypoints which will create the route, we will try to publish them in good time so you can have a look at them on a map of your choice, but we don't want people blindly following a line on memory map :naughty:

I might be very interested in this but I need to know if it will involve some serious offroading as i still have the std road tyres.

Warren, you should be fine - it's 99% dirt road, the really sticky bits are usually off the main track. Just make sure you have a spare as the flint does occasionally slice a tyre but this is pretty unlikely.
If possible, organise yourself a CB so you can call for help if you find yourself stuck with no-one around.

Cheers,

TonyP said:
warrenpfo said:
Great :thumbup:

Any particular brand or frequency?

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=8168

4x4cb.com is where a few people have got theirs from. I got mine from a local CB dealer all in for around £100

4x4cb give members a discount. See the clubs discount section for details.

I would be up for this if Crispin doesnt mind be tagging along with him again. Sounds great.

Chris Mann said:
I would be up for this if Crispin doesnt mind be tagging along with him again. Sounds great.

Turns out I won't be here. Work :( (Well, pays for the new shocks ;) )

I'm thinking that something like this will need a driver plus navigator, especially being at night.

Paul
We are trying to make a format that will be doable for a lone driver
It is mostly about Nav, the average speed required is going to be pretty reasonable, don't forget points are deducted for completing too fast
It also looks like there might be a prize for first place, details to follow
J

But who will i blame when i get lost :whistle:

Seeing as this is a timed event on public roads it is classed as a rally, even though there is an average speed restriction. Most peoples insurance will not cover this and you need insurance as you are using public roads. When I have participated in similar rallies the organising club had to buy insurance for third party cover in order to stay legal. This was usually partly funded by the club and by the entrance fee. Also you may need to inform the local police department of this event. As far as I'm aware this insurance can not be purchased on an individual basis.

Will the club be providing adequate insurance for this event and if so what are the costs?

Back