Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inner cv boots

Zeusv8

Hi, anyone replaced their inner cv boots?? Is it a major hassle,total PITA??
Toyota just quoted me 520 quid to do the two inner and 146 to replace my front pads so I told them where to go and sourced the parts for 58 quid!!! All advice greatly appreciated!

Not a major job really, main thing likely to slow you down is splitting the ball joints to get the hub/swivel assembly off so you can pull the shaft and that only really because if it hasn't been worked on recently the split pins are likely to be rusted in place :) You can leave the hub on, just pop the dust cap off the end so you can remove the snap ring off the end of the drive shaft and then the whole swivel/hub assembly comes off as one.

Split pins ya. Might have to be hammered/drilled out. Enough to do one ball joint, can't remember if it matters which. I opened the bottom one, and changed the rubber boot on the ball joint at the same time.
Just a slight whack on the side of the joint have always opened mine.

Ok thanks guys I'll look for a write up and do it myself, not paying those prices! :?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7458

I've always split both ball joints and moved the swivel/hub completely out the way but you should be able to just split the lower joint and push the CV far enough back to get it clear enough to pull the drive shaft out as uHu said.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back