Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inner CV or Complete drive shaft

nathanrobo

Stripped the truck down ready to fit new drop links front and rear, polypro bushes on trailing arms, new front wheel bearings and outer CV's (which have been clicking for a bit - or so I thought).

Anyway turns out that it's one of the inner CVs that is nailed :-( Milner's don't seem to do inners (left a msg for Karl), but if he doesn't have one any ideas where I can buy them from (not Mr Toyo)?

Thanks

Quick update... found it was the O/S inner CV. Milners seemed knowledgeable and supplied the hanging bushes, drop links, outer flanges, bearings and brake discs. Unfortunately they could supply the inner CV or complete driveshafts. So ended up going to Roughtrax, who shipped a full drive shaft for £202.

Old bearings seemed ok as did the discs and the two outer joints plus the n/s inner joint, but the drop links were totally nailed. Not sure about the trailing arms bushes but I'll change everything anyway.

Had a real pain of a time separating the outer C.V. off the shaft. Am I right in saying that they need to be cut off? Other CV's that i've done just hammer off - not these... why is that?

Basically you get a length of scaffolding pipe (longer than the inner shaft), slide the cv and shaft into the pipe so the bell of the cv is resting on top of it and then drop the scaffold pipe onto a hard surface. The weight of the inner axle shaft will pull itself out of the cv. Just make sure to stuff a rag up the other end of the pipe so when the axle shaft falls out it's not damaged.

Basically you get a length of scaffolding pipe (longer than the inner shaft), slide the cv and shaft into the pipe so the bell of the cv is resting on top of it and then drop the scaffold pipe onto a hard surface. The weight of the inner axle shaft will pull itself out of the cv. Just make sure to stuff a rag up the other end of the pipe so when the axle shaft falls out it's not damaged.

Do you need the inner joint off to do this? I went at it before checking for new posts and cut the outer housing and bearing cage off, then simply removed the retaining clip and slide the remaining piece off. Should be all back together by the end of the day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back