Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

intercooler on kzj95 colorado

Paulsven

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all, me again!

If I sourced all the intercooler, throttle body, inlet manifold bits etc from a prado 1kzte, would it bolt straight on to a Colorado 1kzte?

Can't find a retrofit kit anywhere so wondered if this was an option with limited fiddling!

Thanks

I only got the intercooler so can't really help other than to suggest you may have to knock up some kind of bracket to hold the throttle cable in place as mine was attached to the manifold pipe the cooler replaces .

been looking at this thread and a number of others involving tuning and intercooler modifications, mainly lead by Shayne.(almost reaching 'tuning hero status').

is it just me or are there an absolute shit load more of tuning/engine parts on Aussie ebay?!

having a look at the front mounted intercooler kits for the 1kzte for the hilux. wouldnt take too much fettling would it?....anyone..

cheers.

If you got the intercooler off another cruiser, you'll need the intake manifold as well, throttle body and brackets for the throttle cable. I think once you have this you'll be fine. If you can get hold off the ECU as well, it'll make the power gain a little sweeter.

There's more tuning options for these is aussie land because they have more of these trucks there!! If you're good with fabrication you can make your own for a fraction of the cost for a aftermarket kit. I think front mount is better but both top vs front have there pro's and cons.

Not guilty Mallster if it seems i lead the way its because i've asked lots of questions allowing others to show me the way :oops:

The only challenge involved is connecting to the throttle body and once thats on you can run the pipe anywhere you please . If it seems complicated its because your trying to plan ahead . You have a Toyota cooler so why not just fit it were it was intended to go . Once its on you can have a look at the throttle cable bracket and improvise . Don't be put off by the idea fabrication is involved if you can bend a scrap of metal and drill a hole in it then you should find a way to to put the cable guide more or less back where it should be .

i read you loud and clear Beau and Shayne.

i have had a ring round breakers re. Prado Intercooler. reply was "yeah mate, you an everyone else with a collie".

take take it from the ruffians attitude that the said intercooler was a tad in short supply.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think Beau and myself missed the "IF" in your first post Mall and wrongly assumed you had already sourced a cooler . They do find their way onto ebay occasionally i've seen a few but if front mount is your preference and you haven't yet bought parts theres not much in it aggro wise between fitting a Toyota one or fitting an aftermarket job .

Ultimately the cooler begins and ends with some silicone pipe . On the turbo side its simply a case of slipping some pipe on so no worries there . But the throttle side is square so you need something to bolt onto it that will accept a silicone pipe . Once you can fit a pipe both sides you could put the intercooler on the roof if you felt like it .

Here's my square to tube ..... :think: adapter i will call it :|

COOLER002_zps854ef57b.jpg

The above pic might make it look more complicated than it really is so if you can imagine its just a flat flange plate cut to the shape below with a couple of pipes welded to it

COOLER011_zps5fc84fcc.jpg

Just thought an aftermarket cooler would probably need modifying so original sensors could be moved and fitted

thanks for the pics Shayne.

did you take your butterfly out of the throttle body in the end?

how did it run? just out of interest, did you find out what the smaller one did? i take it you only remove the larger one?

i have read it sharpens up throttle response?

cheers

I removed the big one and can't really say what difference it made accept everything feels somehow smoother . I didn't bother with the smaller butterfly assuming it relates to the egr and with my egr blocked its probably better left in place and closed . If someone can confirm the small butterfly is egr related it might be an idea to ignore it while having the "adapter" made so a flat flange plate with a single circular hole , the less turbulence the better i reckon with regards to gas flow .

yeah that would be good to know.....

have you seen on Ozzie ebay ready made EGR blanking plates and turbo flange plates?

bloody genius Sheila.

Nope i refuse to look at ebay oz because i'm sure bankruptcy would shortly follow !

I think the smaller butterfly may be used on start up shayne, kinda like a choke? And on shut down possibly...

There's a guy on ebay I just emailed who has a 1KZT-E OEM intercooler. Pop him a message and work out a deal. I would have snapped it up if I was over there but it's too much for me to arrange from abroad. Plus I'd quite like a front mount instead!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/paul4x481

It won't be there long! Those things are rare and he's willing to part the engine pieces, grab it while you can!

Did you remove the small one Beau ? I didn't have the runaway effect some describe , though i had the intake pipe open and a lump of wood ready to block the air if it did run away . I get your choke idea , personally i thought its purpose was likely to prevent soot build up in the chambers which would happen if exhaust gas was allowed to cool in there . :think: can't remove it without destroying the screws and where would i get replacements if it needed to go back in .

Did you remove the small one Beau ? I didn't have the runaway effect some describe , though i had the intake pipe open and a lump of wood ready to block the air if it did run away . I get your choke idea , personally i thought its purpose was likely to prevent soot build up in the chambers which would happen if exhaust gas was allowed to cool in there . :think: can't remove it without destroying the screws and where would i get replacements if it needed to go back in .

Nope, I haven't removed either intake butterfly pieces. I reckon if you remove one you might as well remove both. I did have some concerns if removing the smaller one would affect air flow though? I mainly didn't remove either as I heard it shuts down rough and would prefer a smooth shut down. However I can see the pros in removing the main one for performance.

Personally I feel the intake isn't well made and air gets shoved down cylinder 3 and 4 the most and can starve 1 and 2. So when I come to building my intercooler I'll weld off the side of the intake so airflow is more distributed inside the manifold. A bit more work and fabrication but it'll maximize gains of airflow and having the intercooler.

With regards to destroying the screw, you could always thread the hole again and find a screw that would work? I kinda doubt removing it will have any negative effect, but I also doubt it'll have any positive effect either?

As the Prado top mount coolers are short in supply would the same bits of a surf (gen3) I think do the job? From what I know it's the same 1kz with the topmount intercooler.

As the Prado top mount coolers are short in supply would the same bits of a surf (gen3) I think do the job? From what I know it's the same 1kz with the topmount intercooler.

Yeah, should be exactly the same.

And maybe that's what i got which would explain why i can't find an LC sensor connection to fit the cooler mounted pressure sensor :think:

Back