Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ipod connection in older 120

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
I have the original radio/cd setup in my 2003 Cruiser. I would like to play my ipod through the system. Has anyone got any ideas/experience of the best way to do this?

does it have socket/option for separate CD autochanger controller?

we had this on the subaru, and got a device that plugs into this socket on back of the radio unit, then plugged the ipod into this with a special cable, it also charges the ipod

Hmmm - thought I'd done a write up on this - maybe it's elsewhere ;)

After a lot of trial and error and almost giving up I fitted a Dension 100 unit with a splitter cable so I keep the CD shuttle and include the iPhone into the loop (for iPod only, not calls)

It works a charm - plays the tunes and keeps the phone charged. The newer Dension 300 is probably loads better.

There's also the Parrot kits which have had mixed reviews.

Let me know if you need me to find the 'how to' guide :)

Cheers

Hutton said:
I have the original radio/cd setup in my 2003 Cruiser. I would like to play my ipod through the system. Has anyone got any ideas/experience of the best way to do this?
Hi Hutton,
I have nothing to add.
However I can see the advantage of keeping the original head, like you want to.

It would be good if there was a simple splitter cable / s available to make it easy.

I don't think yours has the cd shuttle?
Is it just the single cd in the head as a time?

G.

Gary Stockton said:
There's also the Parrot kits which have had mixed reviews. Cheers
I use the Parrot kit which I originally bought just for the hands free function, not knowing at the time that it would control my iPod as well, fast forward, next/previous track, volume, it can show a list of all tracks and artists on the iPod. it has a little screen that will show the number of the person calling (presuming you have them in your mobiles memory) and also displays the track playing and contents of the iPod. A bit expensive but I have found it to be invaluable for listening to my music, I couldn't be without it now. :thumbup:

Graham said:
Is it just the single cd in the head as a time?G.

Yes, I'm afraid so. I've come across a gadget that plugs into the 12v socket and sends a signal to the FM receiver which allows the ipod to be played and recharged. It also gets good reviews. I'll have a look at the Parrot unit as well and probably go for one of the two.

Thanks for the replies chaps. much appreciated.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
Gary Stockton said:
There's also the Parrot kits which have had mixed reviews. Cheers
I use the Parrot kit which I originally bought just for the hands free function, not knowing at the time that it would control my iPod as well, fast forward, next/previous track, volume, it can show a list of all tracks and artists on the iPod. it has a little screen that will show the number of the person calling (presuming you have them in your mobiles memory) and also displays the track playing and contents of the iPod. A bit expensive but I have found it to be invaluable for listening to my music, I couldn't be without it now. :thumbup:

:thumbdown: Worth mentioning that the Parrot does as above, but, because it's using it's own tiny winy internal amp it has limited power output. Refers to the likes of the 9000 series type. Also, older iPods don't work as they (Apple) changed the pin configuration and the Parrot lead is only for the newer ones. You can use the audio only input though through the stereo jack.

Go for Gary's option as Dension seem to have all the bases properly covered. This is one area where Toyo are in the dark ages.... :thumbdown:

Nuclear Chicken said:
:thumbdown: because it's using it's own tiny winy internal amp it has limited power output. :thumbdown:
Ah yes, I had forgotten that it has it's own amp, :oops: when the iPod is playing you can only use the Parrot volume control not the radio, but it's loud enough to drown out my noisy diesel :twisted:

Back