Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is an inverter actually needed???

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
Hi Guys.

I bought an inverter some time ago as a group buy on here. My question is.Does anyone actually use/need one? If so what do you use it for?

As far as I can see the only thing we may need it for is for a hair dryer. (Obviously not for me)

Any feedback would be good thanks as ill sell it if I can't be convinced that it would be useful.

I bought one too Karl and I must admit all I've used it for so far is for the 12v microwave which doesn't run very efficiently on 12v.

Lol Chas. to be honest a microwave isn't top of my (must have) list.

I bought one around 3 years ago from Aldi. I wanted one to run a small freezer in the back of the LC to keep frozen bait frozen on the run up to Scotland on fishing trips but that's all I use it for. It was quite cheap so doesn't really owe me anything but, unless you have a specific need for one, buying a high power expensive model 'just in case' is a waste of money IMO.

Lol Chas. to be honest a microwave isn't top of my (must have) list.

I use it for nearly all my cooking, it's quicker than getting the Colman out and firing it up.

Thanks Towpack I'm thinking the same at the min. TBH looking at the prices they aren't worth a lot anyway on eBay.
It's more the fact I've got that much crap around me I'm just thinking get rid of what isn't used.

My fridge is 12v. Most phones etc are USB charged.

Keep uses coming for what inverters can be used for please guys.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a 300w inverter in mine. Mainly used for charging cordless power tools on the go, but has saved the day a couple of times during power cuts...

I have a 300w inverter in mine. Mainly used for charging cordless power tools on the go, but has saved the day a couple of times during power cuts...

Thanks Bob. Good info there. Never thought of charging power tools etc. could be handy for when I'm building.

Hi Karl, on our trips, we had a fridge and a freezer both running off the inverter, both in the back of the Land Cruiser.
The 600mmx600mmtable top type, never no problem, in thousands of miles.
When we hooked the caravan on the back, I had a 240v lead from the caravan to the inverter, when we were driving, the inverter was keeping the caravan fridge freezer much more colder than the gas could.
On stopping, for a lunch, the microwave, kettle, toaster, etc, was all used via the inverter.
Sold it when we sold the Land Cruiser, and caravan.

Last edited:
I have a 1000w inverter in mine and fine it very usefull for charging my camera and running power tools on ocations when in the middle of nowhere. It's not used loads but would be refitting when I redo my set up. They do seem to use alot of power though.
Stu

I have one installed and it's rarely used. But it's there and takes up no valuable space. The only thing I use it for is my DSLR camera battery for which I don't have a USB charger. Going on the Morocco trip it might come in handy, but I can still charge batteries with an adaptor in the hotel when we stop and I have several batteries too. But if I did a new build (not going to happen) I think I'd miss it off the list

We had a little inverter (can sized one) when we had our van on our first sojourn in Australia. We used it just about every day to charge phones, camera batteries and the laptop. We picked it up in Australia, and took a UK extension board over with us (in fact it's done UK - Aus - UK - Aus now) as all the electricals were UK plugs (which are a lot stronger than an Aussie plug... anyone who's stood on a UK one will know what I mean...)

However, we don't have one this time, and we don't seem to be missing it much... mainly because I forget useful things like the charger for my camera battery... However, if we were travelling for a couple of weeks at a time, like we did in 2010/11/12, then I think we want one again.

Thinking of my trailer i was tempted to say i will have it but having thought about it i have a 3000w inverter on my boat which runs a tea urn , microwave and a heater , the guys more or less live on the boat and have never asked for anything else . Handy to run a drill or grinder now and then when jobs need doing but i can see no advantage over gas for the trailer . Just don't tell Helen who blew mine and Chas's fuse with her 12v hairdryer .

i have two a 300w in the front and a 1000w in the back and i use them all the time

your hair dryer works off my 12v fine

my daughters hairdryer is 240 and cant live without it , but works fine on the back one.

Last edited:
We use one for the toothbrush :oops:. Can't be doing with those manual things :icon-biggrin:

Use ours for charging camera battery, charging laptop, charging cordless drill, razor and my wife uses it everyday to power her nutribullet blender for her breakfast smoothie....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one and it does get used - wife's hair straighteners(!) and charging some stuff there aren't any 12v adapters for. I've also run lighting off it during a power cut. Not an essential bit of kit but useful to have if possible.

Didn't bother with one in the camper conversion Karl - phones, iPad and Tom Tom are all fag lighter or 12V USB, lighting is low draw LED 12v as is my fridge. Got gas for tea/coffee, so not felt the need. Neither the missus nor the kids have ever even mentioned it, so not an issue... Sticking with the KISS approach, its one less thing to worry about.

I had one of the big ones from the forum group by and never used that, having said that I done have a overlander truck.

I did but a smaller 300w one from maplin which is used by the kids anytime we do a long trip to run their ipads etc, so that is useful.

Back