Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is this worth getting ?

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a 2005 LC5 3.0 d-4d that has done 100K miles, 50k of which were in the last 2 years. Its had two owners, the first of which seems to have made an effort to get his ass into toyoya a few times, the second guy who bought it in Feb 2011 - then drove it 50k never did get a service but the dealer claims he knows what he is doing and self-maintained the vehicle and has part-ex'd to a 2012 RangeRover. Ichecked VIN with Toyota and it has had its injector seal recall done ( while still with the first owner ); I've driven it around a bit ( literally 2 miles, on south london roads... not sure if thats really a proper drive ) and it *seems* ok, no crazy sounds, the engine is almost perfectly clear and runs in sync, nothing missing as such.

I'm not so handy with motors - hoping to fix that, gently, with a LC that I hope is going to be rock solid ( am I reading too far into the reputation ? ) and something that I totally intend to have toyota maintain from here on. Is there anything I should be looking for ? Also, the 1 month warranty being offered by the dealer... I suspect thats just insurance backed, is that even worth anything ?

-gOk

thats not much of a test drive.
To be fair, you need to blast it on the motorway for a minute or two, get her up to 110 mph briefly.
Ten, head for a grassy wet field, and try the diff locks, center, and rear

If the previous owner knew what he is doing, why is he buying a 2012 Range Rover......

100k on a 2005 isnt a worry, but it should have had oil changes - check and see if it has a Toyota oil filter fitted, if so I reckon its been there for 50k miles.

How much?

Pete

- check and see if it has a Toyota oil filter fitted, if so I reckon its been there for 50k miles.

Pete

I use Toyota oil filters! the owner may have done too - does he have any receipts for the service items?

thats not much of a test drive.
To be fair, you need to blast it on the motorway for a minute or two, get her up to 110 mph briefly.
Ten, head for a grassy wet field, and try the diff locks, center, and rear

I'm going to try and get the dealer to bring the LC out of the city for a bit and see how things stack up - the hole in service history is still something that is knocking at the back of my head.

Also - n00by alert - what / how do i test for diff locks center and rear - I am under the impression that its either all ON or OFF. didnt realise it was possible to lock only the front or rear ( ie. I've seen the button, I've pushed the button, the VSC light comes on, and the diff lock light comes on ).

If the previous owner knew what he is doing, why is he buying a 2012 Range Rover......

100k on a 2005 isnt a worry, but it should have had oil changes - check and see if it has a Toyota oil filter fitted, if so I reckon its been there for 50k miles.

Excellent point, will look at that.

How much?

Pete

He's asking for £16k - but I *feel* he's going to be keen at £15 ( and seems to be making a play for £15 )

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use Toyota oil filters! the owner may have done too - does he have any receipts for the service items?

Thats part of the 'thing' - since Feb 2011, there are no receipts / service book entries.

As a matter of interest, how often should the oil have been changed ( and filters ) - also, what kind of costs does one expect at a toyota service ?

the LC5 doesn't have a rear difflock - just a centre difflock, only the LC3 has a rear one as well

not sure about 120 service interval - oil and filters every 10k miles?
(for the older 90series it is about every 6k miles)

10k intervals on the D-4D

I know if one LC5 with a factory locking rear diff - mine :lol: the ATRAC is pretty good though.

hi Guys,

I had the chance to spend a bit of time yesterday with the LC5, ran into a couple of issues and opted out of buying this.The biggest issue was that the vehicle did not switch out of the Lo gear's into High at all. Dont know what the underlaying problem is - but the guy has been driving it like this for a few thousand miles on highways..... Time to start looking further, appreciate the feedback here.

Wise move to walk away. There should be loads of good ones to choose from

That's a bummer. How could he be driving it like that though? Top speed on my 120 was 35mph which was in 5th and the rev limiter holding it back. Must have cost a fortune in fuel. :lol:
Could it be that the leaver was in the wrong place and it was not in low? I knew a guy with a 120 who had the gearbox out for something. When they put it back in they forgot to reconnect the transfer case lever and it seemed to be stuck in low. Would not move into high but the 'box was actually in high. If this was the same then it suggests the gearbox was also removed at some point...

If you're not happy then it is best to walk :(

Found another one, liked it, deposit down. Going to pick it up this Thursday! woo...

For what it's worth, having had Disco's for years I bought the wife a 120 LC4 last year and have never looked back. We've used it for several 2,000 mile trips to the south of France as well as all the usual local country driving bit and apart from leaking tyre valves (yes it does appear that was the problem) it hasn't missed a beat. Good luck with your new purchase, and enjoy!

get her up to 110 mph briefly.

Jesus Graham, are you for real? For a start I can't see a 120 making 110 mph, secondly that's absurdly dangerous and thirdly who is going to let someone drive anything like that on a test drive?

Jesus Graham, are you for real? For a start I can't see a 120 making 110 mph, secondly that's absurdly dangerous and thirdly who is going to let someone drive anything like that on a test drive?

My black one pulled like a train to 100mph on the private road but then there was, er, traffic. On my private road.

Even my 24v 80 on private road testing has hit an indicated 116mph.

Even my 24v 80 on private road testing has hit an indicated 116mph.

So, I can confirm that this 120 gets to 90 fairly easily. On the other hand, things dont really feel as 'together' at 90 as they do in say a full body Civic doing 90 - not that I was uncomfortable, its just that I'm not used to this much of metal under me going at this rate ( yet! ).

Private or dealer? If dealer, which one?

Dealer, Imperials of romford.

Back