Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

So, what's next iwan?

After removing most of the wrap, I've prepped the rust to the sills and stone chipped them.. went well. Then concentrated on fitting it all back together and running again.

20150317_142931.jpg
I have made some "custom" front and rear antiroll bar links the link on the right is mercedes sprinter rear arb link which I had a pair laying around and the left is ford mondeo arb links! Works a treat with a bit of weld.:icon-biggrin:
20150324_161227.jpg
Gets it back at the right angle. Have been off roading just locally and dont ask why the whole of the under side has sheeps wool hanging from it, am really confused :shock:!:lol:
20150322_171530.jpg
Real odd:think: never seen that before
Hi Iwan looking good a big :thumbup: from Tony.

Cheers Tony these older 80's take a bit of effort to get back on the road. Just got the hand brake to adjust. Fog light to mount and a number plate light to change.
20150324_161127.jpg
Going to take off the 30mm rear spring spacers should bring it a bit more level ..
20150324_161159.jpg

Quite pleased with the front bumper and looking a bit better with some mud on it!!:thumbup:

The nose looks good on it Iwan!

You just need to fit some bigger tires, that way you'll drive over a sheep instead of dragging it.. :icon-wink:

The nose looks good on it Iwan!

You just need to fit some bigger tires, that way you'll drive over a sheep instead of dragging it.. :icon-wink:

Cheers mate! The bumper is very "keep it simple! " will have to call that lane "woolly lane!" From now on! :think::think::thumbup:

The 81 flew straight through the mot today. . Have been flat out with work recently and just completed a big section of the restoration job I'm on. So finally got to this!

The insurance is up on my trusty red 70 on Tuesday and it needs the front axle rebuilding and a break from the hard graft its been doing for the last couple of years!

Well happy to get the 81 in order :icon-biggrin::thumbup: roll on the miles!

Cruiser world outing

Been a great week already! My good friends from Holland have come to visit for the week. Quite good timing for Lincolm and the first day they arrived was the day the insurance ran out on my 70.
20150422_104901.jpg
We went to a local forrest nearby and found what turned out to be a VERY challenging clear felled patch!
20150422_102153.jpg
Nice shot!
20150422_102255.jpg
Hell of a steep rocky hill!!
20150422_105105.jpg
Got too dark lastnight to get this puppy out. Had a hell of a winching session to get the hj61, lj70 red and the nissan. Went back first thing with 2 winch trucks to get the blue lj70 out this morning.. Then!!
20150422_173839.jpg
Unleashed the 81.. Was great to off road it. Quite a comparison to the red 70 yesterday and this morning..
20150422_175713.jpg
Laurence from Cruiserworld kindly brought me over 4 x 35"x12.5" on 15" rims. Looking more the part now.
20150422_173907.jpg
The 5" lift gives it good flex and the ride is very sound. Not eratic like the ironman lift on the red 70. Hell of a different machine!
20150422_174219.jpg
Like it very much!
20150422_180108.jpg
Went to what was the pheasant steps and some f***er has destroyed the fun. :angry-screaming::icon-sad::thumbdown: Well unhappy as that was a hell of a track with upto 1.2metre rock steps..

Appart from that having a great time.. We're off the the Dovey forrest tomorow. If I get time I'll add some pics!!

Cheers all:icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great to see the 80 doing what it does best Iwan :thumbup:

80s are ace, now you really know what all the fuss is about, :dance:

Hey thanks Clive. . Yes it has certainly shown itself as a hell of a beast to offroad :thumbup:

Havent the time to post the few pics I took.. we went to Lincolm great to see the people and to test the 81 more. But its incurred a bit of damage as the front passenger wheel hit a big rutted hole and the adjustable panard rod took the brunt of the impact. Completely bent! Not as strong as the factory rod. We adjusted it to bring the front axle back in line.

Had a real scary drive home last night. Its got serious death wobble on right hand bends. Basically shitting my self so a 30mph drive.

So I'm just about to fit the factory rod.. but looking at the top panard mount. . There's a rusty old crack fracture between the panard mount and the steering box.

1430045430417.jpg
Just about to take the steering box off and see the extent of the fracture. .

Might be a place to check out on your 80!

I will take a look.

My steering box has been off the truck 3 times in 7 years, the last time was almost 2 years ago.

I had the service check out the chassis then, and they reported it OK.

It would be better to check though...

Be very careful with cracks in that location...

Both sides totally cracked on mine... Just welding the crack is NOT sufficient enough!

DSC_0389.JPG

This reinforcement was approved by Toyota Belgium :)

Extra U plate on the inside and the outside of the frame

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Sand blasted, mettalised and powder coated:

DSC_0054.jpg

And now I will stop with spoiling this topic with pictures of my land cruiser :icon-biggrin:

That must have been a rare seeing: you driving at only 30mph Iwan :icon-wink:.
We've enjoyed being over once again!

@ Geert: That's a real proper job on the extra C-sections!!

Sorry for the late relpy guy's! It looks like the 80 owners do need to keep an eye out for chassis cracks by the steering box. Yours seems to have got it bad there Geert. I took the steering box off mine last Sunday and the crack in the pic above was the only one. I am going to keep an eye out on that area from now on. I did just grind the crack open and did a high amp setting on the welder to fill it up.

You've done a cracking repair there Geert! (excuse the pun!):lol:
20150426_131349.jpg
The soft TJM panard rod is showing its war wound there. Am thinking of getting another factory bar and threading it then reusing the adjustable rod end of the TJM as my axle is held over to the drivers side.:think:

20150424_145620.jpg
Took him to the beach!

Was a pleasure to have you Guy's come over again Jente, always a good laugh mate!:thumbup:
20150423_154757.jpg
Only took a few pic's so thought I'd add them..
20150423_121113.jpg
We found a few good rocky tracks or fire lanes at the Dovey forest. They take a bit of finding!
20150423_131817.jpg
20150423_133108.jpg
61, 70, 81 and ....:text-imsorry:
20150423_170831.jpg

20150423_172903.jpg
A nice track over the mountain..
20150423_174200.jpg
Was a good time.. too busy for pic taking enjoying the 81 too much for that!:thumbup:

Next job is to sort the tow bar out as its a bit high for the twin axle trailer, the front wheels are currently off the ground.. ok for small loads but needs addressing before full loads.

More to come!:thumbup:

nice landscape! Palm trees... is that in the UK??

Hi Geert.. sorry for the late response. Yes it's on the north west coast of Wales. Its at a place called Barmouth. On the edge of the Snowdonian national park. All the best mate! :thumbup:

81 to the rescue to sort the situation out!

Been doing some work at home and needed to go off to get some pipe fittings locally.
Left my good mate to carry on with the mini digger. . Thought its a good plan! Got home to this!!
View attachment 19326

:lol::lol:
20150520_152300.jpg
Oh shit!!
View attachment 19328
Only one big engine on site left.. Hooked up the 81 its got weight to pull weight.
20150520_153100.jpg
Low box in drive.. slight wheel spin.. pure torque low revs!

It's doing its job well! Happy with it but looking to convert it to a manual. Had the auto box overheating light on this morning with the ivor williams and mini digger(was very steep hill). The teleporter recovery put it back into my good books!

Last edited:
Do you have an oil cooler for the auto box? Sometimes the oil lines of the auto box are just going into the radiator at the bottom and back out, without an extra cooler. When towing, you really need an extra cooler. It was a factory option, but not in every country. With the extra cooler, no problems of overheating auto box

Good point there Geert.. I have considered to fit an extra cooler behind the front grill. With the thought I have with doing a manual conversion is that where I live is very hilly. So the fuel consumption is much poorer as on hills it doesn't seen to lock up and pull. I know for sure that if it was manual it would be much further up the hill/road and using the torque to better use. Also with going down hill towing heavy loads I miss the engine braking.

The auto box is working fine and must say on the flat and on a long run its a joy to drive.

So a manual conversion is on the cards...:thumbup:

Well where did that hour plus go, had a good old read Iwan, great work work there and loads of interesting stuff. You live in a nice area by the looks of some of those later pic's. :thumbup:

Well where did that hour plus go, had a good old read Iwan, great work work there and loads of interesting stuff. You live in a nice area by the looks of some of those later pic's. :thumbup:

Thanks Chris. . When I looked at your 80 rebuild I knew the extent of work that it takes to bring these big trucks back. I much prefer to do a body off restoration as you have done but the 81 didn't quite warrant it fortunately. The only regret with the underside restoration on this is that I couldn't clean up and shultz the top of the chassis. But happy that the truck only has 2 very small patches of rust now. Mission was well worthwhile.

There's a good chilled life in mid wales. Life is good with a hand full of cruisers!! All the best mate :thumbup:

Hi IWAN THANKS FOR THE PICS IT IS LOOKING SO GOOD THAT IS ONE TOP JOB ON THE 80 MINI DIGGER HAVEING A LI DOWN IT IS ABIG:thumbup::laughing-rolling:FROM TONY

Back