Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's hdj81

Have had a great time taking the 81 on a 10 day break trying out the Cumbrian lanes and mountain tracks... Some very remote and extreme!
20150731_081550.jpg
It was a last minute decision to take the 81, so the morning before leaving I bought a 8' x 4' sheet of ply and 2 lengths of 8"x2" softwood! Removed the back seats and 2 hrs later have doubled the space in the back.
20150731_175219.jpg
Came across some very narrow gates, small bridges that you can just get over scrubbing the tyres on both sides!

20150731_155916.jpg

20150731_092942.jpg
Great small road and you can just see it going up the far side of the pic
20150730_194250.jpg
Nice rock to test the flexing!
20150731_193859.jpg

20150731_193001.jpg
Pic's never show just how steep the tracks are..
20150731_192032.jpg

20150731_193702.jpg
Very nice rock climb..
20150731_193204.jpg
The 81 is just made for these conditions. It just lapps it up, no need to take a run or go fast at it. Auto is good and smooth!

I have to go out to pay for this kzj71 I've just bought.. will add more when I return..:thumbup:

20150731_081550.jpg 20150730_194250.jpg 20150731_092942.jpg 20150731_155916.jpg 20150731_175219.jpg 20150731_192032.jpg 20150731_193001.jpg 20150731_193204.jpg 20150731_193702.jpg 20150731_193859.jpg

The 81 is just made for these conditions. It just lapps it up, no need to take a run or go fast at it. Auto is good and smooth! I have to go out to pay for this kzj71 I've just bought.. will add more when I return..:thumbup:

Great photos Iwan, love those tracks.

Yep, 80's just beg you to "bring it on" nothing seems to phase them. The more the merrier, and in comfort!

Great pics Iwan. :thumbup:

Brings back lots of great memories, the lanes up there are awesome! :icon-biggrin:

Great photos Iwan, love those tracks.

Yep, 80's just beg you to "bring it on" nothing seems to phase them. The more the merrier, and in comfort!

Thanks Clive. . Its a great old machine. .. I am very pleased with it, especially when off on a long run out. It justifies driving a big truck as this is. :icon-cool:

Great pics Iwan. :thumbup:

Brings back lots of great memories, the lanes up there are awesome! :icon-biggrin:

It sure is a great area Cumbria. Makes for a good testing ground!

I've had a busy time recently and haven't got back to adding more pics of the trip!

20150731_193158.jpg

I just love the rocky terrain and mountain drives.

20150801_112417.jpg

20150731_192433.jpg
Coniston water I believe.
20150803_111702.jpg

Nice scenery as you head to the horizon :icon-cool:

20150803_112347.jpg
This is an old coach road that if I recall is about 8 to 9 miles long.
20150803_112353.jpg

20150802_170610.jpg
And another one!
20150804_123250.jpg

20150804_123215.jpg
One day we spent some time going to "Crow crag!" where the film Withnail and I was set. It's been quite well restored now.

A few of the days were a bit damp, infact very wet and the wild camping was a bit of a struggle as hotel 81 provided a dry nights sleep but cooking on the lower tailgate was a tad bit .... draughty and wet!:lol:

I have a few more pics to post but out of time at the moment!

Oh yes the Kzj71 has turned out to be a real nice truck! :thumbup:

20150731_193158.jpg 20150801_112417.jpg 20150731_192433.jpg 20150802_170610.jpg 20150803_112353.jpg 20150803_112347.jpg 20150803_111702.jpg 20150804_123250.jpg 20150804_123215.jpg

Great pics. :thumbup:

A rear awning would help keep you dry when cooking, mine is 1200mm wide and comes out 2meters and was fitted for just that purpose. :think:

Whats the plan with the 71? :icon-cool:

Great pics. :thumbup:

A rear awning would help keep you dry when cooking, mine is 1200mm wide and comes out 2meters and was fitted for just that purpose. :think:

Whats the plan with the 71? :icon-cool:

Cheers mate! With the wind blowing hard and the rain soaking the bed! Lol, I was thinking this approach to mount an awning possibly on a single roof rack rail to save having a full on rack on the truck..

Yes the kzj71 has been a bit of a shock aquirment. Its a 93 import of course with a very unusual interior.
20150812_183718.jpg
Well different. .has parts from the 80 series init. Haven't ever seen anything like that on a 70.
20150812_183620.jpg
Been well looked after with regular services etc. Makes a change to see the 1kzt fitted from factory for a 70 lol.
20150812_183641.jpg
It was imported in 1999 so has had a few years of British winters. ..so a couple of rust issues. .

Plans at the moment are .. full under body treatment. .. Looks a bit low so new suspension. .. be nice to have some bigger tyres! Want to do an egr delete and free up the inlet manifold. Tweek the fuel and tune it a bit. . Side exit exhaust. ... Aint life good!:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to see the lakes pics and that Parkamoor trail above coniston. Scared myself last year taking my 7-8 month old Hilux up that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good Iwan, nice find. :thumbup:

I've only ever seen one other 70 with that dash. I think it was only certain Japanese models that got it. :think:

Cant wait till I buy some land and can start my own cruiser collection. :lol: :icon-cool:

Been a while!

Been a while since I've added to this thread! The 81 has lived with the trailer attached for most of the time! Infact it's worked very hard and it has become the most valued member of the fleet!:icon-biggrin:
20151120_095808.jpg
The set of yokohama geolanders were very difficult to balance and were contributing to the wheel wobble that it had, so they were sold and I bought a set of Cooper discoverer stt's 315/75R16 on new -35 offset 16" modular wheels. Much happier with these.

20160221_134320.jpg
Last Sunday fitted my set of 4" auto drop boxes to cure the castor issues that have plaigued the ride on it. I spent 5 hours to fit at a steady Sunday pace! If you buy them take care as on the first side you have to push the axle forward when its on an axle stand. The pic above is a good example to show the angle change of the trailing arm.

20160221_145307.jpg
Happy to have this system as earlier on in the thread I was wanting to take this approach to correct the castor..

IMG-20160205-WA0016.jpeg
I bought this partially broken BJ74 last November and am really looking forward to make a solid job of it! Thinking of going 1hz and h55f or even a 1hdt! Funds are not allowing it at the moment so am planning to either fit my B engine or a 1kzt with lj70 gearbox just to get it running around.. will see how that pans out. The chassis has no rust and with 9" diffs front and back with nice heavy leaf springs... it will be a great workhorse!

20160223_095806.jpg

After fitting the drop boxes I had a look on gumtree and found this TJM T15 delux winch bumper with ARB spotlights and a 9500lb superwinch! So couldn't resist and drove from Wales to Essex yesterday and back! Fitted the bumper combo with the seller! He then asked if I wanted to sell the 81 with the bumper.... sorry mate.. it's not for sale!

Really pleased with the transformation... looking good to me! :thumbup:

Looks good to me too Iwan :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to getting a pair of those drop boxes on my truck. I'm convinced the steering's way too sensitive, too light. Asphalt ruts pull the truck all over the place, and one wheel going through a deep puddle snatches it over.

I've convinced myself the caster correction bushes aren't giving anywhere near enough axle rotation.

Looks a bit mad max mate which can only be a good thing :thumbup: next up rock sliders with over arch bars maybe ?

Looks good to me too Iwan :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to getting a pair of those drop boxes on my truck. I'm convinced the steering's way too sensitive, too light. Asphalt ruts pull the truck all over the place, and one wheel going through a deep puddle snatches it over.

I've convinced myself the caster correction bushes aren't giving anywhere near enough axle rotation.

Thanks Clive!! They are the way forward, I like how they have pushed the front axle forwards by about 20mm and recover the more standard trailing arm angle. So when braking theres a straighter line to the chassis. The correction methods "on axle" seem too limited after 3" lift..

Oh yes did you want a rear load roll out cover? I have one here if you can't find one somewhere else..:thumbup:

Looks a bit mad max mate which can only be a good thing :thumbup: next up rock sliders with over arch bars maybe ?

Cheers Mate!!! I had a look at a pic of when I got it home just before! To be honest I wouldn't drive it if it was standard!! Lol

20141101_105721.jpg

What a transformation!

I'm thinking of a rear bumper and wheel carrier next for it.. Gotta get the spare out of the boot!:think:

Thanks Clive!! They are the way forward, I like how they have pushed the front axle forwards by about 20mm and recover the more standard trailing arm angle. So when braking theres a straighter line to the chassis. The correction methods "on axle" seem too limited after 3" lift..

Oh yes did you want a rear load roll out cover? I have one here if you can't find one somewhere else..:thumbup:

Amost missed this Iwan, I do like the idea, save me being embarrassed about how untidy the back of the truck gets :lol:

Drop me a pm with a price and maybe we can do a mid Wales detour on our early May trip to the UK. The roller blind will go on a plane ok, I guess, with some string tied round it :lol:

Cheers :thumbup:

After fitting the drop boxes I had a look on gumtree and found this TJM T15 delux winch bumper with ARB spotlights and a 9500lb superwinch! So couldn't resist and drove from Wales to Essex yesterday and back! Fitted the bumper combo with the seller! He then asked if I wanted to sell the 81 with the bumper.... sorry mate.. it's not for sale!

Lucky finding something like that after just a quick look on gumtree! Looking great.

View attachment 24635

Same winch bumper as mine, they do look good I think, and they are very strong, ask a certain Toyo dealer in Bristol about his workshop wall :oops:

Great lakes pics, done a bit of mountain biking there but not familiar with the area really. Have you got a copy of the route you did? No problems with the camping or walkers waving there sticks at you?

I would like a copy of the route or it's location please if possible.

Clive we could meet up if you are in UK. With regard to your steering "wander" you might be able to improve it by increasing the amount of toe in especially if your tyres are NOT slightly scrubbed on their outsides. I would try just tuning the tie rod 1/2 turn toe in and see if it improves. Works for me but my car is standard set up.

I would like a copy of the route or it's location please if possible.

Clive we could meet up if you are in UK. With regard to your steering "wander" you might be able to improve it by increasing the amount of toe in especially if your tyres are NOT slightly scrubbed on their outsides. I would try just tuning the tie rod 1/2 turn toe in and see if it improves. Works for me but my car is standard set up.

Hey Frank, it would be good to have a cuppa, pity we won't be in the truck!

I'm normally bouncing a bit visiting between Acocks Green (Brum) and Ratley (Oxon), but a wiz out to Stourbridge isn't so far.

If the opportunity arises can you PM your phone number and address so I can give you a bell.

Good thinking on the toe-in comment. I do want these droppers, then I thought I'd get a full print-out done. That way, some fine tuning can be done on a better basis. I might find the tracking is way off, even though it hasn't been adjusted since the last print out, which was spot on 1/2 degree toe in as I'm told is recommended. :thumbup:

I've always done my tracking myself and have noticed with my 80 that the steering tends to slightly snap from one direction or the other if the wheels are parallel or just toeing out a bit when trying to drive in a straight line lol. Just a bit of uneven camber would set it off.

I've always done my tracking myself and have noticed with my 80 that the steering tends to slightly snap from one direction or the other if the wheels are parallel or just toeing out a bit when trying to drive in a straight line lol. Just a bit of uneven camber would set it off.

A good few months back 8 or 9. Maybe more!. I set the tracking dead parallel with 3m steel straight edges off each front wheels. And level across the centre of the hubs.. big wheels and uneven camber does make an instant of uneasiness of feedback through the steering for sure. :think:

So Frank a degree of toe in would help as you say?... went to have the tracking checked and the guy said and I looked it was bang on parallel. You mentioned that 1/2 a turn/180 degrees on the rear tie bar would provide the toe in necessary?

Thanks for that info mate :thumbup:

Back