Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Juddering from around 30 mph

stevoyorke

I received some juddering from engine and drive after I went thru some puddles and wonder where the weak spots are on the electrics to try and cure it, it did cure by itself after five mins. This was over x mas, then yesterday just driving along wet roads, stopped the car for a minute then off I went again, the judder came back when I was doing 50 mph, slowing the car down, stopped it and started it again, when I reached 35 mph the judder started to creep back again, while driving I put the auto into neutral and turned off the engine to see if it would go away. It was still there, no different so it's making me confused as I had thought it would be the engine! Any suggestions, I am getting the feeling it's driveline, vicious coupling? Auto box getting wet affecting ecu temp reading influencing function??
again after five mins it seems to sort itself out and carried on my journey over snow with no further problems.
any suggestions??

Does application of the brakes have any effect?
When was the last time you checked/greased your UJ's? ..wheel bearings?

I gave the uj and wheel bearings a total re grease in the summer as I had all the swivel joint and wheel bearings replaced with koyo ones. It only occurred the two recent occasions mentioned, both in wet conditions. I ve not thought of trying the brakes when it happens... When I was on the side on the road parked up, revving the engine was fine, could possibly be brake juddering catching but I can't see how can that be from the discs, but thinking of the hand brake drum shoes? Mmm those were replaced 2 yrs ago, might be a possibility! I wish I had a garage to work in to check it over out of this weather!! Heh

The judder rises with speed, most noticeable from 30 mph. If it was UJ the the judder would always be there??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
fiddle with the handbrake when it's doing it, if the shoes are dragging it can cause juddering. UJ vibration tends to be higher frequency, more of a vibration than judder and can come and go at different speeds and usually changes if you power on, coasting, engine braking.

Thanks for the Jon, seems no trouble at the moment, am waiting for fair weather to get to the hand brake shoes to check them out. Cheers

Finally had a bit sunshine this morning on an otherwise wet ground to strip down both rear brakes and get a good look, found the nearside handbrake shoe lever arm was so stiff from the built up of mud behind the rubber boot which now has been lubricated and freed up, gave the brakes a good clean up, new pads so that juddering should be sorted now as the braking actions are working smoothly after all that. Thanks for all u inputs.

Back