Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just bought my first 80 series

Thanks again for the advice. What do you guys think about the aftermarket parts available for LC, I own a defender as well and most of the aftermarket parts available for them are crap (not that genuine are much better). I have been looking at milners for parts like the cv joint hub seals and such things.

Andy

Hi Andy I've had a front axle rebuild on both my cruisers and I've had my hub seal kit from Terrain Tamers (Roughtrax) it comes as a full kit with bearings and the lot. I've also replaced the CV's which I sourced from Toyota South Africa as the late model CVs are about £700 from Toyota UK. with the late CVs you can use the bigger and stronger flange. But in terms of suppliers Milner is alright for brake parts and bits a pieces.

I think it was Iwan, Dave. Here, post #21. But not much info...

That's right Clive. . Had to go back over the thread... post 21. When supplied with a new genuine kick down cable, the crimped stopper isn't fitted to the cable. I recall that the cable is fitted and adjusted so it just takes up the tension on the pulley wheel inside the auto sump. Then to crimp the cable stopper 3 to 5mm away from the cable outer stop (red rubber cover) by the diesel pump link area..

When new and set up this is effective but after years of being tugged.. the cable stretches and keeping the right tension is a different matter.

May be worth dropping the atf oil out of the box too.. as always you never know how long its been since it was last changed. If its real dirty or grey ... fill and drive for a 100 miles then drop it out again and refill. ... or of course take the pan off and and change the atf filter...

You've found a resl nice looking 80 there... all the very best with it :thumbup:

When I get it home it will be getting all the fluids and filters changed then I will start investigating the problems.

I would have 'suffered' a petrol version if I had found one in that condition/colour.

regards

Dave

Back