Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just bought my first 80 series

Andy200

Country Flag
uk
Right just paid my deposit on a 1993 diesel LC. It does however have a few issue's most of which should be easy to sort out if a little expensive :wtf:.
1 O/S front window doesn't work, hopefully just the motor on the regulator as you can't hear anything in the door.
2 Axle diff locks don't work probably needs actuators.
3 The kick down on the gearbox is very aggressive and harsh. ??
4 There is a strange clunking coming from i think the front N/S when turning but only when it is in low box, it seems fine in high box so that is throwing me a bit as i was thinking CV joint.??

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-27%20at%2017.07.17.png

Any help muchly appreciated

Andy

Last edited:
1, could also be the switch which I think can be cleaned but possibly needs a motor. It will almost certainly need window rubbers as these make the windows unusable.

2, you might if you're really lucky get away with refurbishing them but they could be scrap.

3, there is an adjustment on a quadrant above the injection pump, someone might have played with it
4, could possibly be front prop front UJ but could also mean a front axle rebuild.

Possibilities, of course not guarantees.

One word, www.amayama.com for genuine Toyota parts.

Hope you got a good deal and if it's got good bodywork and chassis then everything else is replaceable (if a little pricey at times).

Hope you love it, bet you will.

Best wishes and good luck with it.

Richard

Last edited:
As above.

Number 4 will be a cv. When you put it into low box it will engage the centre diff lock. You need a CDL switch for it. That means yo can use low box without CDL being in. Also if driving in the snow you can use CDL in high range.

I can get various new parts if needed. Lockers are worth tryin to free up but new is the best way. They aren't cheap though.

Yes, Edit the above, contact Karl first, otherwise Amayama. [emoji4][emoji6]

Thank's guy's. As far as i know the guy tried the window switch on another LC and it worked on that so either broken wire or motor i think. I have been looking at the CDL switches they seem to be plentiful in the US but a bit rare and a lot more expensive over here. Lucky for me i'm going in a few weeks so may have to have them delivered to my friends house.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Best thing would be to take the door card off and put 12 v to the motor plug. That will tell you if motors working.if the guy was honest and has eliminated the switch then all good.

I have a 12v new switch if you need one.

Last edited:
Cheers Karl i will. i'll be hard at it at the weekend doing jobs on it just can't wait till thursday to collect it now.

We want pics Andy, hopefully you got a good price

As soon as I get it home I'll get some pics up. As for the price after looking and trying to buy one for a month or so I thought I did ok yes it has a few more issues than I would have liked but the lack of rust was a big seller to me. I paid £3400 for it and I have looked at a lot worse cars for a lot more money.

Welcome to the forum Andy, you'll love the 80 whatever state its in. Remember, as you do jobs, it will only get even better. :icon-biggrin:

Good advice from Karl on the CDL dash switch, if you don't already have one. Using low without diff lock is great on grass and light mud conditions, especially when climbing, and the dash switch will always be there in case of necessity.

I think the answer to that is in the title of the thread Clive :laughing-rolling:
Very true. No I just have the one, I had given up looking for a diesel one as I just couldn't find the right one for me so I started looking at the petrol ones then this one popped up so I went and looked and bought it.

I think the answer to that is in the title of the thread Clive :laughing-rolling:

Well, I'm the first to admit to being on the slippery slope to senility, Andy (L) :lol:

But I had the impression that Andy (OP) had bought a petrol 80, just checking really... :?

It's hard to keep up for us old 'uns sometimes...:character-oldtimer:

Great looking car and in my favourite colour...damn! I am not sure but check with Karl, from a testing point of view IIRC the opposite side rear door motor assembly is the same? You could fit that into the front and wedge the rear window and just fit a the replacement in the rear when it arrives.

Diff locks often need 'exercising' find some very loose surface and try figures of eight activating and deactivating but, NOT before you sort the CV, otherwise something might go bang.

Kick down could be incorrect cable adjustment as mentioned on the quadrant, IIRC it might have been Jon Wildsmith on here that posted something about replacing/adjusting?

Regards

Dave

Kick down could be incorrect cable adjustment as mentioned on the quadrant, IIRC it might have been Jon Wildsmith on here that posted something about replacing/adjusting? Regards Dave

I think it was Iwan, Dave. Here, post #21. But not much info...

Just thinking on this kickdown, mine rarely clunks the gearbox as it changes on deceleration (I think).

Back