Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just how alike are the 4Runner and the collie

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
I ask because I have found some quite interesting stuff over in the states but its alot of money and a big risk if it doesn't fit.

Ok maybe a little more explaination is in order...I only hesitate because I know that at some point in this thread Chris is going to enter stage left and tell me off again for looking at ways to lift the front suspension more than 2 inches. :lol::lol:

Any who I have been looking at some lift kits or rather drop kits or maybe both. They look very impressive and seem to contain most of the things we have talked about needing in the past.

1 is very very expensive but It claims to give 4 inches of lift at the front and a massive 13 inches of travel. The cost for this marvel I hear you ask...well it will come out in the region of £2.5K. A hell of alot of cash to spend I know but I would appreciate it if you all could refrain from the usual "Why not buy an 80" there are several reason which I will explain if asked.

The second is far cheeper coming in at less than £500 including new front and rear shocks and rear springs It claims to give 4"front and 3"rear lift. It is made by trail master whom I have used before on my brothers vitara and found them to be very good.

Now both of these kits are designed for the 4runner but the first one states that it will also fit the 90series prado. So I all I am asking really is are they really that much alike underneeth????

I think 'it depends' on the year model. I know on TLC120 forum the 4runners are all based on the 120 platform Ito chassis and suspension, but don't know when that started - maybe 2000-ish in the USA?

Interesting.

How much lift would you be happy with?

Gra.

Hello Chris!! Mmm yes!! That kit will fit on Land Cruiser Prados 90/95. They claim in that link: Also fits 1996-2002 Prado 90. But there are another things you have to buy: - TC modified Tundra axles and cv's are required to be installed to retain 4wd. - Widest Flares because the track width on front increase 7". - Front coilovers because a I think they are not included in that kit. - I don't remember right now if there are more parts to buy besides the kit. That kit will fit nicely but is too expensive and should not be to good for DD or expedition rig. Check this link. They have awesome things and serves for the Prado 90/95: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=71&Itemid=72 if I were to buy a new suspension kit, I pick the Ultimate Lift Kit with 600 lb front coils with Bilsteins, the Toytec Superflex 024RCB and 9602R703 Rear Long Travel Bilstein Shocks for rear. Check this another awesome site. I really like this kit: http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_3&products_id=1 Cheers

Mmm don't know why my post came in a single paragraph. And also I can't edit. Don't know what happening! Sorry

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Chris!! Mmm yes!! That kit will fit on Land Cruiser Prados 90/95. They claim in that link: Also fits 1996-2002 Prado 90.

I saw that in the link and that is what got me looking at other kits for the 4Runner.

But there are another things you have to buy: - TC modified Tundra axles and cv's are required to be installed to retain 4wd. - Widest Flares because the track width on front increase 7". - Front coilovers because a I think they are not included in that kit. - I don't remember right now if there are more parts to buy besides the kit.

I understand the additional Item that are needed, all you have said above is correct but all that included should still come in at around £2.5k. However it also does not include any lift for the rear of the truck.

That kit will fit nicely but is too expensive and should not be to good for DD or expedition rig.

With a little bit of look over the next couple of months (Before Christmas) my green 90 is to become my toy and no longer my DD and there is no intention for it to become my expedition truck (I have some very big plans in mind for that)

Check this link. They have awesome things and serves for the Prado 90/95: http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=71&Itemid=72 if I were to buy a new suspension kit, I pick the Ultimate Lift Kit with 600 lb front coils with Bilsteins, the Toytec Superflex 024RCB and 9602R703 Rear Long Travel Bilstein Shocks for rear. Check this another awesome site. I really like this kit: http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_3&products_id=1 Cheers

I did look at the toytec lift kit but there does not seem to be much gain over the Iron Man kit I have fitted already. and having a quick look over the sonoran one it is looking along the same lines.

A little more info, I have been in conflab with a friend of mine and we are looking at widening the front wheel arches and feel that with some reshaping we could shave a good 2" from the rear of the arch. This I think is one of the main restrictions for fitting larger rubber.

Chris

Dont shoot me for this, but......

Is the 90 the correct truck to put this sort of lift on to? If you look at the american sites for above average lifts, the 90 doesnt feature prominently, partly I think because of the front suspension setup. The yanks put huge lifts on Wranglers and the truck seems to take it well, and the range of choices seems very broad, as opposed to looking at using a kit for one model on a different model.

I reckon what you are looking at could be pretty groundbreaking over here, but at some cost, lots of hard work and an uncertain outcome, so if its a challenge you are looking for then I think this is a good one!

Are you looking to put oversize tyres on it? ie over 33"?

Pete

I was under the impression that the 90 was almost exactly the same underneath as the 3rd gen surf but with the addition of rear disc brakes and locker?

That was the impression I got Dan and it was mirrored by the specs for the first kit saying it was also suitable for the 96-02 prado 90. It is more that I wanted to be sure if I went for one of the cheaper kits where it is not expressly stated that it is compatible. The more I look into it the more I think it is very do-able with what looks to be little effort on my part but now I have started looking seriously I can't believe how many options there are out there.

I have always thought that we are quite limited by our IFS (Which by comparison we are) but if the 90 and the 4Runner are really that similar it really might open a whole new world of opportunities.

Chris

I found the IFS isn't really that bad to be honest, my 2nd gen surf (although it's slightly different to the 3rd gen) has a two inch suspension lift and 2inch body lift and it went pretty much everywhere I asked it to. The only issue is that the system doesn't seem very strong requiring new ball joints regularly.
Good luck with it though, I know a few people on the Surf forum have had some 3rd gens lifted so might be worth a look over yonder?

That was the impression I got Dan and it was mirrored by the specs for the first kit saying it was also suitable for the 96-02 prado 90. It is more that I wanted to be sure if I went for one of the cheaper kits where it is not expressly stated that it is compatible. The more I look into it the more I think it is very do-able with what looks to be little effort on my part but now I have started looking seriously I can't believe how many options there are out there.

I have always thought that we are quite limited by our IFS (Which by comparison we are) but if the 90 and the 4Runner are really that similar it really might open a whole new world of opportunities.

Chris

Trust me Chris, the 90/95 Prados and 3rd gen 4Runners are the same platform. Weight differences are most of all. In the suspensions systems and components, what serves for the Prado 90/95, serves for the 4Runner 3rd gen and viceversa.

Cheers

why not look at a pair of Live axles off say an 80 series or the likes and get rid of all the inherent issues with trying to lift the Collie above 2 to 3 inches

why not look at a pair of Live axles off say an 80 series or the likes and get rid of all the inherent issues with trying to lift the Collie above 2 to 3 inches

How about a set off a surf???

When I was looking into lifting my colorado I did heaps of research. I bookmarked this website as they had the kit needed and after talking to them they said it would work on my colorado. The gen 3 surf, and 4runner have the exact same platform as the colorado. http://www.caloffroad.com.au/products/corproducts_toyota_hiluxifspre2005.htm Hope this helps....
Mmm I'm almost sure these kits are for the old Toyota Hilux/Surf/4Runner IFS. Could work? Maybe but with mayor modifications I think. I still prefer a long travel kit since they are bolt on. 3rd gen 4runner SAS conversion: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/125786-addicteds-96-4runner-using-tg-tacoma-sas-kit.html What are you waiting for Chris? Je je!

Last edited:
Back