Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just popping out to the late shop.....want owt ?

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Well,I`ve scoffed my 4 cheeses pizza and I've still got the munchies.

So I`m about to pop round to the late shop.

Anyone want anything while I`m out ???

{admin: edited out offensive sentence}

Apparently my post has caused offence.

Someone was upset and ran to the teacher reporting my reference to the corner shop, it seems that my off the cuff saying:-
(In non PC times it would be called the P*** Shop)
Is not above board.... although no one as determined where this board is :roll:

I thought this place was a breath of fresh air after the TLOCUK site, but it seems the PC brigade are here too.

Bat21 said:
Apparently my post has caused offence.

Someone was upset and ran to the teacher reporting my reference to the corner shop, it seems that my off the cuff saying:-
(In non PC times it would be called the P*** Shop)
Is not above board.... although no one as determined where this board is :roll:

I thought this place was a breath of fresh air after the TLOCUK site, but it seems the PC brigade are here too.

Unless you've been living on desert island or perhaps a certain Mr Griffin's house for the last 30 years or so, I think you may find that that term WILL cause offence PC brigade or not.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
chadr said:
Unless you've been living on desert island or perhaps a certain Mr Griffin's house for the last 30 years or so, I think you may find that that term WILL cause offence PC brigade or not.
2 days a week I work in a hospital, today is one of those days.

I have just shown one of my colleagues this thread, her response was “what a load of idiots, tell them to keep their noses out”.

I asked her if she found my above phrase offensive, she said no of course not. She then went on to say how peed off she gets at others complaining on her behalf.

Her name by the way is Raj and her parents are from Lahore.

I guess this just about sums up this country and how farked up it has become.

But why even open up the site or yourself to dispute?

In a way I agree with you and your friend that we (as a country) are/have becoming too PC, but end of the day you can't deny that someone out there will find it offensive?

TonyP said:
But why even open up the site or yourself to dispute?

I agree with Tony here, why say it if it might cause offence?

There have only been a couple of posts on this site that I am aware have been moderated, you have made both.

You seemed to enjoy winding Simon up on the other site, please don't start the same thing here.

Ian

I agree, the original post seemed to have no other purpose whatsoever other than to cause controversy... just why??????

Meh, I can see it from both sides. I'm a Brit, which is short slang for British, so why can't a Pakistani be called a *insert non-PC short slang here*

The post above wasn't made in an offensive way, more jokey, and the only people it could possibly offend are the die hard PC brigade as mentioned. That said - these die hard PC brigadiers do exist and if you want to remain inoffensive to everyone you need to adhere to their rules :?

Jimbo4x4 said:
Meh, I can see it from both sides. I'm a Brit, which is short slang for British, so why can't a Pakistani be called a *insert non-PC short slang here*

True.

But I think you've really missed the crux of the issue - the term Brit is used in the same way as Aussies or Yanks etc. They just identify a group of people by their nationality. There is no negative or positive connotations associated with the general usage other than the context it's used in i.e. "Brit awarded medal for bravery", "Aussies lose World Cup...". These terms are used frequently in the media, we even have music awards named "Brits".

However the term P*** is NOT used to identify people exclusively from Pakistan. It is usually used to identify anyone that looks even vaguely Asian and is almost always used in a derogatory or negative manner. When did you last here that term used on the News for instance? - "P*** shopkeeper attacked by customer".

That is difference, it's all in the usage.

Anyway that's all I'm saying on this subject and this thread. ;)

We also need to consider the outsider i.e. the non member visitors. They may not be the people with which we wish to communicate but in an open forum they are some of the people who will read it.

I'm not personally offended by it but wouldn't want to be (or have any other forum members) considered 'one of those offensive ELCO members'.

Meanwhile if you're still going to the shop, could I have a quarter of sherbet flying saucers please?

And whilst you are at it, could you get me an apple for Teacher. It was me that raised the question over the use of the word. In my view it added nothing of benefit to the forum nor its members. The thread seemed to me to be simply a vehicle to use the word or at least be contentious. I suspect that you may be secretly happy that you scored a bullseye there. If you really want to talk abut pizza and having the munchies, I suggest that you join Stephen Fry et al on Twitter or some other such pointless waste of web space.

Sorry Paul, I for one do value your contribution and undoubted knowledge and ability in terms of interweb magic. But at times you can be a plonker! Which I believe is derogatory but not racist. ;). It's just about decency really NOT political correctness. Difficult to take offence when you are a majority. So call me whitey, or Brit I don't mind, because I don't care. But when I was in Hong Kong and in a minority, the way I was treated made me feel distinctly uncomfortable.

Chris

I think the overall response from this thread actually sums what the people here are about. This is not a controversial forum, it is not a free-for-all mud mud slinging arena.

Non of it is about being PC, I suspect you'll find very few PC folk here. I am sure most of you would not have been offended by it (hey,I'm South African) but there is closed bar talk and then there is public European Land Cruiser Club talk. Those have two very different boundaries.

Battered and Blue said:
..... But at times you can be a plonker!
If encouraging/instilling debate is being a plonker then yes, that's me..... just look back at the responses/views my threads generate ;)

If all you want here is a technical resource then that's fine but, if you want to get to know the people.. their thoughts, their views/persona's etc then I'm sorry to tell you that talking about oil and tyre sizes isn't going to get you very far.

This place is still in its infancy so, don't let it become just another insular Land Cruiser resource…. make it vibrant, make it a place that people want to keep logging into.

Bat21 said:
…. make it vibrant, make it a place that people want to keep logging into.
I seem to be spending more time on here than FaceBook :shock: :lol:
Chas

interesting debate , first about what constitutes a racist word or comment & secondly about free speech.I for one do not consider the p-word racist when its in front of the word shop -mabe its my age? then again im not aisian or pakistani - i have Irish roots (among others) and find irish jokes a bit boring but not offensive.As for free speech i`m all for it - lets hear what everyone has to say & then we can criticise and discuss (if we dont agree)

Chris said:
.....If you really want to talk abut pizza and having the munchies, I suggest that you join Stephen Fry et al on Twitter or some other such pointless waste of web space.
You just don't get it do you Chris
banghead.gif

goodoldboy said:
interesting debate , first about what constitutes a racist word or comment & secondly about free speech.I for one do not consider the p-word racist when its in front of the word shop -mabe its my age? then again im not aisian or pakistani - i have Irish roots (among others) and find irish jokes a bit boring but not offensive.As for free speech i`m all for it - lets hear what everyone has to say & then we can criticise and discuss (if we dont agree)
The context that it was used wasn't racist, the cotton wool wrapped PC brigade decided that it was derogatory.

Next we'll be getting our knuckles wrapped for saying "anyone fancy a Chinky later" :roll:

Folks - before this goes any further, please refer to the few Rule and Regulations we do have, especially:

7. Swearing, etc.
Comments of a sexist, racist, defamatory, offensive or illegal nature may be moderated.

and

11. Flaming / Personal attacks.
No flaming or abusing other members or Moderation/Admin staff. Treat people as you would like to be treated yourself. Troll posts will possibly be moderated, if you want to deliberately troll and bait people your stay will be short.

You've signed up to them - please live up to them.

Thanks.

Back