Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KDJ90 Belt squeal/whirr ?

Shayne

Guru
Last night when Helen was leaving for work she moaned about a noisy fan belt so i sprayed some wd40 on it which cured the noise and she left . Tonight as she's leaving to go somewhere she says oh the noise is worse now so i poured traffic film remover on the belts which stopped the noise and she left . Arrives home 15 minutes before she leaves for work and says its even worse now .

Quick play driving back and forth in the lane and the noise is definitely coming from the belt area , Helen has better hearing than me and says its coming from down low.

Then she decides to tell me the window wipers wouldn't work the other day and the alarm kept going off so she thinks the batteries are dead . Both tested over 12 dormant and over 14 with the engine running . Trucks gone so i'm sat here thinking belt tensioner is failing .

I don't have a manual for this truck but a search of roughtrax shows there is a tensioner and an idler pully on the KDJ so can anyone tell me which is the lower ?

Should anyone have any alternative thoughts the only other clue i can offer is that as i watched her drive off the noise put me in mind of an electric motor assisting acceleration .

Hi Shayne. If I recall back a few years ago Eckythump or Tommo had a similar problem on a D4D Collie. Turned out to be the pre heater bearing squealing. Think they bought a new bearing and pressed it in to cure it. Dont know where this pre heater is but worth checking out maybe?

Had a quick search think this might be it

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/posts/1198670/

Thanks Steve , on reading that i think i will have a go with some drainage tube to see if i can pinpoint where exactly the noise is coming from :thumbup:

Belts have not been touched in my ownership and there all in good nick and tight so maybe the electrics problem is unrelated .

Might just be worth changing the belts and tensioner. You'll be able to tell if it's the belt by simply pouring some water over them and seeing if the noise vanishes.

Also I'm not sure spraying WD-40 is a good idea on the belts, or am I wrong? I always thought lubrication on a belt isn't what you want, as in you don't want to promote them slipping?

I don't think your supposed to put anything on belts but it was dark and she had to go . Funny thing is both wd40 and traffic film remover stopped the noise temporarily but i think that may be because a little lube equals lesser load on the pulleys . Its to consistent to be a belt i think .

My mini did same thing Shayne,put new belt on and bang on now buddy,worth a try if you haven't changed them as the rubber might of hardened and not gripping properly

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The noise is different today (an electric motor winding down) relates to letting off the accelerator .

No luck with the tube listening so thinking it might be belts i have just put some Hycote belt slip on them , its like a mild adhesive and says it can cause slip initially so i will leave it for a bit to dry/set whatever it does and see if i get any joy .

Alarmingly while driving about town it sounds more like gearbox whine to my cauliflower ears .

I ordered a belt anyway .

Last edited:
Guys what is climate control or moreover how do i know if my truck has it ?

Removed the belt only to find the new one is a good bit shorter :angry-screaming:

Roughtrax sell a belt for "with aircon without climate control" or another for aircon with climate control .

The heater/aircon control panel is exactly the same as my 1998 truck and the owners manual makes no mention of climate control though it does show a digital heater control panel with an auto button which i definitely don't have .

Last edited:
Might the idle up button call for a longer belt ?

This one has climate control so mine doesn't
$_1.JPG

If yours has aircon you will need a longer belt. the climate control just uses the aircon and heating inside cab to maintain a set temp.
With just standard aircon it is either on or off.
Both systems will have the same aircon compressor in engine bay.
If that makes sense...

The idle up is controlled electronically on d4d. not sure on older ones, but nothing to do with the belt.

When my water pump started failing I got similar symptoms to what you describe

Roughtrax sell a belt for "with aircon without climate control" or another for aircon with climate control .

They don't sell a belt for a KDJ90 (d4d) without aircon .

Local motor factor should have it. failing that ... Mr T. I did mine about 50,000 miles ago after some squealing. silent ever since, took all of 3 minutes to change. I'm the worst when it comes to thinking major components are failing, when it's actually the simple thing, so now I always do that first. Worked every time so far!

Aye roughtrax did their best to work out what's amiss and even after talking to Toyota they didn't want me to order their "with climate control" belt suggesting instead i take the old belt to a local motorfactors .

Turns out the "with" belt is 5 or 6 inches longer so it sounds about right and i ended up explaining to him how the spec of these trucks is all over the place because everything was an optional extra .

They asked me to count the pulleys and call back if it fits .

It fits and it silenced the 8 pulleys allowing me to work out that she has also split a weld in the turbo down pipe and that is what my poor hearing was picking up on .

Many thanks for all for your input :thumbup:

Reactions: Sag
Shayne, does your exhaust system have a flexi piece fitted to it? I'd advise to use one if not as it'll help prevent future cracks like that. The torque in these engines have themselves twisting in the engine.

Flex was discussed when I broke the exhaust on my truck in exactly the same place but wasn't added and it's been fine since repair surviving off road and autobahn .

Makes me wonder what she's been up to , I broke mine trying to find out my trucks top speed :shock:

Count the pulleys, I like that :lol:

I've an extra pulley or one or more larger ones , either way they are gen Toyota or else the longer belt wouldn't have fit either , unless it fit by pure fluke .

If they can find the answer they can update description and save the next fella some grief , 50 or 60 quid for a fan belt would upset some people I think .

Looks like it's fixed- great.
For what it's worth I had loud squeaking recently from engine bay (105-non-turbo) and this site and others suggested belts. Changed them (1/air-con plus 2/ alternator) and now quiet again. I found bent alternator belt tensioner and bracket so replaced with OEM. Alternator stuck solid, but removed under vehicle plate and located 14mm bolt fastener for alternator. Freed it up. All good.
For non-mechanicals like me- this info might be helpful for others. It's certainly a diy job, and always good to have alternator able to be moved with tensioner.

Back