Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Kia ora

ChrisNZ

Country Flag
new_zealand
Kia ora from the South Island in New Zealand. Currently driving a VX100 4.2 auto which I bought new in 2006. Just clicked over 150,000km and still in standard (OE) spec except the audio head unit, which I changed last month. Oh and a few panels on the offside after a tangle with a ditch. Needed a tractor to pull her out, but still managed to drive home :)

All Black... :shifty:

Ah, welcome to the forum Chris... Another Chris :lol:

There's a few NZs on here, pesky things, ditches.

After 15 posts or so you'll be able to post photos and a do a few more interesting things on here.

I suggest a bit more info, antics with the truck, trips, whatever, to get the post count up... :thumbup:

cruiser (1).JPG

Hi Clive,

I have just added a photo of the aftermath from the ditch episode. Still brings a tear to my eye.......

The mechanic said the tensioner was leaking a bit when he changed the drive belt and it has always pulled to the left a little when driving, even from new. I've changed tyres, had the tracking done etc and it still does it.

Any ideas how I add a signature? Am guessing that might be another locked feature?

Last edited:
Oh man, that's a mess!

I'm not sure how you're managing to post photos after only 2 posts, seems like it varies. The signature option is in "settings" top right on the menu and when the page opens, it's third box down on the left hand side "my settings". If a signature option is not visible, then I'm guessing it's locked for the moment, till the post count is up.

The forum tries to encourage participation, so 'one-time posters' are discouraged somewhat. It's a friendly place with useful info and advice but it also thrives on your contributions, when you have something to say.

Is the truck repaired now, or are you still in process? That's a fair bit of damage, albeit mostly cosmetic.

Im a bit confused by "a leaking tensioner when he changed the drive belt". Assuming you're referring to the cam belt, the tensioner should be changed when the belt is renewed anyway as part of the process, but leaking? There's nothing to leak, it's just a tensioner. Some folks change the water pump at the same time while they're in there, maybe you had a leak from the water pump... Confused :think:

As for pulling to the left under drive, that's usually one one of two reasons. You've ruled out tyres it seems, sometimes odd tyre son the same front "axle" can give you imbalanced steering, but you say you've changed the tyres. Are they the same brand/size/pressure on both sides, worth checking. Otherwise, it sounds like geometry. That can be out as a consequence of an impact, or worn suspension joints, allowing movement where it shouldn't be, or misalignment.

I would suggest you you getting a digital geometry check and print-out. These days, they can give you all geometry characteristics of each wheel individually, front and rear. That would be a good starting point to track down where the problem may be. What concerns me is you saying it has always pulled to the left even from new. If I'd paid new price for a new vehicle, I'm sure I wouldn't be happy if it was pulling to the left! :wtf: Maybe they dropped it off a transporter or something, still it's too late for us to be concerning ourselves with something that may or may not have happened in 2006 :lol: Try to find a good vehicle centre that has the geometry equipment to run a measurement.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All fixed fortunately.

I've had the geometry and alignment checked several times over the years. It's hard not to knock the alignment out round here given the state of our roads after all the earthquakes ;)

The geo was spot on before and after the crash and we have tried several toe-in adjustments on the front wheels. Almost certainly down to wear now.

It'll be due another set of tyres fairly soon so I'll work over it all again then. Have always run Dunlops (as per OE), but am doing a fair bit of towing and off-road stuff with a horse float these days so will change to something a bit more rugged.

The leaking part was the gel filled tensioner. The mechanic suggested it has a bearing and a seal had gone? Regardless, it sounded a bit ticky before, but doesn't now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There you go, glad it's all sorted now.

I should keep my mouth shut on 100 series, I only know a bit about my 80 and it's clearly wrong to assume similarities between the series :oops:

I think it's fair to say that the consensus on here is that the Dunlops are useless and there's a lot of advice here on other more appropriate brands and types to suit your particular needs.

Back