Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knee arthroscopy advice

warrenpfo

I have a meniscal tear on the inside of my right knee and am due to have an arthroscopy on Monday. I will be in and out of hospital on the same day and go under general anesthetic for the operation but my concern is that no one is at home and everyone i have spoken too says its not a good idea to for the first 24h or so to be on your own if you have had a general anesthetic along with not being able to move after the operation.

Any comments or anyone had the operation that can advise. A mate has offered to stay the night but don't want to put him out if its not required

I have a meniscal tear on the inside of my right knee and am due to have an arthroscopy on Monday. I will be in and out of hospital on the same day and go under general anesthetic for the operation but my concern is that no one is at home and everyone i have spoken too says its not a good idea to for the first 24h or so to be on your own if you have had a general anesthetic along with not being able to move after the operation.

Any comments or anyone had the operation that can advise. A mate has offered to stay the night but don't want to put him out if its not required
It's very hard to say, different people have different reactions to a general anesthetic, I had a stomach operation in the morning and was up and walking three hours later, anesthetics wear off very quickly with me. It's better to be safe rather than sorry so I would say yes have your friend stay over.

Last edited:
If you live on your own, TELL them no one will be there to offer care. They then can not discharge you the same day :icon-wink:

It's very hard to say, different people have differentreactions to a general anesthetic, I had a stomach operation in themorning and was up and walking three hours later, anesthetics wear off veryquickly with me. It's better to be safe rather than sorry so I would sayyes have your friend stay over.*Cars ~ Keyless
*Food ~ Fatless
*Tires ~ Tubeless
*Dress ~ Sleeveless
*Youth ~ Jobless
*Leaders ~ Shameless
*Relationships ~ Meaningless
*Attitude ~ Careless
*Babies ~ Fatherless
*Feelings ~ Heartless
*Education ~ Valueless
*Children ~ Mannerless
Everything is becoming LESS but still our hopesare Endless.
In fact we are ~ Speechless

And our Present Administration is

CLUELESS !!/ CLASSLESS / AND USELESS!!!
Chas, I'll have an ounce of whatever it is you've been smoking please :wtf:

Where did you get that? it's not there now. That was supposed to have been edited, I don't know what happened there, I removed the unnecessary bits but they still appeared, Admin EDIT FAIL!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As been said above, different people react and recover from GA in different ways. I've been "under" about 3 or 4 times and have always recovered within a few hours and been fine. Whereas my wife, who has also had GA about 2 or 3 times, always feels nauseous and light-headed for several hours afterwards and takes about 24 hours to fully recover.

If you've never had a GA before, I would play it safe and either stay in hospital overnight or get your mate to stay over with you at home.

As been said above, different people react and recover from GA in different ways. I've been "under" about 3 or 4 times and have always recovered within a few hours and been fine. Whereas my wife, who has also had GA about 2 or 3 times, always feels nauseous and light-headed for several hours afterwards and takes about 24 hours to fully recover.

If you've never had a GA before, I would play it safe and either stay in hospital overnight or get your mate to stay over with you at home.

My husband is an orth surgeon- he does many knees and his patients don't go home the same day if that's any help...good luck.

Well I have both legs still and a swollen knee but believe all went well. Look forward to a week at home with my leg up.

Thanks all

Here's to a speedy recover Warren and I hope you get your leg over, sorry, err... up.

:thumbup:

Back