Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Knocking noise on acceleration

Salty

Country Flag
australia
G,day all,
I have a 2004 manual HDJ100, it has developed a knock on acceleration. It is a constant noise as it doesn't get louder on rpm but does speed up with the increased rpm, motor has been serviced every 5000kms and has only done 160000kms I haven't replaced the injector pipes as of yet as recommend at 150000kms. Any thought would be appreciated. I have done about 2500 kms with this noise so not sure what's going on.
Cheers for reading Salty.

Drive shafts ... Get them checked asap. Can be very dangerous if a front one fails going at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that the knock is there while the vehicle is stationary so this would rule out drive shafts.

Check the simple things first - its always tempting to think 'worst case scenario' :icon-wink:.

Is the exhaust touching the chassis somewhere ??

I once had a starter motor come loose (not on a Toyota) - check bolts on starter, turbo, alternator, chassis cross-members (particularly the gearbox mount), cooling fan bolts.

I once had a bent dipstick that was being hit by the crank (not on a Toyota), unlikely but worth a look.

Is the noise the same when you depress the clutch ?? - thinking pressure plate or driven plate springs.

I once had a bonded-rubber engine mounting come apart (not on a Toyota), it allowed the motor to rock and the cam box was hitting the brake master cylinder. Unlikely if the knock is there at tickover but again, look for anything unusual that might be loose or hitting something else.

Is the oil pressure normal . . . . :whistle: (I think you would know if a big-end had gone).

Bob.

Gonna need one from under the bonnet Salty, could be anything knocking.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't hear it from under the bonnet that's me problem, i have crawled under the car it does sound like it coming from around the clutch , Starter motor area.

I am deaf to like 50% of tones so probably not much use to you at all but what i hear with the laptop squashed to my head is a hollow sounding knock like you get with a hole in the exhaust .

Sounds like big end knock to me or broken piston. Sounds like it is just on one cylinder. The oil pressure could well be normal even with big end knock. The pressure relief valve closes to accommodate. If the knocking IS inside the engine you will have metal debris in the engine oil. Drain the oil to confirm. If oil is clear I'm wrong.

That was the first thing i checked Frank, But thanks for your opinion i have travelled over 2500kms with this noise doesn't get any louder than you can here in the videos.

Ah now I did have a similar noise on my 80 when the valve clearances were wildly out. My 100 makes a noise similar to yours but not quite as loud so perhaps check those clearances.

Can I ask if the knock gets quieter when turning the steering at idle and stationary with the engine ticking over? I have a similar knock on my Colorado when the engine is up to temp. It is coming from the idler gears which drive the steering pump and vacuum pump along with the fuel pump. I don't know if the engines in the 80's are the same set up with the timing or not.I can hear the knock by putting a long screwdriver onto either pump and putting my ear onto the handle. When my son turns the wheel it goes quieter . Mine has been like this since I brought it with 92000 on the clock and now has 217000. Doesn't get any worse just there when engine is hot.

Salty,
My guess - fuel pump
Mine has similar noise
Once I open the cover while the engine was running and I could hear the noise clearly
Unfortunately I broke the cover back then - be careful
Back then I replaced the fuel filters and use add injectors cleaner to fuel
Actually I used double dosing of injectors cleaner for 2000 km approx
Nowadays the noise is nice and quite
I use the injectors cleaner every 10-15,000 km - just before oil change

Try it - you lose nothing

2006 TLC 100 IL

G’day there just wondering what the problem was as my 100 fte auto has the identical noise

2C0FA369-C9AC-4BD8-95B2-4BDC01E1C6F5.jpeg

Back