Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Krown rusproofing - discount available?

What do you think you 80's weigh
Actually David I have no idea,
Actually David I've no idea, what with winch bumper, swing away wheel carrier, roof tent, fridge, and all the other bits and pieces it must weigh a lot more than standard, I should try to find a public weighbridge.

Wow at first I wondered was that a test then the penny dropped OMG that gotta be a scare Andy. Thankfully only a scape wow thats a close call. So happy for you it turned out ok......would have had a few drinks over that....lol

Actually David I have no idea,

Actually David I've no idea, what with winch bumper, swing away wheel carrier, roof tent, fridge, and all the other bits and pieces it must weigh a lot more than standard, I should try to find a public weighbridge.
I put mine over a weigh bridge with 260 litres of fuel and it was 3400KG

Both mine & sams are just over 3000kg with the long range tanks empty & not much gear in them, put them on a weighbridge a couple of months ago when working out weight for new suspension

Mine was 2840kg with roof tent and drawer system but then I don't have long range tank, twin swing out carriers and two spares. I have tried to make the mods as light as possible.

Sam, that is rotten luck. I guess that meant your truck didn't get Krowned? I can imagine Rob being very upset that that had happened. He must be in shock as I don't think I would trust that ramp now even when repaired, especially with the safety catches failing. This also means he's out of business until it's repaired/replaced which will be a serious blow to him. I don't suppose he's even thought of that yet as his focus would be on you and your truck. He must be gutted to say the least.

Be interested to know what the ramp was rated at tbh it did not look to powerful

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah mine got done he was letting it down when the cable broke once we got mine off and the corner that broke proped up on a bottle jack he put dads on and done his lol so i dont think hes scared but yeah he looked white when i came down after dad said there was a problem he couldnt have been more sorry i just said dont worry these things happen as long as your ok thats the main thing trucks can be repaired. About fixing it hes got a job on the aecond and he knows some one who can fix it so fingers crossed it all grts sorted sharpish.

I think he said 3ton but dont these sort of things usually take abit more in Reality

B7A51548-3315-40F7-BA19-CABF26E1A888.jpeg
He’s got a new cable lined up hopefully before his next booking which is 2nd jan, yes he was concerned, sams truck was nearly done when it happened, & he insisted on doing mine as we had made over a 400 mile round trip.
We jacked & blocked the broken corner of the ramp so it was about 18” up, lifted the other 3 corners & with some ramps drove mine on.
As mine has a 3” lift there was plenty of room for him to get under & work, in fact he said it was more comfortable sitting down!
Any way both trucks were successfully done, he didn’t stop at all (apart from when the little problem arose) from about 9 till 4.30, his attention to detail was brilliant, he got in everywhere with his probes & used gallons of the magic liquid.
I highly reccomend him, lets hope that the product matches his care & attention, he certainly believes in it & has many many good reviews

I think he said 3ton but dont these sort of things usually take abit more in Reality

It depends. If it can lift it it should be capable of supporting it, in other words the hydraulics should limit the load and there should be a factor of at least 2:1 so it should survive 6 tonnes on a 3 tonne ramp if all is in good shape.
The thing is, there's been lots of cases where cheap Chinese ramps have not taken their 'rated' load. Just have a look on YouTube!
Not saying Rob's ramp is a cheap Chinese one, I really don't know.

Last edited:
[QUOTE

I think he said 3ton but dont these sort of things usually take abit more in Reality[/QUOTE]
Not big enough for the job then, worse case if someone was hurt and the HSE were involved as they would be he would be mega Fu--ed

He did say he inspects the cables regularly and that they all looked fine. He did also say its an old ramp and wants to upgrade it to take on bigger thing. Apart from the ramp issue that no one could have stopped he was brilliant 10 out of 10 from me

Not big enough for the job then, worse case if someone was hurt and the HSE were involved as they would be he would be mega Fu--ed
Agreed, the thing is, these modified cruisers are far heavier than expected. The ramp in my view should have stalled out the hydraulics before being overloaded and not lifted it. It is the ramp that was there when they took over the place and I know they look over it and check. Unless cars go on a weigh bridge or other scales how can you know what they weigh? I reckon the unloader valve is set wrong.

Everything fails in the end so be thankful its was only a forgettable glitch compared to the potentially unforgettable consequences that this event will almost certainly ensure never comes to pass .

That's a very good way of putting it Shayne.
That accidents happen, and that we learn from them, seems to have been written out of our culture by Elfin Safety.

Rich, his ramp has 4 steel cables, one to each post, with a sort of plastic sheathing around the cable.
The actual cable parted in the middle, not near a splice, crimp or joint of any sort.
Apparently it was a drive through car wash when he got the place, which he removed & fitted the lift.

I hope nobody is put off by this incident, he’s a decent bloke & obviously it’s his livlihood

Me neither, I think Andy and Sam have made it clear that his reaction was exemplary. There's clearly something to be done and I have no doubt whatsoever that Rob will make it right, he just had the right attitude.

Rich, his ramp has 4 steel cables, one to each post, with a sort of plastic sheathing around the cable.
The actual cable parted in the middle, not near a splice, crimp or joint of any sort.
Apparently it was a drive through car wash when he got the place, which he removed & fitted the lift.

I know the type Andy, I wouldn't be surprised if Rob now has uprated cables fitted to all four corners.

I'm used to seeing much heavier wire rope snap without warning on boats , there's a rope core that runs through the centre of the wire that rots out and once it has the wire chaffs internally as it twists on taking weight , there's no visible sign of a problem .

I remember about £2000 worth of new wire going in a skip when a clever young crew man decided to use a blow torch to burn off the depth marks (rope spliced into the wire) many years ago , he probably works at McDonalds now :doh:

Back