1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake District Lanes Sept 2009

Gary Stockton Feb 25, 2010

1. Gary Stockton

Gary Stockton Super Moderator Supporter I am in zimbabwe

Garage:
    Map
    Jon and Ray invited me to tag along with them to do some Lakes Lanes ...

OK - let's see if I can get this right. I don''t know half the names, so apologies in advance. Also - I was trying to drive, watch the navigation on the PC MemoryMap to check my external GPS goody was working, watch the line Jon took, look at the scenery and take pics - consequently not everything was done every time :lol:

I'd wanted to do a Lakes trip for a while, and the weekend I had planned in August got stolen by work, so when Jon quietly said he'd be going, I managed to leach onto the trip!! Glad I did, because there is no way I would have known where to go, and some of it is probably not suitable for single-vehicle travel. I didn't even make it to the first night's campsite without having to be dragged out of a massive mud wallow :oops: Needless to say, Jon and Ray had no problems ...

LakeDistrictLanes009.jpg
    Sorry - can't figure out how to get the rotated image in here ...

The muddy result:

LakeDistrictLanes006.jpg

I went in to past my knees in getting the shackle on the front recovery point :x

We stopped in a pleasant enough spot, and enjoyed the scenery. Unfortunately the intrepid travellers from the South had gotten held up in traffic, so by the time we sampled the great spaghetti bolognese it was about 22h30, and we were knackered.

The weather report for Kendal had said mostly sunny - unfortunately we were greeted with clouds and light drizzle for most of Saturday.

LakeDistrictLanes013.jpg

which made clambering around the quarry a tad more interesting than it would have been otherwise. Nothing majorly challenging covered to this point, but stunning views all round.

Jon has posted a link to some quarry pics here are one or two more:

LakeDistrictLanes024.jpg

LakeDistrictLanes039.jpg

LakeDistrictLanes048.jpg

LakeDistrictLanes036.jpg

Oooh - what's down there?

LakeDistrictLanes037.jpg

Stupidly, none of us had taken a torch, and error we won't make again :wink:

Wasn't long before we were on the lanes again

LakeDistrictLanes051.jpg

and checking 120 articulation

LakeDistrictLanes052.jpg

other side

LakeDistrictLanes053.jpg

Then onto the Lake Windermere ferry

LakeDistrictLanes055.jpg

LakeDistrictLanes059.jpg

where the ferryman tried to sell us his K reg 80 series GX diesel :lol:

The weather had started to clear up,but was mighty windy now, and we thought we were in for a storm, so we made camp and strung up a couple of tarpaulins for shelter

LakeDistrictLanes061.jpg

Sunday dawned bright and sunny, and WARM and after a lazy start, despite being woken by a sheep right outside the tents (I think it was calling someone - NOT me!!) we were off on the trails again:

LakeDistrictLanes064.jpg

One of the tight gates

LakeDistrictLanes070.jpg

and for Ray

LakeDistrictLanes073.jpg

LakeDistrictLanes075.jpg

Kicking back and starting to relax now:

LakeDistrictLanes079.jpg

Then the fun started - this is Stile End, I think?

LakeDistrictLanes112.jpg

LakeDistrictLanes126.jpg

This pic also shows the wife-induced bumper modification :twisted: The LC goes in tomorrow for a new bumper installation ....

Not too bad, especially with an enthusiastic gate-man and spectator along:

LakeDistrictLanes137.jpg

and the views were spectacular:

LakeDistrictLanes131.jpg

We decided to have a late breakfast just before the start of the last lane, because that was just a pleasant drive over the hill ...

LakeDistrictLanes142.jpg

LakeDistrictLanes140.jpg

Ray working at supervising the chef...

LakeDistrictLanes141.jpg

Look - Jon cooking :shock:

LakeDistrictLanes143.jpg

We spent a pleasant hour or so here - fate was at work obviously, little did we know that the trail at the top and down the other side was almost completely broken up and washed away, and we'd (well, OK, I'd - although I did see Jon go a little pale at one bit...) have a few heart-stopping moments and do quite a bit of road-building :lol:

LakeDistrictLanes147.jpg

And this is the last pic I have :wink:

It got too hairy from here on. Hopefully Anthony will have somoe more for us :lol:

LakeDistrictLanes115.jpg

I did have a fantastic time, and many, many thanks to Ray and Jon, for the help, assistance and letting me join in their trip. I learnt a lot about the 120's abilities and that I'm not too bad a driver. I mapped it all out so I can go back one day :p

2. Crispin

Crispin Administrator Staff Member Guru I am in great_britain

Map
    LakeDistrictLanes048.jpg

Could the 80 not make it? :lol:

(For those who don't know, Jon is a very small person. You should see him next to Chris :o )

3. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    Oi, cheeky. I'm just big-boned!

C

4. Jon Wildsmith

Jon Wildsmith Super Moderator Supporter Guru I am in england

Garage:
    Map
  5. Gary Stockton

Gary Stockton Super Moderator Supporter I am in zimbabwe

Garage:
    Map
    Did you ever get to see any of the video?

6. Jon Wildsmith

Garage:
    Map
    I think there's a DVD here somewhere, maybe, seem to remember something about that :? I'll have a look.

7. Louis Kruger

Louis Kruger New Member

Map
    Great report. Thanks for sharing.

That interesting tyres on the 80, is that a combination of mud and road?

8. Jon Wildsmith

Garage:
    Map
    They're 36x12.5x16 Simex ET II's, very good for mud, bit noisey on road but behaviour is not too bad for such an aggressive tyre.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter