Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser 3.0TD KZJ70 Turbo Manifold Studs Removal

Yorkshire Devil

Does anyone have any tips on removing the Manifold Stud bolts? I have had a new stainless steel side exit exhaust fitted but I would like to renew the manifold studs as the old ones were re-used.

What success have other forum members had removing the studs from the 3.0 litre turbo diesel?. With the wheel off it looks like there is enough access to get in but I thought I would see if anyone has done it before with success?

null_zps4fa65b6f.jpg
null_zps632d8aab.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on removing the Manifold Stud bolts? YES LET SOME ONE ELSE DO IT!

no, but the new zorst looks great - what does it sound like? Any chance of a you tube vid ?
Steve

Why would you even change them if they haven't broken off yet, and still work?

EDIT
I am also curious as to how your exhaust is suspended, think you could take a few pics of how it hangs? Having problems coming up with a working solution in mine, and my exhaist is pretty similar to yours.

Last edited:
There was an advisory that the studs will need replacing by the place that made the exhaust. The new exhaust is suspended by the same bracket that hangs off the chassis for the original exhaust.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Remove the system. Put two nuts onto stud and tighten together. Do not tighten nuts against flange. Spray stud with a release agent and leave for 10 minutes. It helps if manifold is hot. Apply torque gently to remove stud. Do not use pneumatic or electric gun.

Roger

Remove the system. Put two nuts onto stud and tighten together. Do not tighten nuts against flange. Spray stud with a release agent and leave for 10 minutes. It helps if manifold is hot. Apply torque gently to remove stud. Do not use pneumatic or electric gun.

Roger

Hi Roge,

I have used that method before but it puts great stress on the bolt and can cause it to snap,

get a big fook off hammer and smash the shit out of them that will work ste if not bring it up here and i will wack the fook out of it foc

Last edited:
Never had that happen. You don't need to over tighten the nuts, just enough to lock them together.

Roger

Roge,

Its happened to me before on another car and I had used lots of penetrating oil, fortunately there was enough of the thread to try again but that was a M8 stud and these Toyotas are M10 I believe. I'm unsure as to the pitch does anyone know if the turbo end of the stud that screws into the turbo is the same as the longer part of the stud? I plan to run a tap through the turbo manifold just to clean it up before the new studs are fastened in.

There was an advisory that the studs will need replacing by the place that made the exhaust. The new exhaust is suspended by the same bracket that hangs off the chassis for the original exhaust.

Unfortunatley that doesnt help me much, because it already had a custom exhaust when i bought it... With no hanger below the door...

Back