Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land rover happiness!!!

My dad had this happen on his Beemer last year parked on the drive in the pouring rain. When I went in and told him he thought I was joking!
I have learnt to take my keys out of my pocket and hang them up! I'm surprised nothings ever gone missing the amount of times ive opened all the windows whilst sat on the sofa.

My parents are on their 3rd or 4th freelander now, always purchased new. They had one for less than a year as too many things kept going wrong with it. "It's ok son, they gave us a really good deal on another new one" hope i'm adopted.

My parents are on their 3rd or 4th freelander now, always purchased new. They had one for less than a year as too many things kept going wrong with it. "It's ok son, they gave us a really good deal on another new one" hope i'm adopted.

:laughing-rolling: :clap: :laughing-rolling:

I had a customer probably 12 -15 years ago that bought a brand new Freeloader. The head gasket went on it in the first year so the dealer replaced the gasket. It went again, got replaced, then again, out of warranty this time got replaced. I think it got to 2 years old and went again. She gave it back to the dealer saying she didn't want to ever see it again.

I had a customer probably 12 -15 years ago that bought a brand new Freeloader. The head gasket went on it in the first year so the dealer replaced the gasket. It went again, got replaced, then again, out of warranty this time got replaced. I think it got to 2 years old and went again. She gave it back to the dealer saying she didn't want to ever see it again.
One of the better ones then

The function on the key was that if you pressed it in a certain way you could open the windows before you got near the car e.g. on an extremely hot day. I had the window motors disconnected from the battery when key out of ign so it could not happen again. All done on VW laptop !!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have learnt to take my keys out of my pocket and hang them up! I'm surprised nothings ever gone missing the amount of times ive opened all the windows whilst sat on the sofa.

A bit late to the party, but you're a star, Nick :clap:

MG used the same freelander engine. My friend asked me what the MG was like and I said rubbish. Then he told me he was getting one !! Head gasket went in less than 12 months.

Same with everything in this country. Shite management..

Freelander/MG engines need modified head pegs - sorts the problem. Just like BEBs on 4.2 12v - its a "design feature".

Freelander/MG engines need modified head pegs - sorts the problem. Just like BEBs on 4.2 12v - its a "design feature".
K series heads were letting go far earlier than most BEBs on the 12 v tho to be fair.

My friend has just bought one and the bonnet won't close.

That's because it's always open for repairs...

On the subject of windows, when I ran Volvo V40's and V50's, if you held the unlock button it would open all the windows, conversely if you held the lock button it closed them all. The old 480 did the same with the key in the door lock, which was one of those good ideas they didn't do more with...

Also made me laugh that some of them were reporting the same fuel economy as I get out of my 4Runner... 25 years old and 325,000km.

The window thing is very handy in the summer. Saves getting into a boiling hot car. Just a pain when done accidentally.

There's no one reason why the head gaskets go but they all need the newer design head gasket.. Even then they can fail. The old gasket comprises a thin piece of steel. During manufacture a small bead of rubber is applied to the water galleries. WTF. Sometimes the failure is between water gallery and combustion chamber (extremely nasty). Other times its between the water gallery and block exterior and the lucky owner notices steam in the rear view mirror (very nasty).

Amazing they didn't simply punch the hole in the head gasket bigger and drop an O ring where the water channel is. I'm imagining it's not that easy as they're all-over-the-place-wiggly holes.

Or, more radical than that, do what successful engines do. It can't be that hard, others seem to last.

Back