Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Rover or Land Cruiser?

Ed hes clearly never driven a collie, otherwise he wouldn't even be considering a defender! If he goes and test drives one I'm sure he will see sense! :icon-wink:

Defender has got to be the most uncomfortable 4x4 I've ever driven! :thumbdown:

I know an LWB Land Rover is not a defender but it was its predecessor I have fond memories of my 1962 one which was very simple and reasonably reliable.

I know that the Collie is a better option in many ways, but what are the 3 or 4 selling points that I should use; he's looking at a Defender Station Wagon, so a standard Collie would do the job equally as well.

Point 1 loads of room in the cabin for elbow etc Defender as mentioned earlier has no room
Point 2 has more power and will cruise along the motorway much better than the defender. a lot quieter too
Point 3 it comes standard out of the box with rear difflocker (uk version)
Point 4 A lot more reliable than the defender
Point 5 its easier to maintain than a defender. you try and change the cambetl on a defender trying to undo the bottom pulley and keep the fuel pump in time.

I hope this helps.:icon-biggrin:

Tell him that the main difference between buying a new Toyota and buying a new Land Rover is that the Toyota dealer tells you "Bye-bye, it was nice meeting you", while the Land Rover dealer tells you: "See you soon..."

I know an LWB Land Rover is not a defender but it was its predecessor I have fond memories of my 1962 one which was very simple and reasonably reliable.

They were good trucks in those days Frank. After 78 or thereabouts, they started scrimping on costs and quality. Chocolate was obviously cheaper than steel.:lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For what??

Andy

Spanner practice.
confused-28.gif

Thanks for reporting it - scumbag deleted now.

I am sure I read somewhere recently that after 40 years of LR's the Aussie army have just ordered G-Wagens? This dislike of defenders seems to be spreading!

I have no experience of defenders but my Series 3 was a laugh and so was a series 1 that was briefly in my ownership.

I read recently the SAS are giving up on LR's and buying some Yankee stuff, can't remember what but it wasn't Hummers.

Last edited:
I read recently the SAS are giving up on LR's and buying some Yankee stuff, can't remember what but it wasn't Hummers.

There was a programme on TV a few nights ago about this? They('ve) buying some US-built armoured vehicle instead of the LRs.

That will probably be the Boeing Badger then, I presume?

as the defender is not going to be produced as it is any more the military's are haveing to go else where for the type of vehicle they need to use.

Its the same with the Hummer they are not going to be made any more for the us army. there is talk of them all being left in Afganistan as well to will not be going into collecters hands. shame.

landies do have there place i will say. the parts are so cheap if you do break it and you will. my entire front axle on my defender cost me £75 i cant even get a second hand caliper for that on my 80.

stu

When I left the army in 2009 there was already lots of talk that the army would replace the defender with the g wagon, but alots changed since then in terms of equipment. If you compare the equipment we had at the start of Afghanistan, well op herrick to what we have now, it's like a completely different army!

When I left the army in 2009 there was already lots of talk that the army would replace the defender with the g wagon, but alots changed since then in terms of equipment. If you compare the equipment we had at the start of Afghanistan, well op herrick to what we have now, it's like a completely different army!

can't see much of the new stuff being released to the general public!!

shame!!

I am sure I read somewhere recently that after 40 years of LR's the Aussie army have just ordered G-Wagens? This dislike of defenders seems to be spreading!

I have no experience of defenders but my Series 3 was a laugh and so was a series 1 that was briefly in my ownership.
The Oz army LRs all had the engines replaced with Isuzu engines. The 6x6 had Isuzu 3.9lt and the 4x4 had 2.8lt (I think)

The Oz army LRs all had the engines replaced with Isuzu engines. The 6x6 had Isuzu 3.9lt and the 4x4 had 2.8lt (I think)
the perentite was a very different vehicle, what landrovers should have been. They were completely rebuilt, some 6 inches wider than a standard rover as well, loved the 6x6.

Always liked the ethos of the Santana as well. leaf springs and a decent iveco engine

Back