Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser parking with home in grounds... Herefordshire

Euan McGilp

Moderators please move if this is in the wrong place!

Anyone looking for a new home with a proper toybox?

Promised myself a 'toybox' when I had space to build it but now moving after medical retirement so... here goes:

55' x 25' (17m x 7.5m & 3m to eaves) portal framed barn; 100A mains power, water & soil pipe connected to private drainage installed. When building this I took out 100 tons of soil to get a decent level & added in 75 tons of scalpings & shook on a 6-ton roller for 2 days to compact down. Bounced the JCB off bedrock when digging portal footings (so no movement here). Plastisol coated box profile walls & roof (10' at eaves, 12' at apex) with insulated roof (equivalent to 3" celotex). When I built it, I knew it would be several years before I needed to move my wife's Chevy project, so I drove it in & built the end wall behind it (have all the steel for the door frame ready to install)

Approx 30' x 30' parking in front of barn (enough for serious American Caravan & Landcruiser) - behind 13' farm gate. Now for the expensive bit - 4 bedroom bungalow alongside (parking for another 5 or 6 cars too!) - whole plot is approx 3/4 acre, roughly 1/2 way between Ross on Wye & Hereford, off the A49.

http://nicholas-craddock.co.uk/details.a....rch&propid=3062

Anyone interested? If I have to sell to someone boring, Barn may be available - if I don't strip it & take it with me.

Apologies if this is out of order - not intended. (PS - Larry's Rules).

Nice place. Good luck with the sale. :thumbup:

I'd love to live in Hereford it's my kind of place and only 60 miles up the road . But the Mrs was born in this town and nothing i can say will convince her to leave it :romance-ballandcha:

I'll have it, er, that is if my numbers come up tomorrow night :pray:

Ben: Thanks for kind words; maybe if I was several (many) years younger I'd have been as brave/daft/ambitious (please delete as appropriate :icon-exclaim:) as you & headed to pastures very new!

I had an interesting' cardiac event about 18 months ago which left me with an Aquired Brain Injury. Now being medically retired after 32 years in education.

Planning to change direction & really fancy building my own from scratch - probably as 'off-grid' as I can... New & improved mancave already in my head!grin.gif

Shayne: & there's me thinking about a big bit of space in the wilds of Pembrokeshire (hmmm, a Welsh Lincomb some time in the future...???)

Cossack: my fingers are already crossed for you :icon-wink:

Remember, every day above ground is a good day! Live every day as if it might be your last & don't forget to hug the one(s) who really matter to you.

Good luck with the new project Euan i know from experience how it takes some major mental adjustment to cope when medical problems derail you . For me keeping an occupied mind was the road to recovery :thumbup:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the comments Shayne, much appreciated. Come on, you know you want it! :icon-wink:

But seriously though, I wonder if you can help me out here - anyone prepared to give me a reply or pm with some honest / constructive feedback on my particulars? This does NOT mean that I don't appreciate earlier replies, I really do. Just a more specific question now (re-reads & cringes as to how above sentence reads :oops:) - please read on:

My estate agent is proving not the fastest to reply to my question about prospective client feedback & I'd appreciate an unbiased view. We'd pitched it at the average of 3 agents prices & now wondering if the barn is a problem for "sensible" potential purchasers (hence I will happily strip it down & take with me to be born again as 'Toybox / Cave #2'!)

Toybox update:
Assuming all comes together, new mancave will have 4 post lift - been 'promised' one, bike lift - just got to move it (too old / knackered to lie underneath stuff any more
wink.gif), big compressor / blasting tank & parts washer; lathe & mill (to replace kit I had to let go prior to last move but one) & space for 8 - 10 toys... Only problem was, moving to here took 1 x 7.5 tonner for house stuff and a second one to bring contents of workshop - so this move WILL be fun:think:

As for future build plans, I'm planning to install a small kitchen (where else do you heat engine cases?) & a shower / w/c (I hate having to 'clean up to nip in for a weehuh.gif). O yeah, a sofa, space for the 2 fridges (1x beer & 1x soft fizz) and a decent sound system!

To be honest, if the only interest I get for the house is from 'sensible' folk who just want it plus stunning views, I'll happily strip the barn down again & take it with me!

We'll see... Maybe I should have got the estate agent to market it as "mancave with house in grounds"...?huh.gif

For the next house, I really fancy building a Canadian -style log home (the sort with 16" thick log walls) & installing pv / hydro / wind to supplement energy costs (and depending on location/installation cost).

Loads to plan now - all I got to do is sell this one, so tell your mates!cool.gif

Thanks all,

Euan

If I win the lottery or my Premium bonds come up trumps I'll have it, for me it would be perfect, out in the countryside, lovely views, all that space for lots of 80's :drool: and only 15 miles from Julian V, what more could a toy (Toyota) boy want. :icon-wink: I think though for a normal buyer the barn might be a sticking point. :think: I'll be in touch tomorrow night if my numbers strike it lucky. :pray:

Chas,

Many thanks for feedback, much appreciated & glad you like it - so do I now it's ready to sell (!?!); I'm keeping fingers, toes & anything else I can think of crossed that your numbers come up! But seriously, I think you may be right about the barn, so I'll probably take it with me for use at the new place (wherever that may be). At least it will give me a chance to plan Toybox #2 with all the goodies sorted before filling it with rubbish (essential kit which I know I'll need one day:whistle:).

Alternate plan, considering everyone in this village seems to be doing it, may be to split my plot up & get OPP for a 2/3 bed bungalow to sit on 1/4 acre leaving main bungalow on 1/2 acre. This would give parking for at least 4 vehicles at each house & already have separate gated entrances. I realise I'd need to drop price of main home, but depends by how much such a relatively large building plot would fetch considering one tiny plot on lowest side of steep valley with no views has just gone for £65k (to squeeze a 2/3 bed 3-level home with 1 parking slot on).

And so it goes... :think:

Thanks,

Euan

I'd suggest that the barn will limit the number of people interested - but based upon my own experience saying you'll remove if required or price with/without will do little to widen your market... as the 'wider population' can't seem to imagine stuff added/removed - which is why stylishly furnished, but not over cluttered houses (like yours) will sell quicker than cold/empty ones!

Also, IMO you'd get more for your money with the barn than if you removed it.

So I agree with your earlier comment - this should absolutely be sold as house/extensive workshop 'with commercial potential' or something similar... basically because this property would jump out at the type of person who would buy this (as is)....

I'd say this is in your particulars already - but could have a stronger emphasis? :think:

Or you could add the four post lift, beer fridge, sofa, sound system and let it as a speciality holiday cottage :drool:

Hope my ramblings help....

Good luck with the sale!

Last edited:
Chas, I'm keeping fingers, toes & anything else I can think of crossed that your numbers come up!
Euan
:thumbdown: No luck tonight Euan, I'll check again Saturday. :pray:

Chas, if there's any more incentive, I was planning on setting up an indoor range for my son in the barn (he also shoots recurve) and, being portal framed, it could easily be extended by another 15 metres :lol:

Justin, a speciality holiday cottage - hmmm, an interesting idea. I wonder how many LC owning visitors I could expect then? Although maybe the lift would be too much (unless I let it to LR owners)...:dance: Or maybe a staging post for Ben if he pops back from OZ :whistle:

Do you have planning permission for business use on the barn? If not then that might be worth doing so that someone can run a small restoration/repair business there if there is enough space for some vehicles/equipment in the barn.

Perhaps also try an ad in Classic and Sports Car etc; they used to have this type of house in them from time to time, because it would be ideal for some of their readers.

Maybe contact Brightwells as well at Leominster to see if they're willing to act as agents; they've got a classic car sale in May so that might be worth getting an advert in the catalogue if it's not gone...

Do you have planning permission for business use on the barn? If not then that might be worth doing so that someone can run a small restoration/repair business there if there is enough space for some vehicles/equipment in the barn.

Perhaps also try an ad in Classic and Sports Car etc; they used to have this type of house in them from time to time, because it would be ideal for some of their readers.

Maybe contact Brightwells as well at Leominster to see if they're willing to act as agents; they've got a classic car sale in May so that might be worth getting an advert in the catalogue if it's not gone...

Many thanks, some further options for me to explore here. Much appreciated, Euan

Back