Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lanes Lost - Kent

mrdelmonti

Supporter
Promoted Company
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Looks like more lanes have been lost to us, this time in Kent.

I received the following email earlier:

"Dear Sir / Madam

Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs) MR45A, Snodland and NS245 & NS221, Luddesdown, Making Permanent of the Experimental Scheme of Traffic Regulation

Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs) MR45A, NS245, NS221 and RS221 and Chapel Lane form a small network of BOATs and unclassified roads located on the border of Tonbridge and Malling Borough, Gravesham Borough and Medway Council Area. MR45A forms part of the North Downs Way National Trail. The BOATs provide access to a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The site is entirely situated within the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

In 2011 a report was produced for the Byways Working Group and Kent Countryside Access Forum following consultation with the local community, vehicle users, public rights of way user groups and other interested parties. The report was produced as a result of concerns being expressed about vehicle use of the BOAT’s and specifically damage to their surfaces, deliberate and damaging use of the margins and areas of land immediately beside them, wide spread vehicle trespass that was damaging to the SSSI and areas of agricultural land. Additionally fly tipping and other criminal activity had been identified as occurring.

The County Council and Medway Council introduced an experimental scheme as they wished to assess the impact of the scheme:

In reducing reported instances of antisocial behaviour/ criminal damage
In enabling the repair and recovery of the BOATs and their margins,
In allowing the recovery of ground flora within the SSSI.
In halting degradation of the BOAT surface resulting from vehicle use
In enabling more effective policing of the area,
In enabling responsible use by permit by motor vehicle users.

The Orders could have been amended at any time had it become clear that a change would improve their effectiveness. The Orders were kept under review and it did not prove necessary to amend them.

The effectiveness of the Orders in achieving their intended aims was assessed after 14 months of operation. The assessment indicated that the Orders had proved effective and a decision was taken to make Orders giving permanent effect to the experimental scheme of traffic regulation.

The County Council has, having consulted the Chief Police Officer, made permanent the Experimental Scheme of Traffic Regulation.

Please find enclosed:
a copy of the Orders.
a copy of the Councils’ Statement of Reasons in support of making the Orders.
a plan showing the route to which the TRO applies.
Yours faithfully
"

ScreenShot2014-01-17at161401_zps1c211f86.png

I've begun to think that maybe it's just not worth taking the truck laning anymore and I should just take the bike out instead, bikes have better support in the form of the TRF and much more access.

:thumbdown:

I'd like to do laning by bike! Would be great fun and you'd get a lot more lanes done! :thumbup:

Only draw back I can see is fuel range would be limited and your whole body may well ache for a few days afterwards! :think:

TRF definitely seem to be leading the way in fighting to keep the remaining lanes open. :clap:

Fuel range? I get nearly 200miles out of tank when I'm not hanging about, if I managed to do that many lanes on the bike in one day I think I'd collapse!

When I was on a laning trip in Wales with Steven (SAE70) a couple of guys on bikes stopped on one lane we were stuck on and we were talking to them for a while.
They were saying that the biggest problem for them is fuel range. They would park their van some where and camp out of it and each day go off laning on the bikes, and sometimes they would have to carry fuel cans on the back of the bikes and had also resorted to emptying the fuel out of the other 2 bikes into the other one so they could send it back to the van to get more fuel.

I guess it depends how big the fuel tank is on the bike. These guys were on road legal moto x bikes. :think:

Ah, well depending on the bike there's plenty of options for extra fuel capacity.

Do you see many bikes headed out on the trails in oz?

You don't see much out on the trails over here because there are so many! There are places where you can drive for days (weeks even) and not see anyone else. If you like off-roading, the UK is definitely the wrong country to be in.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah, well depending on the bike there's plenty of options for extra fuel capacity.

Do you see many bikes headed out on the trails in oz?

yeah see a few, there normally in big groups of 10-15. :icon-biggrin:

You don't see much out on the trails over here because there are so many! There are places where you can drive for days (weeks even) and not see anyone else. If you like off-roading, the UK is definitely the wrong country to be in.

Spot on :thumbup:

I cant think of a better country to live in and own a 4wd. :dance:

One of the main reasons I moved here! :flags-australia:

I'm still convinced that its only a matter of time until there wont be any lanes left in the UK that you can legally drive. :thumbdown:

Back